6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Can I get some opinions from supra owners, past or present (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/295015-can-i-get-some-opinions-supra-owners-past-present.html)

SY6TTX50 12-17-2012 11:36 PM

I currently own both and a lot of good points have already been discussed in here. If you want something as a daily driver, go with the 996tt.

Steve Theodore 12-18-2012 07:28 AM

OP, for a different perspective you might talk to 6Speed member 'SupraViper'. He has a really well built GT2 and I believe still owns an incredible 95 Supra T hardtop. Regardless, he has experience with extremely built versions of both platforms, meaning 1000+ whp examples. Assuming cost isn't the biggest constraint, he could probably offer a unique perspective that way.

ttboost 12-18-2012 08:20 AM

Owned both. Choose 996tt every time...

cuemaster 12-18-2012 08:26 AM

great question op because they are two of the best platforms in terms of bang for the buck.

they are very different beasts and I come down on the supra side because I like the more uncontrolled wildness of the supra.
the rarity, the looks, and the crazy symphony of intake wastegate exaust and blow off, not to mention the ability to step it
out at will or do a burn out, its just a more visceral ride.
that said,
the Porsche is a superbly built machine groomed through racing, its reliable and sure footed, and faster than 98% of anything
else on the road. its mods and minor fixes are expensive but the build out of Stuttgart is so tight you would have to work
at it to break something so the repair costs are less frequent than just about any other car.

I've come to the position of having my singled supra for the summer and a
Porsche cayenne turbo for the cold Michigan months and id say this may be the perfect situation for me.

Steve Jarvis 12-18-2012 07:20 PM

This thread is right down my alley. :)

I have owned 2 Supras. I put 40,000 miles on the first and 100,000 miles on the second. They have progressed to several different states of tune. From stock with just an exhaust, lowering springs all the way to a single turbo with full suspension, big brake kit and multiple wheel/tire setups.

I have driven these Supras on the road-course in all these different states of tune as well. As my mods were designed around a daily driver that was used 3-4 time a year on the road-course, my turbo was relatively small (63mm). The car made 540rwhp on a 93/100 octane mix and around 500rwhp on 93 octane.

I have only driven my 911 for approximately 5,000 miles, but I have already learned a lot about the car. My 911 have PSS10's with a GT3 rear swaybar, has upgraded wheels/tires and made 525rwhp, so it's pretty comparable to my Supra from a state of tune perspective and probably similar to what you have planned.

SUPRA ADVANTAGES
1. Space: Though the back seats have a little more room for kids in the 911 than the Supra, in general the Supra is a lot more spacious. Especially in the front seat area.
2. As people have stated, mods are much more reasonable
3. The Supra is easier to work on, especially after you have gone single turbo. Spark plugs can be change in 30 minutes or less. :)
4. Reliability: The Supra is just bullet proof. There can be issues with intercooler hoses and vacuum lines, but this is usually the case when these haven't been replaced in years. A simple upgrade to silicone intercooler hoses and vacuum lines and you not longer have anything to worry about. Though the 911 is a reliable car, it has quite a bit more issues. I know some people may disagree with this, so below is a quick list of 911 turbo issues.
- The slave cylinder/accumulator failures
- 2nd gear pop out
- Window regulators
- Shifter cables
- Rear wing hydraulics
- Taillight tabs breaking
- Basic oil leaks
- Swaybar drop links breaking
- Random smoking at startup (not a real failure and probably do to the fact the turbos hang below the motor, but embarrassing regardless)
- Fuel tank that has issues being filled up
5. You have the best Supra ever created, where as the 996 is a little bit of a 911 "red headed step child" (no offense meant to anyone). :)
6. Top end power: With a properly modded stock turbo wastegate spring or single turbo with an external wastegate, the Supra will pull harder and harder all the way to redline, where you can feel the 911 power tapers off.
7. Value doesn't take a hit with miles. You can actually drive the Supra and maintain the value if the car is maintained. The reputation for reliability has gone a long way. I sold my 130,000 mile Supra for $36,000.
8. Generally mods actually add to the value, where as potential 911 customers can be turned away with mods.
9. Brakes: Way more initial bites (with stock pads) and way cheaper to maintain. The 911 brakes take a lot more initial effort, though they are made from higher quality and technically better parts.

Now that everyone thinks I'm too Supra biased, here's the 911 list. :)

911 ADVANTAGES
1. Steering: Better feel, better weighting (though the Supra get better with 275 or 285 width tires). The 911 really feels like a smaller, more nimble car
2. Interior materials: Though the Supra has a slightly better layout (imagine an armrest that you can actually rest your arm on. :) ), the 911 leather and suede with stitching etc. arm much nicer and higher quality. The audio system and items like the steering wheel are much better then the Supra.
3. Looks: I know this is subjective, but I doubt even Supra owners will argue that the 911 is a classic shape that will always look good.
4. Bottom end torque: The 911 has so much more torque in the rpm range you actually use your car in (assuming it's a street car). This makes the 911 a much more entertaining daily driver. The Supra is much more of a on/off switch. Fun as a weekend toy, but not nearly as responsive as the 911.
5. Parts: The will always be parts made for a 911 as supplier know people will keep them on the road. There is also a lot more base 911's and Boxters with which we share parts than there are Supras. Getting exterior and interior parts is already starting to be a problem on the Supra and this is part of why I sold my Supra.
6. Traction: As you start making a lot of power with the Supra, traction becomes more and more of an issue. Turn up the boost and add an exhaust and 1st gear is useless. Add and small single and 2nd gear is useless. Add a big single and 3rd is useless. Rear weight bias and awd win, hands down.
7. The 911 feels like more nimble car, partly due to it's much smaller front end dimensions. When you look out of the windshield and over through the passenger window, the 911 is just smaller and more intimate feeling.
8. Pride of ownership: With the 911, you own an automotive icon. The Supra is rare and unique, but at my age I was starting to believe people thought I was driving my sons car. :) You also have to spend time telling the "average Joe" how unique and fast the Supra is, where as all you have to say is 911 turbo and you're done.
9. With 3.6 liters (vs. 3.0) and 9.4:1 compression (vs. 8.5:1), the 911 will make a much better power curve on pump gas. As an example, my single turbo Supra made around 490whp and 450wtq on pump gas where my 911 made 525whp and 515wtq.
10. Weight: Though the 911 and Supra are similar in weight in stock form, the 911 appears to be a little easier to lighten up (especially if you're willing to go rwd).
11. Did I mention it's a PORSCHE. :)

Conclusion:

The Supra can be easily built into an amazing car with serious capabilities, but it will become more of a weekend toy and less of an enjoyable daily driver. It will also never get the respect the 911 has earned.

The 911 is just a more refined supercar with no need for heavy mods to be entertaining. The Supra is a great platform, the 911 is a great car.

Just my, well, I guess, more than 2 cents. :)
Later, Steve

Steve Theodore 12-18-2012 07:54 PM

That was a really thoughtful reply Steve Jarvis...I'm sure it will help a lot of people out there who reference this thread! Reps for you. :)

Engine Guy 12-18-2012 09:43 PM

A decade ago a supra was a cool car, at this point in time they are about as modern as a Delorean. Yes they do have some ability to make HP numbers but at the end of the day it is still a Japanese econo car. Now not to play the yuppie prestige card but even a 996 is not that dated, some will say a 997 is just worlds more modern interior wise; yet the dash layout is almost exactly the same; its just made from slightly different materials.

Now what are you looking for I ask, all out performance? That is where my mind is going lately and this is what I have come up with https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ltima-gtr.html

k-ore 12-19-2012 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis (Post 3721283)
This thread is right down my alley. :)

I have owned 2 Supras. I put 40,000 miles on the first and 100,000 miles on the second. They have progressed to several different states of tune. From stock with just an exhaust, lowering springs all the way to a single turbo with full suspension, big brake kit and multiple wheel/tire setups.

I have driven these Supras on the road-course in all these different states of tune as well. As my mods were designed around a daily driver that was used 3-4 time a year on the road-course, my turbo was relatively small (63mm). The car made 540rwhp on a 93/100 octane mix and around 500rwhp on 93 octane.

I have only driven my 911 for approximately 5,000 miles, but I have already learned a lot about the car. My 911 have PSS10's with a GT3 rear swaybar, has upgraded wheels/tires and made 525rwhp, so it's pretty comparable to my Supra from a state of tune perspective and probably similar to what you have planned.

SUPRA ADVANTAGES
1. Space: Though the back seats have a little more room for kids in the 911 than the Supra, in general the Supra is a lot more spacious. Especially in the front seat area.
2. As people have stated, mods are much more reasonable
3. The Supra is easier to work on, especially after you have gone single turbo. Spark plugs can be change in 30 minutes or less. :)
4. Reliability: The Supra is just bullet proof. There can be issues with intercooler hoses and vacuum lines, but this is usually the can when these haven't been replaced in years. A simple upgrade to silicone intercooler hoses and vacuum lines and you not longer have anything to worry about. Though the 911 is a reliable car, it has quite a bit more issues. I know some people may disagree with this, so below is a quick list of 911 turbo issues.
- The slave cylinder/accumulator failures
- 2nd gear pop out
- Window regulators
- Shifter cables
- Rear wing hydraulics
- Taillight tabs breaking
- Basic oil leaks
- Swaybar drop links breaking
- Random smoking at startup (not a real failure and probably do to the fact the turbos hang below the motor, but embarrassing regardless)
- Full tanks that have issues being filled up
5. You have the best Supra ever created, where as the 996 is a little bit of a 911 "red headed step child" (no offense meant to anyone). :)
6. Top end power: With a properly modded stock turbo wastegate spring or single turbo with an external wastegate, the Supra will pull harder and harder all the way to redline, where you can feel the 911 power tapers off.
7. Value doesn't take a hit with miles. You can actually drive the Supra and maintain the value if the car is maintained. The reputation for reliability has gone a long way. I sold my 130,000 mile Supra for $36,000.
8. Generally mods actually add to the value, where as potential 911 customers can be turned away with mods.
9. Brakes: Way more initial bites (with stock pads) and way cheaper to maintain. The 911 brakes take a lot more initial effort, though they are made from higher quality and technically better parts.

Now that everyone thinks I'm too Supra biased, here's the 911 list. :)

911 ADVANTAGES
1. Steering: Better feel, better weighting (though the Supra get better with 275 or 285 width tires). The 911 really feels like a smaller, more nimble car
2. Interior materials: Though the Supra has a slightly better layout (imagine an armrest that you can actually rest your arm on. :) ), the 911 leather and suede with stitching etc. arm much nicer and higher quality. The audio system and items like the steering wheel are much better then the Supra.
3. Looks: I know this is subjective, but I doubt even Supra owners will argue that the 911 is a classic shape that will always look good.
4. Bottom end torque: The 911 has so much more torque in the rpm range you actually use your car in (assuming it's a street car). This makes the 911 a much more entertaining daily driver. The Supra is much more of a on/off switch. Fun as a weekend toy, but not nearly as responsive as the 911.
5. Parts: The will always be parts made for a 911 as supplier know people will keep them on the road. There is also a lot more base 911's and Boxters with which we share parts than there are Supras. Getting exterior and interior parts is already starting to be a problem on the Supra and this is part of why I sold my Supra.
6. Traction: As you start making a lot of power with the Supra, traction becomes more and more of an issue. Turn up the boost and add an exhaust and 1st gear is useless. Add and small single and 2nd gear is useless. Add a big single and 3rd is useless. Rear weight bias and awd win, hands down.
7. The 911 feels like more nimble car, partly due to it's much smaller front end dimensions. When you look out of the windshield and over through the passenger window, the 911 is just smaller and more intimate feeling.
8. Pride of ownership: With the 911, you own an automotive icon. The Supra is rare and unique, but at my age I was starting to believe people thought I was driving my sons car. :) You also have to spend time telling the "average Joe" how unique and fast the Supra is, where as all you have to say is 911 turbo and you're done.
9. With 3.6 liters (vs. 3.0) and 9.4:1 compression (vs. 8.5:1), the 911 will make a much better power curve on pump gas. As an example, my single turbo Supra made around 490whp and 450wtq on pump gas where my 911 made 525whp and 515wtq.
10. Weight: Though the 911 and Supra are similar in weight in stock form, the 911 appears to be a little easier to lighten up (especially if you're willing to go rwd).
11. Did I mention it's a PORSCHE. :)

Conclusion:

The Supra can be easily built into an amazing car with serious capabilities, but it will become more of a weekend toy and less of an enjoyable daily driver. It will also never get the respect the 911 has earned.

The 911 is just a more refined supercar with no need for heavy mods to be entertaining. The Supra is a great platform, the 911 is a great car.

Just my, well, I guess, more than 2 cents. :)
Later, Steve

Great write-up..I'm w/Steve on this one & I own both as well.

Shifter 12-19-2012 07:07 AM

Love this forum! So much help, USEFUL information and replies, my hats off to you. On other forums I'm sure this would turn into a flame war over 2 very different, yet similar machines. (I've seen it all too often). This certainly answered more questions than I could even come up with. I think the thing to do will be to ride in a members car ( supra and 911 if possible) when spring approaches and I'm ready to buy. Thanks again everyone for your timely contributions to this thread, hopefully it will be help to more with the same dilemma, down the line.

Leaning 911 right now as a DD, as it seems more practical, well, for what I need it for. If I had/get a company car then I think I may lean supra as it would be more set towards a power overkill weekend warrior.

XLR82XS 12-19-2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ttboost (Post 3720665)
Owned both. Choose 996tt every time...

Agreed. I have owned 3 Supras. Mild to 1200hp a stroker car. Bottom line - Porsche.

gt2rs 12-19-2012 04:28 PM

Ultima GTR is a kitcar that smell like a boat does not look good so i don't really understand your weakness for them Ultima GTR feels so 1990 ;-).
But beauty is always in the eye of the ... so if you want one just get one.
Here is a serious built one
http://www.kenson.nu/Ultimabilder/index.htm
If i remember correct he had 1000 hp and the car weight was a little lower than 1000 kg so he had more than 1hp/kg :-).
Sorry for the Op.
Have had several supras and atm one 996 GT2 and a GTR like them all, different cars for different needs. I'am no Beetle fanboy so i think the beetle is ok but not that impressed yet ;-).

Originally Posted by Engine Guy (Post 3721393)
A decade ago a supra was a cool car, at this point in time they are about as modern as a Delorean. Yes they do have some ability to make HP numbers but at the end of the day it is still a Japanese econo car. Now not to play the yuppie prestige card but even a 996 is not that dated, some will say a 997 is just worlds more modern interior wise; yet the dash layout is almost exactly the same; its just made from slightly different materials.

Now what are you looking for I ask, all out performance? That is where my mind is going lately and this is what I have come up with https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ltima-gtr.html

1a1 01-06-2013 08:13 AM

Both are great cars. There are some things that have come about recently that make the Supra more comparable such as PRO EFI and it's flex fuel capability-it allows you to run ethanol blended fuels such as E85 and take advantage of its anti-knock capabilities. Some guys are running more compression on rebuilds, which really awakens the place where you used to feel lag-lower rpms as the turbo spools. I honestly don't know if the 996 interior is that much superior when compared to a well taken care of Supra interior-it does have some nicer trim items. The 997 interior is far superior.

My recommendation for a daily driver would be the 911 Turbo. It is hard to beat the reliability of the P-car, plus the AWD is a major advantage in IL from November-April when temperatures can be low and traction is challenged in a Supra. The 911 turbo comes from Germany and is right at home in the snow, although you will want an extra set of wheels/tires with winter tread on them.

If you want to build a fair weather car that you really want to get into modifying I would say go for the Supra and buy a cheap beater for your commute, otherwise go with the 911 turbo and don't look back.

Steve K.