996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New 996TT owner looking for help with new wheel purchase!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GunshipDriver
Greetings!

While the RUF wheels on my 996TT are nice, I have come to the decision that Forgestar F14s will be the new shoes for my 996TT. That said, I have also decided to go with a more aggressive than stock but not a full blown race set up as far as wheel widths and offsets are concerned.

I plan on getting coilovers as well camber/caster plates and would be willing to roll the fenders but still want to be able to have full lock to lock turning ability of the front wheels as these will be the daily wheels that will get to see a few HPDEs and Autocrosses.

Taking into account the cost of tires, measurements, and their availability it seems that I would want either 9" or a 9.5" front (I would prefer the 9.5" but do not know how difficult it would be to fit with a 255/35-18 vice a 9" with a 245/35-18) and likely a 11" in back all on 18" wheels. On a side note, if I did want to track this car more I would probably be interested in a set of 10" fronts and 12" rears down the road but right now don't see myself hacking the fenders at this point.

Could you all help me in figuring out what widths and offset you would recommend running as well any other insight you all might have?
Your making a great choice! The 18" Forgestar F14 Wheels are a great choice for any application but they especially look great on Porsche Turbos! They will give you nice weight savings, attractive styling and great price point!

After speaking with Forgestar, the recommended tire fitment was 245/35R18 and 295/30R18. This will give you a perfect front to back profile. Its difficult to find some good shots of the 996 Turbo with the 18" fitment but here are a few shots of 19". If you have any questions, please let me know! I am more than happy to try and help! Good luck!

Attached Images      
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
18x9 and 18x12 is a tried and true set up used widely by a majority of 996/997 GT2/3 track guys. That's what I use. 18x12 with ET41 offset and 18x9 with ET47. I do however have 11mm of shims on my front LCAs which pushes the wheels out increasing camber and widening the track. ET40-45 with a 18x9 works well. This is what the set up looks like to give you an idea:
Thanks for the visual, thats whats missing from most discussions about fitment on here. Two more questions though, do you get any rubbing anywhere and how much camber are you running up front there, looks like a lot.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aktavate
Thanks for the visual, thats whats missing from most discussions about fitment on here. Two more questions though, do you get any rubbing anywhere and how much camber are you running up front there, looks like a lot.
No rubbing whatsoever. Camber -2.7F and -2.2R. Even with milder camber there is no rubbing. My car has GT2 fender liners front and rear along with rolled fenders. Ride height is 1/2" below GT2 at 101mm front and 120mm rear. If you stick with ET 45 in the front with 9" wheel (as opposed to 40) you will have good clearance. Hope that helps

Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aktavate
ard what offsets are you rocking with 9/12? My current best guess for 'reasonable/aggressive' setup is 18x9 +35 245/40 front and 18x12 +40 315/30 rear. Trying not to have to roll the fenders or hack up the liners if I dont have to..
Shamefully I dont know. HRE specd them. No fender rolling or liner hacking.

I'm getting new rubber soon and will look at the offset (should be on the hub as I recall)

A

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
No rubbing whatsoever. Camber -2.7F and -2.2R. Even with milder camber there is no rubbing. My car has GT2 fender liners front and rear along with rolled fenders. Ride height is 1/2" below GT2 at 101mm front and 120mm rear. If you stick with ET 45 in the front with 9" wheel (as opposed to 40) you will have good clearance. Hope that helps
Exactly was I was hoping to hear, thank you!

Originally Posted by ard
Shamefully I dont know. HRE specd them. No fender rolling or liner hacking.

I'm getting new rubber soon and will look at the offset (should be on the hub as I recall)

A
Please do, I'm especially curious as not many people seem to try for 265 in front.