996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got my Speedtech 2.5 Crossflow Quiet installed today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
Got my Speedtech 2.5 Crossflow Quiet installed today

Thought I would give some feedback.

My mechanic was quite impressed with the overall quality and the welding job. He also didn't mention any issues with fit or finish; very straight forward install.

I went for the single large tips. Initial impression is they look like the car means business. My mechanic said he would have gone for the dual tips. But interestingly my wife likes the single tips; she says it makes the car look more muscular. I'm on the fence but think I'll stick with the current tips. The sticking out a bit that some people complained about doesn't bother me at all. Again gives them a look of meaning business.

Now to sound and performance. I definitely feel a seat of the pants performance difference. The turbos spool up noticeably faster. More responsive at lower rpms. Very cool sounding and noticeable turbo whistle.

I have a cabriolet and have only driven so far with the top down.

There's definitely a bit of a booming sound between 2100 or so to 2500 rpm. Not drone but different from above 2500 rpm. I can see this changing my gear shift selection driving in town or traffic.

I went back and forth between the 3" tips and 2.5" and went with John's recommendation for the 2.5" tips. I'm glad I went with his recommendation. 3" definitely would have been too drony for me. John was also very responsive to my emails during the whole process.

There is soooo much more of a varied sound now. Cracklings and gurgling just like my old 993 NA plus turbo whistle. The best of both worlds.

I didn't have any tunnels to test in but I've got the next best thing. A tree-lined two lane highway plus back roads with some areas with a bit of cliffs on the side.

Hot dang above 5k is a different aural sensation. Stepping on it next to a guard rail section or near trees is pretty insane.

I have a feeling I will be wasting a lot of gas constantly getting on it now.

The car just feels much more raw now with the new sound. More like an air-cooled 993 with a wail at WOT.

Now I just need to do some highway pulls next to some open windowed cars.

I'm definitely happy with the purchase, performance and sound.

And don't go above 5k in your garage, like I did, if you want to keep your neighbors happy

Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Thanks for the great review. Sent you a PM.

I've been communicating with John about picking up the same setup. I've done a lot of research and want to confirm that I can still run at Laguna (92dB and 90dB days). John has suggested that I may have to get some additional turn-down tips to meet my needs. I completely agree that John is great to work with.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
aggk what cats did you go with?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
I went with 100 cell. My mechanic was surprised I went 100 cell in CA but apparently everyone is passing the sniff test no problem.

Driving through tree canopied streets is like I'm back in my 993 again. I'm liking the sound more and more.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Yep passed SMOG with my 3.0 100cell setup last year as well.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Yep passed SMOG with my 3.0 100cell setup last year as well.
Have you figured a way to get your setup to work for sound at LS? Since I'd be going with the 2.5 system, I might not have as much of an issue.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey Guys does California use a sniffer and look under your car for a cat if you fail? Just curious....
Maye with the US deficit problem they will be cutting on extensive EPA testing???...

Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hey Guys does California use a sniffer and look under your car for a cat if you fail? Just curious....
Maye with the US deficit problem they will be cutting on extensive EPA testing???...
If you fail the sniffer test, there's no real reason for them to look under your car since you won't pass smog anyway. The real issue (and uncertainty) is whether some techs will look more carefully even if you PASS the sniffer test. In my experience, most shops don't look too carefully as long as you pass the computer tests (especially if you the techs know you from before). Unfortunately, technically, you can still fail a smog test in California if you pass the sniffer test but have non-certified equipment on your car.

Personally, I think that's a stupid rule. The test should just be that you're emissions are good, or they're not. I don't understand why it really matters what aftermarket parts you have if you're putting out acceptable emissions. After all, that's what really matters.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM
They use a sniffer and are supposed to do a visual as well. Basically no aftermarket exhaust will pass the visual portion of CA smog. But most places don't even know what Porsche exhausts are supposed to look like (:

Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
If you fail the sniffer test, there's no real reason for them to look under your car since you won't pass smog anyway. The real issue (and uncertainty) is whether some techs will look more carefully even if you PASS the sniffer test. In my experience, most shops don't look too carefully as long as you pass the computer tests (especially if you the techs know you from before). Unfortunately, technically, you can still fail a smog test in California if you pass the sniffer test but have non-certified equipment on your car.

Personally, I think that's a stupid rule. The test should just be that you're emissions are good, or they're not. I don't understand why it really matters what aftermarket parts you have if you're putting out acceptable emissions. After all, that's what really matters.
I would think if someone failed,,they would look to see if the exhaust is compliant and has cats,,so they can put another mark against them ..

Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aggk
I didn't have any tunnels to test in but I've got the next best thing. A tree-lined two lane highway plus back roads with some areas with a bit of cliffs on the side. Hot dang above 5k is a different aural sensation. Stepping on it next to a guard rail section or near trees is pretty insane.

Driving through tree canopied streets is like I'm back in my 993 again. I'm liking the sound more and more.
Alex,

I'm glad to see you're enjoying the exhaust! You've got to try to find a tunnel with light traffic. With the roof down at high RPM's- you won't believe your ears :-)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Alex,

I'm glad to see you're enjoying the exhaust! You've got to try to find a tunnel with light traffic. With the roof down at high RPM's- you won't believe your ears :-)
OR believe how fast you are accelerating and what speed you are going...

Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM
This exhaust is going to get me in trouble and burn through gas! Hitting 6k JUST to hear the exhaust gets you going pretty fast (:

The sound on the highway is definitely getting me a lot more looks.

Will be doing a nice drive through the hills around Napa tomorrow so should be able to hear the exhaust sing.

Last edited by aggk; 03-16-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I would think if someone failed,,they would look to see if the exhaust is compliant and has cats,,so they can put another mark against them ..
Good point. In reality, you're pretty much screwed anyway and will have to come back for a complete retest, so I don't think they really bother to look further. Actually, on the positive side, I'm aware of some techs who can tell that it's going to fail (just by how long the computer is thinking about it) and will disconnect the machine right away. That way, you don't get any mark against you and you get a chance to fix the problem and run the test again. For example, sometimes the car (cat) just needs to be warmed up a bit more and then it will pass.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Brought my car enthusiast neighbor over for some in-garage revving.

He gave two thumbs up and "sick sounding "

He also said now he knows when I'm coming and going