996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What aftermarket radio looks good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
What aftermarket radio looks good?

Hey guys,
I am not a fan of the looks of an aftermarket deck in a car but the stock CD player in the 996 is not the greatest so I was thinking about changing it. The one thing that I would like is blue tooth in the deck for hands free phone use.

Anyway any decks out there that look like they belong in the 996?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Not sure if its what you're looking for, but here's mine...

Name:  ad1383ab.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  77.9 KB

it's a kenwood ddx419 i believe.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I thought about doing this, but my car is so loud I seriously doubt talking on the phone is possible.

Here is what I replaced my CD player with:

Attached Images   

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 10-16-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
crappy pic, but here's my excelon kenwood with a console delete underneath:

Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Those look very good. Keep em coming guys.

Kapoosh, did you have a nav unit to begin with? My climate control unit is up at the top.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Those look very good. Keep em coming guys.

Kapoosh, did you have a nav unit to begin with? My climate control unit is up at the top.
There are double din kits available to mount an aftermarket double din radio in the center top slot. You just relocate the climate control down to the bottom. It's really simple actually; you just need the replacement trim plate for the lower center console. For me, I have the hi-fi option, and the console trim piece for the hi-fi module fit was useable for the climate control as well. I got my double din mount off fleebay. Fitment is nice, but the gentleman above me; his kit looks nicer than mine.

I don't have a good picture I fear; but I run a Clarion navigation.

If you're looking for bluetooth, I would encourage you to also get an external mic for your setup and mount it up high near the visor. The background noise from the car makes it hard for others to hear you if you're using the built-in mic in your radio. At least; that has been my experience.

I would really consider a double din setup if you're going to change out your radio; not many cars actually accept a double din setup and you can get a great looking radio with a screen for a good price. Hell, you don't even have to get navigation if you don't want to; $500 would get you a nice double din stereo.

Chris

Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
Not sure if its what you're looking for, but here's mine...

it's a kenwood ddx419 i believe.
Where did you get your double din kit? The cover plate is sharp.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Bought the kit off ebay, I relocated the climate controls.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-PORSCH...item3375a80f35

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
Bought the kit off ebay, I relocated the climate controls.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-PORSCH...item3375a80f35
That's the kit I bought; but your trim plate looks different from mine. My trim plate has the Porsche logo on the bottom of the radio whereas yours is on the top.

Interesting.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The stock stuff was weak even when new. If you going to replace the head unit, go with a double din (so you can see the nav) then plan on replacing everything including the amp and speakers. Dump the CD player. An good Ipod interface works so much better.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Originally Posted by randomquickness
crappy pic, but here's my excelon kenwood with a console delete underneath:
I have the same one but I set it so the illumination to match the Porsche amber color pretty well

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I have a 2004 996TT .. which comes with MOST ... I bought a non-MOST OEM amp a while ago so I can wire an aftermarket AVIC unit ... can anybody tell me the part number for the wire harness for the non-MOST OEM amp..??

Thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Here's my setup. It's a Kenwood DNX9990HD head unit with factory cup holders mounted in the lower console.

I used the cage that came with the headunit, bought the wiring harness and antenna adapter on ebay and made the face plate.

The faceplate is a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass with the back side painted black. This give the faceplate a deep high gloss finish similar to the head unit (hard to tell in the picture).

The cup holders are not complete as I have a new cup holder surround to trim. My Dremel battery went dead when trimming the cup holder surround and I tried something else. Bad idea, as I basically "hacked up" the cup holder surround.

FYI getting the cup holder to work like this is a royal PITA. The stock cup holder doesn't even come close to fitting, so it's definitely a custom project. You will need to significantly cut down the cup holder chassis, its surround and also trim the opening in the console slightly.

When that's complete you will need to build a frame to mount the cup holder chassis to and attach it to the console. After this is complete, you will have a functional cup holder, but not a great cup holder. It's not only shallow, but now at an angle. Basically you undertake the cup holder project at your own risk.

Later, Steve

Name:  Interior.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  88.6 KB

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
That's the kit I bought; but your trim plate looks different from mine. My trim plate has the Porsche logo on the bottom of the radio whereas yours is on the top.

Interesting.

I noticed that too...mine was definitely from that seller though. I've had mine for over a year though, maybe he's changed it since then.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Name:  788C8807-6B5B-4E96-B9FE-C87D857C9426-30429-00002194F1BC5F5D.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  145.1 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What aftermarket radio looks good?