996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help with jack point on engine 04tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
jwex16 is on a distinguished road
help with jack point on engine 04tt

I have done enought searches to figure out that I need to lower the engine to access the sending unit. My question is what is a safe jackpoint on the engine ? I need to raise it slightly to undo the drivers motor mount bolt and then lower it to allow access to the sender behind the oil filter.

I think I have the procedure down, just don' t want to screw up anything jacking the wrong spot on the engine.

I even searched youtube for a video.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
I use #3 in that post.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM
pmalik is on a distinguished road
Still don't think it's a good idea to put load on the block. I raise the back en by the subframe, where the rear control arms bolt up.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pmalik
Still don't think it's a good idea to put load on the block. I raise the back en by the subframe, where the rear control arms bolt up.
I never thought so either, but several reputable Porsche mechanics have told me it's OK. I always remove the load once the stands are underneath. I think its akin to the age old, rev matching tires to prevent damage to your diff debate! Try a search on that one !

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pmalik
I do this, too.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Funny. The ones I talk to tell me not to lift the car using the engine. The engine and mounts are designed to support the engine and to keep it in place when running. The engine and mounts are not designed to support the weight of the engine and the rest of the rear of the car.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
While we are on the subject: how about the front?? I want to take my front wheels in for new tires but don't particularly want to leave the car sitting on the floor jack?! I'd like to put a jack stand under the jacking point.

Never mind, sounds like you lift it from the rear jack point and the front comes up as well. Advantages of a stiff chassis

Last edited by FI_FTW; 08-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Funny. The ones I talk to tell me not to lift the car using the engine. The engine and mounts are designed to support the engine and to keep it in place when running. The engine and mounts are not designed to support the weight of the engine and the rest of the rear of the car.
That does make sense, but, as I said, I have been told it is not an issue. My car is too low for the subframe (or my jack is too tall )!