996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Doubt you have a problem at this time but I highly recommend you call Switzer, I would guess you need a mod to your programming to compensate for whatever changes were made.

On a follow up note, my request for the dynos and/or data numbers patent number from IPD has gone unanswered, I wanted to give them a benefit of a doubt but am finding these numbers heard to believe without tangible data.

I hate to be this guy but I am calling shenanigans on the claimed 35-40hp gains from a "patented Y" and TB on your average tuned turbo.

Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
Hello,
The first day i installed the plenum and the 74mmTB,everything was fine but the second day i had an issue:when i start the car the rpm goes to 1000 then drop to 800 after 20 seconds which is normal,but just after running the car 15 to 20min the rpm become 1200 ,i checked all vacuum lines and did pressure test,didnt find any leak,Do you think there is a problem with the new TB?at partial and wot the car is running well.
Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DEEPBLUE
I hate to be this guy but I am calling shenanigans on the claimed 35-40hp gains from a "patented Y" and TB on your average tuned turbo.
I would have to agree. Without solid data and i believe this needs to be done on an engine dyno where you have more control, i can only see a gain from a larger TB and not the plenum design.

In another world, i used to put the head and plenum on the flow bench and increase the TB until the head got the amount of air it needed. This way, i kept off boost performance and gained all i could on the positive side. Pretty much common sense stuff.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
And even then the gains would be minimal, I would believe 5-15hp at most (It is said the "butt dyno" can feel 10hp/tq difference).

I did a search on the patent database for intakes, intake shape and design, Y pipe and Y Pipe intakes, I coldnt find anythign remotely close, my request tp IPD for a patent number remains.

evil, I agree, true empirical data is would be done with constants such as controlled enviroment and smae motor.

Btw, Back when I was into Mustangs/Saleens, I remember a conversation about the smoothing of the inside of the intake vs rough, the NA cars benefited from a rough tb and intake as it "swirled" the air more (similar to previous posts here), whereas the boosted motors benefited from the smooth.

Originally Posted by evil 996tt
I would have to agree. Without solid data and i believe this needs to be done on an engine dyno where you have more control, i can only see a gain from a larger TB and not the plenum design.

In another world, i used to put the head and plenum on the flow bench and increase the TB until the head got the amount of air it needed. This way, i kept off boost performance and gained all i could on the positive side. Pretty much common sense stuff.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
The gains i noticed were hard to pinpoint as i didn't care to test one item. When building a motor, one must have a goal and build to suite.

That being said, You must treat it as a system. Meaning, you lose restriction in the whole intake and exhaust track. Large inlet so you don't choke the turbo, large IC pipes, proper IC's, large TB and a intake that can support the head/cam combo. After that the header, just needs to transfir the highest energy to spin the turbo and after the turbo, zero restriction.

And when i am saying " large", i mean large enough to support the head. Too large and you lose a ton of off boost performance and gas mileage.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey Guys, Did you read my Dyno results on the thread I posted?
Also in that thread it said about my 1200rpm idle after I got home from Dyno.
MY gas mileage stayed the same only at steady cruising But went down a few in city driving if I got into throttle but I did get better throttle response.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
MY gas mileage stayed the same only at steady cruising But went down a few in city driving if I got into throttle but I did get better throttle response.
John, I did and this is not a dig but, I can't see why your idle would change without a mechanical issue(and I don't know what, just saying).

Regarding throttle response, when I say too big a TB and you lose throttle response, it is only when you stab at the throttle to start(like at a traffic light start).

If the TB is too big, the ecu can't send enough fuel quick enough to mix with the additional air a larger TB can quickly let in.(not boosted, in vacuum-n/a). When using a stand alone ecu, you have to add fuel. perhaps the Porsche ecu can do this. I'm new at this so, I'm not sure.

A smaller TB almost always allows for quicker response(n/a).

When changing the intake "system" to an over all larger system, I noticed I can usually lower the boost by a pound or so and make the same hp. This is common because you are no longer trying to force the air through the restrictions.(creating heat, etc..).

Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
John, havent seen your dyno yet, still researching some things on another thread you are on as well. Have a link by chance?

As for your 1200 idle or any idle issues with a resized bolt on tb, youre going to have issues if the dme (ecu) isn't sure how to respond to. In this case you changed the throttle body and y pipe, this will change some variables good or bad and the dme needs to compensate.

My first question is whose code do you have? I'd call them and tell them you changed out the throttle body and whatever else so they can adjust the program.

Please post a link to your thread.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evil 996tt
John, I did and this is not a dig but, I can't see why your idle would change without a mechanical issue(and I don't know what, just saying).

Regarding throttle response, when I say too big a TB and you lose throttle response, it is only when you stab at the throttle to start(like at a traffic light start).

If the TB is too big, the ecu can't send enough fuel quick enough to mix with the additional air a larger TB can quickly let in.(not boosted, in vacuum-n/a). When using a stand alone ecu, you have to add fuel. perhaps the Porsche ecu can do this. I'm new at this so, I'm not sure.

A smaller TB almost always allows for quicker response(n/a).

When changing the intake "system" to an over all larger system, I noticed I can usually lower the boost by a pound or so and make the same hp. This is common because you are no longer trying to force the air through the restrictions.(creating heat, etc..).
HI, Sorry you did not read everything .All the update posts, as most don't..lol.
Been thru this to much already..
Also from what I have seen in real life and experienced..A bigger TB, if not Too Big, will most of the time add part throttle response because the throttle plate lets more air in at the same opening..Most computers will compensate for that requirement But not at wide open IF the motor combo can use the extra air flow and there is not enough fuel to supply.

Last edited by johnspeed; 08-25-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
There was no code when my cars idle went to that steady 1200 RPMs,,
Which was after the dyno testing when I got home after just beating/driving hard on the highway...
One of the 3 small hoses in the left front of the plenum popped off..
After it was put back on, it idled at a perfect 750rpm as it did on the dyno..

Old 08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
John, no sorry. I didn't read your whole thread. I will check it out but, my gut still tells me that only a larger TB will help and it will only help a modded car and at higher rev ranges.

regarding your TB experience, I find what your saying to be true. A TB that is large but not too large will give you hp gains and some throttle response but, only if the ecu can recalibrate for the extra air getting introduced much faster than a smaller one.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Johns dyno graphs are on his thread and I looked at them. Temps for both graphs were within 1 degree and to be honest, I would not pay for such a little difference in power if that is typical. I would like to see some dyno's from other customers with positive(or negative) results. One dyno test on either side of this discussion isn't the be all end all of any point. There could have been other issues on either sides dyno test.

But Chris did ask the question, about proof from Greg, so when greg gets back on we can get more info. I would also like to hear about positive or negative results with Vivids plenum, which does copy the factory unit just larger. If the bellows pulse balance theory is right, then the vivid unit should work better. But I have not heard anything either way.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Johns dyno graphs are on his thread and I looked at them. Temps for both graphs were within 1 degree and to be honest, I would not pay for such a little difference in power if that is typical. I would like to see some dyno's from other customers with positive(or negative) results. One dyno test on either side of this discussion isn't the be all end all of any point. There could have been other issues on either sides dyno test.

But Chris did ask the question, about proof from Greg, so when greg gets back on we can get more info. I would also like to hear about positive or negative results with Vivids plenum, which does copy the factory unit just larger. If the bellows pulse balance theory is right, then the vivid unit should work better. But I have not heard anything either way.
Theres more to dyno temps then air temp..Its called heat soak that happens in the motor and more so in the air intake components after the turbo components from making a dyno pull..Most fans can Not simulate going down the road..
As I said before,,the IPD plenum has the nicest front short side radius I have ever seen..

Last edited by johnspeed; 08-27-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Concerning my issue,i need your help guys,first 15min the idle is normal at 800rpm but just after it begins to increase to hit 1200rpm,if it was a vacuum/boost leak i think it should directly increase to 1200 ,maybe its a TB issue?what are your thoughts?
Thanks

Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
There was no code when my cars idle went to that steady 1200 RPMs,,
Which was after the dyno testing when I got home after just beating/driving hard on the highway...
One of the 3 small hoses in the left front of the plenum popped off..
After it was put back on, it idled at a perfect 750rpm as it did on the dyno..
Did the idle went to 1200 RPM directly after you start the car or stayed normal at 800 then increase to 1200 after 10 to 15min?
Thanks

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
Did the idle went to 1200 RPM directly after you start the car or stayed normal at 800 then increase to 1200 after 10 to 15min?
Thanks
When I got off highway it was at 1200.
Got home and disconnected battery to see if reset would help..It didn't.
AT start up it went from around normal idle then went right away to straight 1200.
Car was warmed fully.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: plenum