996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What Should My Next Mods Be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
What Should My Next Mods Be?

So I am allowing myself to spend about $8k on the car. I have been doing tons of research and can't decide where I want to put the money. The big debate is handling vs. more power. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Tune, DV valves,exhaust and 997 short shifter for sure to start with..
You will get other's opinions and then do a search and compare notes..
Good Luck..

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Tune, DV valves,exhaust and 997 short shifter for sure to start with..
You will get other's opinions and then do a search and compare notes..
Good Luck..
I have al of those mods, other than the short shifter, but I am stuck on what to do next.

Last edited by scsponger31; 10-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scsponger31
I have al of those mods, other than the short shifter, but I am stuck on what to do next.
You have to get that shifter, it will make the car so much more enjoyable..
Now bang for the buck is going to get costly for the return..
Maybe intercoolers next,those do work but more so if you ever go to bigger turbos or dealing with high heat.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Short shifter is a great mod. GT2 clutch conversion is awesome mod. I would be looking at handling modifications if I were in your shoes, like some of the RSS components. Also some of the preventive maintenance might be a nice thing to throw a chunk of that budget at, like the water line mods. Keep the rest in your pocket for when you actually need it, or save for something you know you want without second guessing. Keep us posted on what you decided to do.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by kwei
Short shifter is a great mod. GT2 clutch conversion is awesome mod. I would be looking at handling modifications if I were in your shoes, like some of the RSS components. Also some of the preventive maintenance might be a nice thing to throw a chunk of that budget at, like the water line mods. Keep the rest in your pocket for when you actually need it, or save for something you know you want without second guessing. Keep us posted on what you decided to do.
Sounds like I need to do a short shifter. I have thought about having the coolant lines welded but have been putting them off.m

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like you've already picked the low hanging fruit on both the power and handling side. More power past the tune and exhaust gets expensive quick. Hybrid turbos with bigger intercoolers. Hopefully GIAC will cut you a break on an updated tune. Depending on your boost goals you'll have to decide between 997.2 IC's or all metal aftermarket ones (at twice the price). For sure do the 997 short shifter, solid rubber motor mounts (Suncoast sells a kit) and 997 tranny mount. These are all easy DYI. Suspension could use some firming up. Consider rear dog bones, adjustable toe links, drop links and sway bars. I'd hold off on the coolant fittings and GT2 slave conversion until you need a clutch (or a fitting you can't get to blows). Pulling the engine isn't cheap.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 10-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Looks like you've already picked the low hanging fruit on both the power and handling side. More power past the tune and exhaust gets expensive quick. Hybrid turbos with bigger intercoolers. Hopefully GIAC will cut you a break on an updated tune. Depending on your boost goals you'll have to decide between 997.2 IC's or all metal aftermarket ones (at twice the price). For sure do the 997 short shifter, solid rubber motor mounts (Suncoast sells a kit) and 997 tranny mount. These are all easy DYI. Suspension could use some firming up. Consider rear dog bones, adjustable toe links, drop links and sway bars. I'd hold off on the coolant fittings and GT2 slave conversion until you need a clutch (or a fitting you can't get to blows). Pulling the engine isn't cheap.
I like the way you worded my current mod list!

How much power can stock clutch handle? Should I be upgrading that before IC's and turbos?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'd add a set of these to the list:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=335

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Are you running stock non X50 K16 turbos?

For 8K you can probably get power and handling mods if you do it right.

The fuel system will get you to the limits of pump gas with 5 bar fuel pressure regulator.

I woudl say get:

Upgraded Turbos (you can get your turbos hybridized)
5 BAR FPR
997.2 IC (used)
Coil-overs
Rear Sway Bar (H&R)
15mm spacers all around
Alignment with more front camber

Voila. $8K. max power (600-650HP), max handling on a budget!

Personally, I removed the engine mounts and light weight flywheel after paying buying them and paying to get them installed. They were too much compromise for my taste.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
danny did you get the pop out fixed? if not fix that and weld the coolant lines. add a numeric racing short shifter and send the k24 to blouch for rebuild. while the engine is out air intake lines and injectors for the k24 turbos. that should eat most of the cash up and set you up for a long run with little issues

Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
Are you running stock non X50 K16 turbos?

For 8K you can probably get power and handling mods if you do it right.

The fuel system will get you to the limits of pump gas with 5 bar fuel pressure regulator.

I woudl say get:

Upgraded Turbos (you can get your turbos hybridized)
5 BAR FPR
997.2 IC (used)
Coil-overs
Rear Sway Bar (H&R)
15mm spacers all around
Alignment with more front camber

Voila. $8K. max power (600-650HP), max handling on a budget!

Personally, I removed the engine mounts and light weight flywheel after paying buying them and paying to get them installed. They were too much compromise for my taste.
I still have the stock Turbos. Can the stock clutch handle the added power from the bigger turbos?

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
danny did you get the pop out fixed? if not fix that and weld the coolant lines. add a numeric racing short shifter and send the k24 to blouch for rebuild. while the engine is out air intake lines and injectors for the k24 turbos. that should eat most of the cash up and set you up for a long run with little issues
Pop out is fixed

Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if you have the gmg build you have oem k24 as an upgrade from the k16. send them to blouch or go alpha 28 clucth is going to be needed if you push the car hard

Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
While under the car I wrote down this part number that was on the turbos, part # 5324-101-5075. I can't figure out if that is k24's or not. I may have call GMG and see I they have records on the car.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey, I might be upgrading to Tial Alpha 3071 from my present Blouch K24/18g's ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Should My Next Mods Be?