996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Does people here upgrade from 996TT to 997TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
0.9 bar for a K24 car is stock boost, i think you have already taken the decision to move to 997tt, if you are a tip and want huge hp, move to a manual car, 996 or 997, or 997tip doesnt matter.. 997 will run a bit more efficient engine wise, but this can be corrected through modding, and will have better 4x4 system, otherwise it's about esthetics, i see them on the same level now as 991 is out...

i would take final decision based on what i'd do with my car

Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
I've thought about it personally... but for me the 996TT ticks all of the boxes I want and frankly the 997TT to me is still too expensive to justify the upgrade. An extra 30-40k to buy stateside and for what? VTG, new interior (and IMO more bland looks)?

To me it's 2x's the price of the 996TT and not 2x's the car so I can't personally justify it. But I still will get one down the road... but the 996TT stays regardless.

I'd also opt for the 997.1 over the .2 and keep the metzger with the dry sump.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
You guys make my decision for 996 or 997 hard haha at first I thought I didn't want to spend the extra 30,then I did, now I might be on the edge again.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
you only live once..buy it and don't look back... i am on the fence between a gt3 or a tt, 997 that is.. i guess it boils down to the deal... if i got a tt, i'd just add a tune and exhaust.. with the gt3, nothing... i'd keep the 996 too... good luck.. i want to drive a P as a daily drive instead of my prius! lol

Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I had my k24/18g dynod versus a 997tt a few weeks back. His was stock VTG's with an Evo reflash and an exhaust. It put down 583ftlbs. I believe he was on 91 octane as well. I was running 100 and 1.3bar and I had 563ftlbs.

Those VTG's are pretty nice.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mod mike
you only live once..buy it and don't look back... i am on the fence between a gt3 or a tt, 997 that is.. i guess it boils down to the deal... if i got a tt, i'd just add a tune and exhaust.. with the gt3, nothing... i'd keep the 996 too... good luck.. i want to drive a P as a daily drive instead of my prius! lol
That's what I am thinking but I keep going back and forth, If I go 997.1 i want a new set of wheels,bilstein suspension, tune and ep1. This is replacing my other DD because I don't want to drive a is300t rwd in snow anymore.

Do you guys ever find yourself buying forum cars already modded? In a way I feel like I could save my self some money not buying the mods myself and buy it already modded to my likening. But then again the likely hood of it being driven hard is almost a guarantee.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Luke_01 is on a distinguished road
SFTRBRAINS.... Yes I see what you mean
Huy.... Money is an issue for me.
From my 01 TT tip ( 110 k km's) to a 07 TT Manual (27 k km's) is 2.4 times the price.
Is it the same more or less in the US guy's?
Fadi..... For me, K24's or K16's it makes no difference to the boost if the ECU has not been modded. The waste gate should still open at the same pressure. Please if it is wrong guys then help me out here. I never saw any advantage of having K24's installed except maybe for spooling but the actual boost should stay the same. Also, it might be better in producing the volume required at high RPM meaning that means the boost pressure might not drop as the revs increases towards the very high end of the rev range like the old 930's (3L) did with a stock turbo installed. Anyone care to comment?
Lastly, the only reason for starting to look at 997TT manual was only because of the tip. Struggling to get used to it and like I said it seems it is always as debatable point as soon as one wants to increase power. I stand to be corrected of course.
Kind regards

Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
My boss's 997TT needed a clutch after nothing more than a tune. Is this pretty common? He said it holds to like 550ft/lbs and then anything over that you need an upgraded clutch. Made it sound like it was pretty common knowledge that with the 997TT's the clutches are one of the first upgrades required. Can anyone substantiate that?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by daedalus
My boss's 997TT needed a clutch after nothing more than a tune. Is this pretty common? He said it holds to like 550ft/lbs and then anything over that you need an upgraded clutch. Made it sound like it was pretty common knowledge that with the 997TT's the clutches are one of the first upgrades required. Can anyone substantiate that?
a clutch is not uncommon when the cars flashed.. thanks for the reminder. if i get a TT i'll wait until the clutch goes before i add a flash and an exhaust.. I've already spent 8k on a car i don't even own yet! LOL

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
You guys will get a kick out of this observation. When I first bought my 996TT I was slightly disappointed about the headlight design (relative to the world of 993s, 997s, etc.). The longer I own my 996TT the more I appreciate the fact that the headlights are different and unique to the 996TT. So, although not the worlds most beautiful headlight by any stretch of the imagination, I actually like them a lot more now than 4 years ago when I bought the car. Go figure!

So, one less thing for the 997TT to thrill me with. However, I would want the VTG turbos, interior updates, and AWD system every single time.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Man, nobody has thrown in the GTR yet? That's the car that makes me want to sell my Porsche.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
Man, nobody has thrown in the GTR yet? That's the car that makes me want to sell my Porsche.
Have you driven one? I have a love/hate relationship with them after several experiences driving them. If going fast is the only priority, it wins just about everything. If enjoying the process of driving is your priority, it probably won't win except for very specific disciplines. It definitely makes the average driver a hero though, no doubt about it. It even made a decent drag racer out of me, and I'm not very good or consistent behind the wheel of a powerful 6MT at the drag strip.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
I think it's a really personal decision to be honest. I hear a lot of talk (not necessarily in this sub-forum) about how the 997TT is a huge upgrade over the 996TT. But to be honest, I bought a really nice low mileage (sub 10k) 1-owner rare car (slate grey on red interior) and just adore it. It's really a rare looking car to me with the oddball color combo. Plus, the price I paid for it afforded me to opportunity to put $30K in mods on the car before approaching the cost of a 997.2TT. - The result is a car that makes a lot useable power, it's completely updated and I own it outright.

For me, stepping up to a 997TT would be a performance downgrade from where I am now... And to spend the same money in mods on a 997TT would net a car that I'd have a lot more money invested, but wouldn't necessarily be a lot faster than what I have now...

As for the interior debate... I know folks say the interior is so much nicer on the 997TT and I get it... But I'd like to state that the full leather interiors on the 996TT are really nice. At least for me, it's the nicest car I've ever owned and I am very proud to say that.

In the end; it's a personal decision really and you probably want to weigh the options heavily.

Funny thing... On New Year's day, I was driving over to the in-law's house for a party and we drove past a REALLY rare Atlas Grey 996TT. The car looked like it was showroom condition. My wife and I got really excited to see this car because I've never seen Atlas Grey on the road before. - We were both a lot more excited to see this car than the endless sea of 997TT's floating around the DFW Metroplex. 996TT's just aren't that common here and I get a kick out seeing them.

Personally... I wouldn't sell my 996TT to get a 997TT; the "upgrade" wouldn't justify the expense. - But again, completely personal decision.

- Chris.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have a 996TT Cab with fairly significant modifications as a "TOY". Rather than go the 997 TT or waiting a long time I ordered a 991S Cab X51 as a driver. Keeping the 996TT as a TOY (that's it's license plate). The 991S Cab will be "TOYTOO". I have that plate on another car so easy to transfer.

John in Vancouver

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HIX

I'm just sayin...

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does people here upgrade from 996TT to 997TT?