996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cars too low to pull in and out of driveway without scraping- Ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amw
http://www.calcarcover.com/product/2...way_Curb_Ramps

The one California Car Covers sells looks different and they have one size..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
So basically the car scrapes front and rear end when pulling in and out of the driveway. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I am thinking just a big piece of plywood and if it rubs the plywood it would be more so just gliding on the plywood?

Thanks!!
I had the same problem. Used the Bridgit thingies which were a pain in the a**. Got fed up with it and had my driveway and sidewalk redone..

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
7.Come in pretty hot, jam brakes as you arrive at driveway, causing nose to dive. Releasing brakes right as you slide into driveway will cause the nose to spring back up to slightly higher ride height, before it settles back on springs. A quick goose of the throttle at this time will cause the car to squat and raise nose as you start up driveway. With a little practice you should be able to do it without thinking.
This is exactly my speed bump technique!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:33 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
KW sells a "4S" system that lifts all 4 corners.
But that will be a whole lot more than a $20 Home Depot run

I have some ideas; will post up when done.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I doubt you're ever going to be happy with any of the band aid solutions line 2x4s, etc. The best long term solution is to just have the lip in your driveway replaced with a gentle slope. I had my sidewalk ripped out (it had a very steep 45deg lip to it that my car could not clear) and replaced with pavers that mated right into my driveway. It was about $2K and is a permanent solution..

Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Mines was $40 for asphalt and $20 for seal coat..

Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good for sure! I would have to modify the sidewalk as well and I assume I would need a permit from the city to do that, right?

A band-aid solution would be fine as long as it works. I only drive the car on occasion, so I don't need a ramp 24/7.

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I doubt you're ever going to be happy with any of the band aid solutions line 2x4s, etc. The best long term solution is to just have the lip in your driveway replaced with a gentle slope. I had my sidewalk ripped out (it had a very steep 45deg lip to it that my car could not clear) and replaced with pavers that mated right into my driveway. It was about $2K and is a permanent solution..

Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
i have the ruf/ohlin 4 corner lifts. they make life SOOOO much better.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I guess I'm lucky as my driveway is flat but the roads here in Amish country are tight with iffy surfaces= I would trade them for a steep driveway lol.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I looked at the KW solution, then repaved my driveway for the same price!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Danyol
I looked at the KW solution, then repaved my driveway for the same price!
Yeah, not to mention, if you sell the car, you can start over LOL. I have 3 low cars, so changing the suspension on all of them wouldn't be very practical

Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Looks good for sure! I would have to modify the sidewalk as well and I assume I would need a permit from the city to do that, right?

A band-aid solution would be fine as long as it works. I only drive the car on occasion, so I don't need a ramp 24/7.
I called the city and told them I can't enter my driveway with my cars due to the sidewalk design. To my amazement the said they would send a crew out to reshape the entry. After 6 months of waiting I called them again and they said it's still on the list but the city is broke (what city isn't?). They told me to go ahead and do what I need to do since their permit people don't have time to deal with this. I called System Pavers and they cut the sidewalk out and sloped the papers all the way down. They didn't even mention a permit...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
^ if permits aren't an issue, paving is a long term solution, and less aesthetically invasive.

In my example, driveway is on estate property but similar issue with permits/approval from owner's association for "permanent" structures. I installed semi-permanent ramps and purchased additional insurance to cover 3rd party liabilities. granted, having amiable neighbors, helps. something to consider.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	1,020.0 KB
ID:	289095  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Katmanz is on a distinguished road
I know old thread. Curious as to what suspension and drop you are running and the spacers size for both front and rears?

Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 AM
sshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant futuresshrum has a brilliant future
Pour more concrete....level out the ground.

Just throwing out ideas here...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cars too low to pull in and out of driveway without scraping- Ideas?