996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire MFG options/feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Tire MFG options/feedback

So I'm shopping for replacement rears for my baby and currently running Michelin Pilot Sport in 315/30/18. Looking at prices out there and options seems there are not a lot of selection in this size. That being said, I found Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico at half the price of the Michelin. Wanted to solicit opinion on these tires before I spring for a new pair of shoes.
If you have ran them, any comparison to the michelin ?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Michelin makes the best tire in my opinion. The 315/30/18s do have limited options, but the stock rear size for your car is a 295/30/18, and should have a bit more.

Make sure to run the same tire you have in the front, in the rear of the car.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
My experience with HP tires are as follows:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3-great grip, low noise, decent wet handling. Not really impressed with tire wear of them though.
Hankook ventus v12- good grip, low noise, not sure yet on wet handling, good wear
BfGoodrich Gforce KDW II- Excellent grip, some noise, decent wet handling, better wear than the Goodyears. Note: all of the reviews for this tire mentioned horrible road noise, but I found the noise on par with other HP tires. Less noise than the Pirellis. The grip was amazing. My only complaint was that I had to go to 295/35/18 rear and 225/45/18 front due to limited size options. No issues seeing I am RWD.
Pirelli pzero Assemetrico- For the price of these tires the grip was marginal, wet handling was okay, they were noisier than the BFGs(which all of the reviews complain about the noise), but the wear was okay. For the money I think the Hankooks are better. I cannot believe Porsche ever put these on 911s from the factory. I think the spare tire has better traction.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Duff0000
Michelin makes the best tire in my opinion. The 315/30/18s do have limited options, but the stock rear size for your car is a 295/30/18, and should have a bit more.

Make sure to run the same tire you have in the front, in the rear of the car.
I do run the same front and rear, but why....??

What exactly would happen, other than a different tread pattern? Cars handle differently just from changing to new rubber, so I don't really understand how the handling nuance of a different brand would make a measuarble difference.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Your handling could be very screwy, scary, and downright dangerous with different treads from front to rear. Try it and see - I bet you change to uniform tires very quickly.

I have the Pirellis and I think they are very loud. I had the Sumitomos before and I thought they were pretty good for the 7/10ths street driving that I do.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by leftlane
Your handling could be very screwy, scary, and downright dangerous with different treads from front to rear. Try it and see - I bet you change to uniform tires very quickly.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be argumentive. But HOW do you know this? Is that personal experience, a manufacturers suggested guidelines, or...
I've driven non-sports cars that did not have matched tire sets, and I don't recall a problem. Then again, I didn't drive them at the edge of their limits. I get it. It's not recommended. Just trying to truly understand...

Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !

I have the Pirellis and I think they are very loud. I had the Sumitomos before and I thought they were pretty good for the 7/10ths street driving that I do.

Not true..

I have MSS up front and MPS2's in the rear. EXCELLENT handling. It gives the front much better bite and sharper turn in. I know the front end has more bite then the rear and i use it to my advantage.

I have done this to other cars i have owned in the pass too..

Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Ok - I'll just respectively disagree. I bought an NSX that had mismatched tires and the handling was horrific. In fact, I was sure there was a problem with the car, it handled so poorly. Once I changed tires it was back to perfect balance and excellent handling.

Not saying it can't be done, but I won't do it again. Can't imagine you'll get any recommendation to do so from any tire or car manufacturer either.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Ok - I'll just respectively disagree. I bought an NSX that had mismatched tires and the handling was horrific. In fact, I was sure there was a problem with the car, it handled so poorly. Once I changed tires it was back to perfect balance and excellent handling.

Not saying it can't be done, but I won't do it again. Can't imagine you'll get any recommendation to do so from any tire or car manufacturer either.
List me the
Front / rear tire brand,model, sizes, manufactured date, air pressure f/r and your driving style (oversteer or understeer) and i make very educated guess and tell you what the symptoms where of the car and why you didn't like it.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !

It very well could be that the tires that were mixed were just not of the same capabilities. I do not hesitate to mix tires. Actually for a chunk of last summer the rear of my car had Michelins and the front had AD-08 Yokohama's. Zero issues at all. I have done it on both of My Audi's too.

Would I mix an all season tire with an extreme performance summer tire... NOPE.

Yes going with matching tires is the safe bet but not a be all end all.

PS2's all the way, the other tire to me is not even a consideration.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
A few year ago I mixed new Sumis (rear) with used but still plenty of tread MPS (fronts). My car would act everywhere especially in the mtn roads and track and caused scary interventions. Swapped them allnoutnfor 4x new MPSCups and the world was good. Currently running Hankook V12s on the street (great tire) and Hankook TDs on the track (incredible grip, but never tried Hoosiers).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
For the money the falken 615s have been pretty good, and come in a 315/30/18. For the track/street the nitto nt-01 were good, ran them all summer and got 3 track days out of them. as fast as these things burn through tires you get to try a lot of them out

Last edited by z06801; 01-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Guys ;
thanks for the responses, as I have been looking, 295 sizes are almost a dime a dozen, 315 on the other hand, only two are truly street/summer (michelin/Pirelli) and the other four or so, BFG, Falken, Nitto, and Toyo (May have missed one) are more track/very dry street) hence my dilemma Currently I found the Pirelli @ 244/each in 315/30/18 vs the Michelin @ 504/each. For that price difference, I could all four for less than two rears.
I run the Hankook on my C2 and my Audi S4 and have been very good tires. I say that because the Hankook requires balancing often and on the S4 being a 50/50 diff, they get pretty noisy . I have enjoyed the michelin much but at the frequency of driving that i do, two sets of tires a year might get expensive.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of factors that can make mixed tires handled poorly, wear rating, age, heat cycles if they have been tracked, even tires that appear to have full tread can be crap if they are old and have been sitting on someone's
garage queen. so you have to be careful mixing them up or you can get what you got on the NSX.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I dislike the Pirelli Pzero tire. I've had them on 2 911's and after a few months they are hard and noisy. I'm unhappy to see Pirelli on my fathers new 991... once they are worn a bit they're outta here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire MFG options/feedback