996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
Concerning my issue,i need your help guys,first 15min the idle is normal at 800rpm but just after it begins to increase to hit 1200rpm,if it was a vacuum/boost leak i think it should directly increase to 1200 ,maybe its a TB issue?what are your thoughts?
Thanks
What happens if you turn on your A/C?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
What happens if you turn on your A/C?
if i turn the AC on the idle goes from 1200 to 900 RPM.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
if i turn the AC on the idle goes from 1200 to 900 RPM.
sunds like a vacume leak.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a vacuum leak...

If you ever experience any issues related to any IPD products we are always here to answer any questions and help resolve any and all issues related to our products. 99% of all problems related to IPD Plenums are typically the result of an error during the installation process. This holds especially true with the 996 Turbo applications. The 996 Turbo Plenums are without question the most difficult of all Plenums to install and should only be performed by a qualified Porsche tech who is very familiar with 996 Turbos.

If an IPD Plenum for any Porsche application is installed correctly there should be absolutely ZERO running issues, ZERO CEL’s and deliver GREAT performance gains. That being said, IPD Plenums (as well as any other after-market performance mods for that matter) should ONLY be installed on a vehicle in good running condition that has been properly serviced and maintained. You should NEVER install performance parts on a car that’s experiencing any kind of running issues or is in need of service.

Bottom line, you are experiencing a vacuum leak. The most likely source of the vacuum leak is below the Plenum and throttle body where 4 vacuum lines are joined by a 4-way rubber vacuum line connector. It is VERY easy for one or more of these lines to become disconnected during the installation process, especially if the lines have any oil residue. We even recommend zip tying the rubber connector to the plastic vacuum lines to ensure a secure hold and prevent accidental disconnecting of the lines.

The other possibility is that the rubber boots that connect the Plenum to the intake manifold are not properly seated and/or properly clamped. It is critical that the manifold boots are correctly positioned with the hose clamps evenly aligned in the proper position to preventing “walking” when tightening the clamps. You need a small mirror to see the back side of the clamps to confirm that the clamps are in fact properly aligned.

We haven’t sold 20, 50 or even a few hundred of these, we’ve sold well over a thousand and when they’re installed correctly on a properly serviced Turbo they will deliver 35+ HP and Torque at the wheels while producing quicker boost response and a stronger pull throughout the entire power band on both bone stock and highly modded Turbos.

If anyone has any other questions, concerns or are experiencing any problems related to the IPD Plenums please drop us an e-mail or give us a call. We have been doing this for a long time and I swear, we actually know what we’re doing, really! We stand behind our entire product line and pride ourselves on having the best customer service and best after-market Porsche performance parts available, period.

Cheers,
IPD Greg

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Theres more to dyno temps then air temp..Its called heat soak that happens in the motor and more so in the air intake components after the turbo components from making a dyno pull..Most fans can simulate going down the road..
As I said before,,the IPD plenum has the nicest front short side radius I have ever seen..
ok cool ,then all is good. good to hear

Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=Prche951;3626684]ok cool ,then all is good. good to hear[/QUOTE
WOW..I made a wording mistake , hate these phones,
Most Fans Can Not simulate road conditions.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about the issues your having. Just to share my experience, I myself have a fully built 996tt and actually purchased two plenums. I used a 996tt plenum and then i ended upgrading to a the 997tt manifols which required me to run the 997tt model. Never had any issues. I personally experience is a much better spool resonse which is huge when running bigger turbos. I'm sure you'll get your car running right but it does sound like a vac leak. Good luck!

Make sure Greg gets you your free ipd sticker for an extra 15whp lol. jk

Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
The 997 turbo Intake system is superior compared to our 996 turbo..
IF I ever find a used set up for a good price I would go with it..

Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by bimmer81
Sorry to hear about the issues your having. Just to share my experience, I myself have a fully built 996tt and actually purchased two plenums. I used a 996tt plenum and then i ended upgrading to a the 997tt manifols which required me to run the 997tt model. Never had any issues. I personally experience is a much better spool resonse which is huge when running bigger turbos. I'm sure you'll get your car running right but it does sound like a vac leak. Good luck!

Make sure Greg gets you your free ipd sticker for an extra 15whp lol. jk
Do you think the larger TB could have helped that also?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Do you think a smoke test will help more than pressure test since we can see the smoke coming out?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Do you think a smoke test will help more than pressure test since we can see the smoke coming out?
Smoke test is not the best to show leaks

Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
I think they both hold their own value.. I think the smoke test can show some tiny pita leaks..

But a pressure test up to 30 psi , in invaluable .

Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Yes sir.. Smoke first then psi. Small boost leaks mean $hit. vacuum leaks ar another story though.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IPD Greg
The 996 Turbo Plenums are without question the most difficult of all Plenums to install and should only be performed by a qualified Porsche tech who is very familiar with 996 Turbos.

We have been doing this for a long time and I swear, we actually know what we’re doing, really! We stand behind our entire product line and pride ourselves on having the best customer service and best after-market Porsche performance parts available, period.

Cheers,
IPD Greg

I know they are difficult, the Guy that installed mine did so with the check valve in the wrong direction despite have done numerous installs of the product. Did a road test first to make sure there were no oil or water leaks to worry about and noticed it was not building the proper amount of boost, when we did a leak check we were puzzled where the pressure was going. At first we thought it was a bad diverter valve then we quickly figured out the check valve was in the wrong direction.... Opps dumb error actually made by a pro, that is why it is a good idea to have the item installed by someone that knows what they are doing, small errors or oversights can create issues and increased costs and hurt performance if not taken care of. So problem quickly fixed and then all was well. After all my mods the car is very very very noticeably better. Just like IDP (Ironically Polish Designed) claims; my car showed a very noticable initial boost responce. The same person who installed my IDP Plenum also installed my new ERP tripple carbon clutch with me as he has one on his car and has work with ERP to hone the design of the product. I love my Gen 4 ERP tripple carbon clutch too. This second Gen 4 unit in use on a porsche so far. I am sure there are many more to come as this clutch is stellar. The lugging rattle sound it makes can be loud at times but the clutch works and feels super.

The same person that installed the clutch and plenum also invited me over to his house for great supper with his family and relatives that were visiting; he knew I was a long way from home. I really did appreciate his customer service and care he showed me. Absolutely second to none customer service and hospitality, that is not even a slight exaggeration.

So I will say Thanks IDP mike for helping me with my car and thanks for the great meal with your family (mmm pic attached) You throw a great party and build a great product. And spechil Greg it was wonderful meeting you too.

Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Hello,
Finally i found the issue:
After doing several pressure tests and removing the plenum and the TB to check every vacuum line,i am sure that everything is in his place and there is no leak,then i removed the TB from my 997tt and installed it in my 996gt2,the issue is gone,now i am sure that the new TB i received from IPD is defective,i hope he will send me another one.
Ali

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: plenum