996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's the latest, greatest Headunit replacement options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
What's the latest, greatest Headunit replacement options?

Have a 2003, but the audio systems has already been redone by previous owner (bypassed optical).
I'd like to refresh the headunit.

I have an iPhone 5 or ipods that I would like to integrate for my music library. I do not use XM/Sirius or CDs.
I'm not sold on having NAV in the headunit as I can use my iphone when I need to get turn by turn directions.
I'm thinking an AppRadio would be neat, not sure if anyone has done this on a 996TT

What are the top options are out there? Will have a local installer do the work

Last edited by thomapa1; 02-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

If you want to use your Iphone 5, see the GPS maps on your radio, Pandora, etc. I recommend the Pioneer App Radio 2 just wait for the release of the new lighting cable!!

This is mine, love it!!!

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Plus you can add a rear view camera. I have one and its awesome!!!

Look on the second page of this tread for info on the parts and installation!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...all-kit-3.html

Last edited by RxPorsche; 02-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
tonytalksalot is on a distinguished road
I think eclipse makes some great head units.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/index.html

Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Plus 1 on the Pioneer App radio. That's what I installed.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I have a pioneer now, been thinking of going back to an Alpine - 8" this time

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RxPorsche
If you want to use your Iphone 5, see the GPS maps on your radio, Pandora, etc. I recommend the Pioneer App Radio 2 just wait for the release of the new lighting cable!!

This is mine, love it!!!
Looks interesting. Any better pics of the install? Where did you locate the amps and what did you pick for amps and speakers?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I just installed an Alpine CDE-HD137BT

I did not want the double din screen, just a nice unit with bluetooth streaming and hands free phone.
I also got the KTP 445 amp that plugs right into the harness.
The combo is very compact and sounds great.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I just installed an Alpine CDE-HD137BT

I did not want the double din screen, just a nice unit with bluetooth streaming and hands free phone.
I also got the KTP 445 amp that plugs right into the harness.
The combo is very compact and sounds great.
Cool. Any pics? Are you using the stock speakers?

My local installer told me that BT phone is almost useless in the 996 due to road noise. Any experience with it yet?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skremese
My local installer told me that BT phone is almost useless in the 996 due to road noise. Any experience with it yet?
yeahhh pretty much

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry no pics. Just do an internet search it wont be hard to find
The speakers are Evolution.
I have successfully used the phone. But it is not like driving and talking in an Audi. I have the worst possible set up, Alpha28s, intake, 3" catless exhaust and R888 tires. with all that I am able to communicate with the outside world.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
tvieso has a spectacular aura abouttvieso has a spectacular aura about
Man, I was all sold on a double-din Alpine unit. I didn't even know about the app radio. That's pretty legit. Might have to give this a try.

OP, are you thinking of doing any sound deadening in the doors or anywhere else?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
I am really on the fence on the Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100). It fits my needs perfectly on the books - but from what I am finding, the product may not yet be mature enough. Hard to decipher fact from rumor. From my research (and I would need to partner it with my iPhone5...iphone 4 may already have some of this functionality)
The negatives I am finding are:
- May not be able to do video until a Pioneer firmware update Spring 2013? so until then, music only (no iphone5 nav app)
- As I understand it, if you are in the iphone5 map app, you cannot play music and vice versa...you get one or the other. Not sure if this is fact.
- Need to buy additional Apple cables (Lightning to Digital AV Adapter $50 and Lightning to USB $20)

Product is cheap - they have a rebate going on soon for -$120 - so unit cost would be @$275.

I'm going to call Pioneer and the shop that will do my install to get more opinions.

I like the potential of the device (They also have an app that will interface with your cars ODB bus and let you display tons of stats like speed, torque, temps, etc...)

No plans to try to deaden existing sound. I don't drive alot anyway - but I like having built in NAV for the occasional long trips...and I need access to my music library. I'd hate to spend over $1,200 for a mac daddy NAV Double Din when the AppRadio2 would do the same job

Originally Posted by tvieso
Man, I was all sold on a double-din Alpine unit. I didn't even know about the app radio. That's pretty legit. Might have to give this a try.

OP, are you thinking of doing any sound deadening in the doors or anywhere else?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:12 PM
tvieso has a spectacular aura abouttvieso has a spectacular aura about
Good points. Hopefully, the inability to multitask with the app radio could just be solved with a software update. With the sound deadening, it may help the noise levels with bluetooth.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
The firmware update is already release so I suppose that a new AppRadio 2 may come installed with it already. For the speakers I first try the stock one for some months but then change them to beyma speakers, they sound really awesome.

Better pic of the display. For some reason can not get it straight

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	215956  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the latest, greatest Headunit replacement options?