996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New 3" X pipe exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I had a 2.75'' catless Fabspeed X-pipe and it had their 4 individual mufflers on it,,all I can say it was the sound was very annoying in the cab and I went back to my 100 cell Milltek and am a happy camper again..

Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
John, It's all in the design of the system. As a manufacturer, you have to spend the time to test the sound of various components, not just make a pipe to fit or look cool, as that usually does not work out sound-wise...as an alternate viewpoint of a 3" X-Pipe that the owner did not find annoying, I just received this email minutes ago from a customer that just installed a SpeedTech 3.0 X-Pipe:

Hi John!
You've asked me to provide you some feedback.
Here it is : I love it!
Finally made it and put it back together following your guidelines.
The cold start up is killer,my favorite part. It quiets down as it warms up,which I like and it comes alive going up gears.
I think I've made the perfect choice getting your system. I've heard them all and for me, in order to spend for a new system, it had to have made a big difference from stock. I didn't want to spend almost 5K and get a little difference. I wanted GT3 sound and for a Turbo, it is pretty close. Love to hear those Turbo spool too!

They are all different (X-Pipes) and IMO, many of the X-Pipes on the market are not the best sounding. We took the time to insure our sound was something the typical 996TT owner would love and we get similar emails to this one all the time!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
John, It's all in the design of the system. As a manufacturer, you have to spend the time to test the sound of various components, not just make a pipe to fit or look cool, as that usually does not work out sound-wise...as an alternate viewpoint of a 3" X-Pipe that the owner did not find annoying, I just received this email minutes ago from a customer that just installed a SpeedTech 3.0 X-Pipe:

Hi John!
You've asked me to provide you some feedback.
Here it is : I love it!
Finally made it and put it back together following your guidelines.
The cold start up is killer,my favorite part. It quiets down as it warms up,which I like and it comes alive going up gears.
I think I've made the perfect choice getting your system. I've heard them all and for me, in order to spend for a new system, it had to have made a big difference from stock. I didn't want to spend almost 5K and get a little difference. I wanted GT3 sound and for a Turbo, it is pretty close. Love to hear those Turbo spool too!

They are all different (X-Pipes) and IMO, many of the X-Pipes on the market are not the best sounding. We took the time to insure our sound was something the typical 996TT owner would love and we get similar emails to this one all the time!

True,,
As you know though, cats and muffler design goes hand in hand with any system...As does the most important spec is the pipe diameter to make a complete package..

Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I think people confuse loudness with drone. Loudness of an exhaust can be controlled by a muffler. The number, type, and size of the mufflers can decrease the loudness (inside the cabin and outside of the car) of the exhaust. Adding large mufflers can also decrease the drone.

What I wanted was an exhaust that sounded aggressive, was pretty loud, but didn't have any drone (aka: the low frequency vibration that rattles things in the car... including your brain). Adding the helmholtz resonators eliminated the drone and then Chris was able to separately tune the loudness of the exhaust to exactly the sound that I wanted using the smallest sized mufflers that were necessary. Obviously the loudness/sound of the exhaust can be tweaked based on an owners preference.

If you just use a muffler to eliminate drone, you end up with a massive, heavy system, that muffles the sound and reduces flow (stock exhaust).

I'm still extremely happy with my setup. The wife and I took the car out to C&C in Richmond yesterday, which is about a 45 min, mostly highway, drive each way. Not a single complaint about drone despite keeping the rpms at 2400-2800 the entire time. My TBSS with stock exhaust draws more complaints than the Porsche. So trust me, she would let me know if there was drone

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_zps34a86236.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	375955  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Clips yet?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by stilov
Clips yet?
Still haven't gotten around to it This would have been the perfect weekend to get some video but the car is in the paint shop right now... I promise I'll get around to it soon!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 PM
kchociej will become famous soon enoughkchociej will become famous soon enough
What did the whole setup cost including resonator?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 PM
9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough
What does this sound like....

The "love hump"

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4090768x1024_zpsa11adebe.jpg
Views:	2978
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	389127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092768x1024_zpseeac5e90.jpg
Views:	1655
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	389128  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
^ this looks absolutely insane.. but would it not just sound like a cat bypass, or possibly an aftermarket exhaust with an exhaust leak?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by split
^ this looks absolutely insane.. but would it not just sound like a cat bypass, or possibly an aftermarket exhaust with an exhaust leak?

Not sure why it would sound like a leak. Those tubes are capped, so all the sound exits at the tips....

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Was that designed by a plumber? LOL..

Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Dual outlet post cat ? Where do the secondary tubes plumb back into if they are capped ?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Guys the extra pipes are capped at the end, it's not for more flow. It's a resonator, removes drone through a mathematical calculation of wave length canceling. Most of these type of pipes are quarter length resonators.

Often referred to as Helmholtz chambers but are technically not the same but used for the same purpose.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Those are resonators designed to cancel out drone. Something pretty much no other exhaust manufacturer here has any clue about...
Starting to suspect this is true.

-V

Old 06-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Those are resonators designed to cancel out drone. Something pretty much no other exhaust manufacturer here has any clue about... Incredible craftsmanship Chris!
Well some do just not in the porsche market.

Apparently corsa has this theory incorporated in their mufflers and have for a while.

I think I'm going to do it in my x pipe I built. Won't be nearly as pretty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 3" X pipe exhaust