996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

And I thought it was a coolant hose ... but the water pump went to the toilet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
And I thought it was a coolant hose ... but the water pump went to the toilet

So I thought it was a busted coolant hose ... white steam coming out of the engine bay ... it so happens that my water pump passed away ... may it RIP.

So had that replaced ...

And looking at the old water pump ... the blades flaked off ... which begs the question ... its probably in there somewhere .. and how do I get those pieces out ...

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Good catch! Of course this pump lost a little bit of his efficiency ;-) Mine was getting there also but plastic impeller is not exactly the best choice of materiel....

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Anybody has any tips as to how to get the broken off impeller out of the cooling system?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Most of the bits of the impeller should have came out when you had the pump replaced. If you are still worried about it, you could always have it flushed to make sure any little pieces left in there came out.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Like i said in the PM... These pumps can move quite a bit of fluid when they are just starting to go. Much of the debris gets caught in the first rad in the system. I can not remember which one it is L or R????

Either way I would flush out the system with a good High volume flow before you re-install the engine and flush the engine too before you put the back side of the motor back on. The small and real large impeller bits can cause some issues but is it not common.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

PS: Have all the coolant fitting welded up while you are in there too. Thats a very good necessary preventative thing to do right now.

Last edited by Engine Guy; 03-21-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added PS:
Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
What is your mileage? I replaced mine at 56k as a preventative item. Mine still looked good, but it could have been replaced by the PO.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Also, I suspect that you had one fin fail on you and then it took out a few other fins. Could be a recurring problem with the stuff in your coolant now...