996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How many owners drive above 3,000 rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I tend to drive above 3k most of the time when cruising around town. On the freeway I will cruise at 70 in 6th which is only around 2400rpm. If I need to accelerate I'll always downshift as to not lug the engine. I have a stock dual mass flywheel and clutch and have not had any RMS/IMS issues and my car makes almost no IMS noise unlike others I've heard.

Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
The 996 Turbo engine is obviously not air cooled.
Not entirely accurate. This car has a 964 air/oil cooled block and water cooled heads so there may still be some things that apply from the air cooled era. As to whether this is one of them I don't know.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
The gearing is way too tall to drive this car in high rpm all the time. You'd be breaking speed limits left and right
At 3000 rpm:
1st gear = 17 mph
2nd gear = 32 mph
3rd gear = 46 mph
4th gear = 58 mph
5th gear = 71 mph
6th gear = 87 mph

I am sure you can find a gear that suits your speed limits. Those numbers are based on a 25.2 inch tire.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Not entirely accurate. This car has a 964 air/oil cooled block and water cooled heads so there may still be some things that apply from the air cooled era. As to whether this is one of them I don't know.
It's accurate in terms of traditional Porsche vernacular.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:16 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Most of my around town driving is around 55mph. It just seems unnatural to me to be driving at like 3.5k rpm the whole time. I've never driven any manual car like that. If you're just cruising around, between 2.5k and 3k is perfect IMO.

If they didn't want you to drive in low rpm, I'm sure they would've made this car all about top end like some of the NA high rev motors. Torque doesn't make much sense if you can't drive in lower rpm.

Originally Posted by Prche951
At 3000 rpm:
1st gear = 17 mph
2nd gear = 32 mph
3rd gear = 46 mph
4th gear = 58 mph
5th gear = 71 mph
6th gear = 87 mph

I am sure you can find a gear that suits your speed limits. Those numbers are based on a 25.2 inch tire.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
since reading this thread and monitoring how i drive, i have found that the car drives very happily at revs of 2000 to 2750 without issue or complaint. i know "lugging" as i grew up driving 1100 cc vw bugs, and the turbo at those aforementioned engine speeds is NOT lugging. this personal sample comports with my view that i have an ( approx ) 550hp karmann ghia.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
At 3000 rpm:
1st gear = 17 mph
2nd gear = 32 mph
3rd gear = 46 mph
4th gear = 58 mph
5th gear = 71 mph
6th gear = 87 mph

I tried to go around 40 in a 35 zone this morning and the RPMs and car seemed very high (2nd gear). You barely let off and it was like putting on the brakes!

I still see no confirmation from anything Porsche saying to even do this... So seems this debate is moot anyway...

Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I think when you are in tune with your car that you can feel and hear the sweet spot to shift and cruise at..

Old 09-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I paid attention to my RPM today when I went for a ride about town. I find that I have no problem getting down to 1500 RPM in at times in second or third with no load when just coasting. There is absolutely no strain on the engine. Maintaining 3000 RPM makes no sense unless you expect to be accelerating soon.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Torque doesn't make much sense if you can't drive in lower rpm.
Couldn't agree more.

One of the great things about the Turbo is you don't have to motor around with the engine all wound up (>3000 RPM) to get any real-world street performance out of it. Had I wanted a car that you needed to wind up to high RPM to get any performance I would have bought a GT3. But I wasn't interested in continual engine frenzy, so I drive a Turbo.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
My car is at idle or between 5000-7000 rpm, occasionally 4500 rpm. That's it.

But I do have a 5 inch cup car clutch and flywheel.
Dez, how has your car been holding up ? with those rpms ?

Originally Posted by raineycd
So have we found any documentation that this is even mentioned by Porsche or is Enrique standing to close to the welder again? :-)

I tried to stay above 3k this morning and it is not something the car seems to be geared for unless you shift at 5.5-6k everytime...

Naw, to busy putting stickers on my car making it look fast.

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I tend to drive above 3k most of the time when cruising around town. On the freeway I will cruise at 70 in 6th which is only around 2400rpm. If I need to accelerate I'll always downshift as to not lug the engine. I have a stock dual mass flywheel and clutch and have not had any RMS/IMS issues and my car makes almost no IMS noise unlike others I've heard.

Thank you buddy... btw lets meet up this weekend so can hear my car and i can hear your EP.

http://www.brrperformance.com/blog/?p=1643

Our cars also suffer from IMS from what I'm hearing from Sharky and other sources.

"Also, make sure you drive your Porsche as it was intended to be driven! We like to see the revs kept above 2,500 rpm – higher rpms provide better protection than lower rpms for the IMS bearing (more on why this is so further down this page). Just make sure you’re engine’s warmed up first before putting a large load or high rpms on it! There are also other side benefits of driving your Porsche the way it was meant to be driven…..the clogged air passages, the air/oil separator, the RMS."

http://upstateimports.com/Porsche_IMS_bearing.html

samething here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...911-not-2.html

some other mortal doing the same thing and being told the same as me.

http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/07/20...-carrera-911s/

and more....

that was just a 30 second search.

I have read enough. Those whom don't drive their car above 3,000 rpm are set in stone on their ways, and their are others whom do drive above 3,000 rpms, have the same experience as i do....

Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I tend to shift at about 3,000 rpm when cruising and downshift with a blip at about 2,300. That's all part throttle driving. The engine doesn't feel like its lugging by any means.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Naw, to busy putting stickers on my car making it look fast.

http://www.brrperformance.com/blog/?p=1643

Our cars also suffer from IMS from what I'm hearing from Sharky and other sources.

http://upstateimports.com/Porsche_IMS_bearing.html

samething here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...911-not-2.html

some other mortal doing the same thing and being told the same as me.

http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/07/20...-carrera-911s/

and more....

that was just a 30 second search.
None of those "references" pertain to our engines... One specifically says it does not pertain to the turbo. One is for a 930, one is for a 993.

You mentioned that you read this in the manual, did you make that up as well as the links to non-turbo engines?

I think you are just an attention ***** and looking to get some more shameless plugs for your business... But hey, it's 'merica. F'ck Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0Bssnm1mw

Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
None of those "references" pertain to our engines... One specifically says it does not pertain to the turbo. One is for a 930, one is for a 993.

You mentioned that you read this in the manual, did you make that up as well as the links to non-turbo engines?

I think you are just an attention ***** and looking to get some more shameless plugs for your business... But hey, it's 'merica. F'ck Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0Bssnm1mw

Eric posted references of some of the components the 996/997t cars share with the 964. IMS, from what sharky is saying is also on the 996t/ 997t as of lately- so no its not just the N/A cars anymore. Think what you want.

You can think what you want about a shameless plugs - i have not referenced my company at all on this thread-- but of course that is difficult for an irrational individual to understand.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Eric posted references of some of the components the 996/997t cars share with the 964. IMS, from what sharky is saying is also on the 996t/ 997t as of lately- so no its not just the N/A cars anymore. Think what you want.

You can think what you want about a shameless plugs - i have not referenced my company at all on this thread-- but of course that is difficult for an irrational individual to understand.
Where did Sharky reference needing to stay over 3k all the time? He never mentioned it only you in reference to some random friend with an older Porsche.

Then you post you read it in the manual yet you can't provide any reference. Why you making **** up and then taking personal shots at me? I guess if you don't have any facts the only thing you got is to act like a 5 year old and talk trash about my car... Good job!!!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Where did Sharky reference needing to stay over 3k all the time? He never mentioned it only you in reference to some random friend with an older Porsche.

Then you post you read it in the manual yet you can't provide any reference. Why you making **** up and then taking personal shots at me? I guess if you don't have any facts the only thing you got is to act like a 5 year old and talk trash about my car... Good job!!!

Read post 22, https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3628931

I admitted I was wrong, it does not state in the manual. As for the personal shots, I think your irrational behavior started that. I'll be sure to ignore your uneducated responses from here on out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many owners drive above 3,000 rpm