997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Del Rey Customs Hits Carplay Home Run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Del Rey Customs Hits Carplay Home Run

My story: I have an '08 C2S Cab that I was debating whether to keep or trade. It has 58k miles, but looks and runs like new. Just before the CPO expired at the end of July, my local dealer did about $7000 worth of warranty work on the car, including replacing the water pump, the battery cables, the rear shocks, and more. With the assurance that the car should not have any major maintenance issues in the near future, I decided to keep it.

I had already made a few engine and cosmetic upgrades, including a Dension set-up for the PCM, and LED driving and taillights from Del Rey Customs. The one mod I had been resisting, mostly due to cost, was changing out the head unit. But having decided to keep the car, I determined to go ahead and do it.

After copious research and price comparisons, I decided to go with Del Rey Customs once again. My previous experience with them had been excellent, and their prices seemed fair (for Los Angeles) and in the ballpark with other estimates.

I wanted a mid-range head unit as I didn't need or want built-in NAV. I did want Carplay, and since I have Bose I needed the fiber optic kit as well. My choices came down to either the Pioneer 4100NEX or the just-released Kenwood DXX9902S. Since the Kenwood was the newer unit I thought that it might perhaps be better, so I went with that.

Big mistake.

When I went to pick up the car and get a quick briefing on the unit, I was a bit shocked to see how poorly the graphics looked. In addition, the unit's operation seemed to defy logic. Much more complicated than it should be.

I went inside and spoke with Joey, who asked what I wanted to do. I said I wanted him to pull the Kenwood and install the Pioneer instead -- and here's where dealing with a classy outfit pays off. Without batting an eye, Joey told the installer, Justin, to replace the Kenwood with the Pioneer. Then he apologized for the fact that I would have an hour's wait while the exchange took place. He could have charged me for the additional labor, but he never mentioned it. As I said, a class act.

The Pioneer was a night-and-day improvement over the Kenwood. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly go through all the functions yet, but Carplay works as advertised, and the unit also incorporates Pandora and other apps not included in Carplay. Workmanship was top drawer, from the Porsche logo on the surround to the Porsche splash screen. It thoroughly modernizes the cockpit, and does so while managing to look stock at the same time.

Thanks to Del Rey Customs for the terrific service. Highly recommended.

If anyone is interested in buying a Dension 500SBT unit cheaply with all wires and connections intact, let me know.

Here's quick shot (a bit dark as taken in the garage):

Last edited by OldBoldPilot; 08-21-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
must get this ASAP! That looks awesome

Now I gotta find out where I can get that installed locally

Old 08-21-2015, 03:29 PM
brabuse430 is on a distinguished road
how much for the dension? pm me.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Unfortunately Anthony was having some issues with his new setup... His best pass was 207 MPH...

I can't wait until they fix the small issues! Maybe for the next TI

Old 08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Originally Posted by LeoLambo
Unfortunately Anthony was having some issues with his new setup... His best pass was 207 MPH...

I can't wait until they fix the small issues! Maybe for the next TI
Wrong forum... but on the other hand nice but...Who cares!!!

Last edited by MYC2SPC; 08-24-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Gewgaw is on a distinguished road
Looks great! I just had a Pioneer head unit installed in my 2006 C2S with Bose integration... I get a slight hiss noise when the head unit is muted, and it seems to change pitch with the engine RPMs. Are you getting anything like that in your installation? Might be hard to tell in a cab with the top down...

Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gewgaw
Looks great! I just had a Pioneer head unit installed in my 2006 C2S with Bose integration... I get a slight hiss noise when the head unit is muted, and it seems to change pitch with the engine RPMs. Are you getting anything like that in your installation? Might be hard to tell in a cab with the top down...
No, no hiss on mute. Overall I'm quite happy with the unit, though I'm still learning its ins and outs. Two things I'm not so pleased with:

Although the graphics are generally excellent, they do wash out sometimes when the top is down (to be expected, really);

I wish the controls along the bottom weren't one smooth strip, and had some tactile feature (like the home button has), which would eliminate the need to look at the controls in order to hit the right one.