996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can I get some opinions from supra owners, past or present

Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Shifter is on a distinguished road
Can I get some opinions from supra owners, past or present

Ok so I really want a 911tt, but at the same time I've always wanted a turbo supra. What did you enjoy one car over the other? I know the supra can handle more power, stock form. For me, it would be a DD, maybe the 1/4 mile once a year, but mostly just enjoying my 20 mile 1 way commute to work. 93 octane only. The supra I'd do a single, the 911 I'd upgrade turbos, but I think a 3071 turbos seem a waste on 93. I guess I'm asking, what did you like better? I love the raw power a supra can provide, but the prestige and modern driveability a 911 can provide might be worth it. I've never really been in either car, though I've driven NA 911's and vipers, etc...I can afford either one. Which suits you best and why? BTW I'm 33 and have owned 25 cars, from a blown 01 cobra to a 335i BMW. I think my fave was my 03 evo, with many, many mods...if that helps.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 PM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
Why do you think 3071s on 93 would be a waste? Itll make 600 whp easily...Thats not a peaky number either. Gobs of torque and hardly any lag whatsoever...That makes for a pretty fast/fun 20 mile commute.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Also, a single turbo Supra would have even more lag than the 3071s, making the Supra less streetable.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
I have had both (at the same time) over the past year. The Supra is a timeless piece but I wouldn't recommend daily driving a modified single beast especially since you live in IL. Any issue with tuning etc could leave you stranded on the way to work. A 996tt is honda reliable and the AWD can't be beat for DD duty.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
I have both now. 98' Supra TT, auto tranny, 84k miles. The Supra is my son's daily driver, and being a 14 yr old car now, we're ALWAYS fiddling with small things, not necessarily the fault of the car more due to SPO neglect. Tuning, electrical, fuel, cooling, HVAC, suspension, brakes, etc. As we repair or replace, these systems have stayed reliable. But it's a continuous process, something always seems to need attention. He's added the BPU's, and wants to go to HKS twins or one of the lower end/streetable single solutions, staying at or around 600hp. The car is fun to drive now of course, bpu's made a dyno run of 405hp/413tq, but it's no Porsche. Not the same fit/finish, quality, overall experience. But the son is in his dream car that he worked 5 years saving for, so I can't complain. The time spent on repairs and refurbishments is actually a nice father/son experience anyway.

The Porsche is an 03 996TT Tip, stock but with UMW tune and Speedtech or EBWerks exhaust being added shortly. It has been wood-burning-stove reliable. One seeping LF radiator that I'll replace myself, $460 from Sonnen. No other issues, and I drive it to work almost every day. The Porsche experience is several notches above the Supra in every way.

Cheers
Mikey

Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
sorry have to:

Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
wheelman21 will become famous soon enoughwheelman21 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Apex Factor
sorry have to:

Guy at a gas station actually asked me what the retail on my 911 was and I almost said it...don't worry I didn't...but I was tempted.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
Wow great question! I currently have both (see my sig) and they are pretty awesome cars. The Supra is singled (PTE 6766 now, GT42 previous) and the 997 is only tuned but is at AMS right now getting upgraded to their Alpha turbo kit (comparable to A28's). They are both really different cars.

Full boost in the Supra is pretty ridiculous! The power comes more smoothly in the 911 (I don't know if that would be the case with bigger turbos though). I feel way more in control of the power in the 911 too, likely due to the AWD setup. The Supra with a single turbo will be a bit laggier (full boost 4k or later), so you'd probably get more usable DD fun with a 911. Driveability in both cars is really not too big of a deal with streetable turbo setups (Supra 6766 or smaller), but quick968 is right about little things in older cars that will just need maintenance.

I was not as impressed with the 996tt interior and actually prefer the Supra interior, but everyone's got their opinion on that. The 997 interior is a big step up.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. You'll enjoy either car!!

Last edited by amw; 12-17-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I bought one new in 1993 great car but I like the 996tt better=more class better made in my opinion.I keep most of my my cars stock so cant add about modded.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I had the chance to drive a last year Supra turbo with 34k miles. It was 100% stock minus a down pipe when i drove it. I drove up a mountain canyon run and down the hill. Back to back against a stock 996T at the time.

In simple: The Supra felt VERY big and heavy. Tons of turbo lag, not the best steering feel, and the interior was not up to bar imo. Really bad brake feel.

The stock 996T, even though it is heavy, it does not feel anywhere near as heavy as the Supra. It is agile, very nice throttle response vs the Supra and It felt just much better built. Quick and easy to drive.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm really interested in what everyone has to say. I guess I didn't think the lag would be that bad in the supra, figuring that it has 6 cylinders pushing 1 turbo, as opposed to 3 cylinders pushing a turbo on the 911. Certainly full boost by 4k isn't awful, but for a dd the earlier the better. But I love the way those big singles sound inhaling mass amounts of atmosphere!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Why do you think 3071s on 93 would be a waste? Itll make 600 whp easily...Thats not a peaky number either. Gobs of torque and hardly any lag whatsoever...That makes for a pretty fast/fun 20 mile commute.
I believe I had just read somewhere that the 3071's need 100+ octane to make good power, and that running them on 93 was not going to give any benefit over k24's.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I love Supras as much as anyone you're ever going to talk to. I owned 5 of them between 1999 and 2008 and definitely miss my old Supras all the time. If you're wanting to build an 800+ rwhp car, it's a tremendous platform and you can do it for reasonable levels of money (ie: not as cheap as a domestic and not as expensive as a Porsche).

However, that being said, the 996TT (and certainly 997 variants) are just better overall cars in my book. With Supras I was never satisfied with the car in stock form and absolutely HAD TO modify the car before I started to enjoy it. That turned into a very slippery slope and I found that although I enjoyed the power that came from heavy modifications, I didn't enjoy the overall ownership experience as much as the car became more finicky, harder to daily drive, and overall less likely for me to take out and drive at all. That being said, I never did a cost-no-object build up, so in fairness most of my issues could have been addressed with more money spent on parts and tuning.

The 996TT is just a much more satisfying car in stock form. That shouldn't be surprising considering it's original MSRP and pedigree, but it's just a true statement. I've been driving my nearly stock 996TT for nearly 4 years now with a big smile on my face and only now am I looking to add about 100 hp to it this coming season. It's much harder to work on than a Supra, parts cost more, insurance costs more, but the overall car definitely feels worth it, especially at used car prices that you can get them for today.

So, in my mind, if the ease of modification to hit 800+ whp and a yearning to do all your own work is strong, then the Supra might still be a great choice for you! But, if you're like many of us, you'll find quite a lot of charm in the 996TT platform.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
OP, just an FYI, Steve Theodore is very well known in the Supra community. So praise to 996TT from him is a pretty big deal.

I gotta agree with a lot that's been said, but there is something pretty cool about how the Supra sounds (WG flutter / massive turbo spooling) and the way the turbo hits.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Agree completely on points Steve said... I owned a pretty heavily modified Supra before owning my 911. From the raw power and silly fun a built single supra can lay down, it really has its points. But from a total package perspective, the 911 is just a better all around car. The one positive the Supra offers is that it is much less expensive to modify than the Porsche. But like Steve stated, it is a slippery slope in that once you get the mod bug moving on the Supra, it really takes hold and you just can't stop; you'll never be satisfied. The Porsche is more enjoyable to me at a lower power level because I do everything I want in the car now and enjoy it for what it is; a fantastic all-around car. It just does everything really well.

With all that to say... When I am cruising down the tollways and I see a crotch-rocket, I miss my Supra because it was always fun to egg them on and see their face when you can roll up on them.... But that feeling subsides quickly....

Both great cars honestly, but I'd rather have the 911 because it's a total-package car.

Chris

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I get some opinions from supra owners, past or present