996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheel refinish - worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Just looked up the website and they have several colors and textures available. Super cheap just to play around with- especially for track wheels.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
There is also a glossifier that can be applied after the plastidip to make em a bit more shiny if you don't want matte finish. Do it for half the summer then peel off for silver again, it's like a whole new car.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
I agree. Get yourself a new set of wheels....

Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I bought my 2004 TT last May. The car only had 21K on the clock. The car was in great shape but had curb rash on the wheels. The first thing I did when I bought it was have the wheels refinished. It cost me $125 per wheel. I dropped my car off of a Friday afternoon, picked it up on Monday. The wheels looked brand new. I would highly recommend it.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
1st996tt is on a distinguished road
I powder coated mine matte black for $100 each and it turned out very nice.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
I had mine rinfinished shortly after I bought the car years ago because of a small curb mark on the rear wheel.

I love the result, went with a gunmetal color

Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
The gun metal with your black looks great- nice job and smokin price!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
$125 per wheel is a steal! Socal is a little more expensive unfortunately. I'll check out that plasti-dip site as well.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone tried the plastidip gloss colors? Gloss gunmetal may look good.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Picked up 4 cans if flat-black today at HomeDepot $5/can. Will take some before and after shots. Will plan for post Christmas and some dry weather. Then could always gloss over as needed. I think I'll need new black center caps as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Sounds great! Thx! Looking forward to the result.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Yeah I also hate the old, stock turbo-twists. Fugly! I didn't sell mine, but they are not on my car. There are so many WAY better, lighter, more modern, beautiful, awesome options out there. I will say this for the stock twists, they are stronger than a lot of wheels(and heavier), and for certain events they are better, like the Targa Newfoundland. If you are dealing with rough roads at high speeds, and you want a tough, ugly wheel you don't have to worry about, the twists are it.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Picked up 4 cans if flat-black today at HomeDepot $5/can. Will take some before and after shots. Will plan for post Christmas and some dry weather. Then could always gloss over as needed. I think I'll need new black center caps as well.
No need for black center caps. Just tape over the painted emblem with masking tape. Take a knife around the logo (easy to do as it's got a small gap between the logo and the cap), and peel off excess masking tape. Then, just plastidip the wheel (after protecting calipers and rotors with a slit plastic garbage bag). No need even to take the center caps off. Easy peesy.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Ajs76 will become famous soon enough
Seems like a waste to me. The stock wheels aren't very attractive as is, so is refinishing them going to really add much to the effect? New wheels maybe, but no one is going to go "Man, that turbo is so nice...oooh, curb rash. Now it's terribad".

I'd go all or nothing since you're 50% on the way to a new set anyway.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I had the same dilemma -- what to do with my turbo twists, which weren't my favorite style but are light and strong and could make a good alternate set of wheels for me. I decided to have them painted (color matched) with clear powder coat, and was very pleased with the result. Total cost was about $700 out the door including dismounting/mounting the tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel refinish - worth it?