996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Durametric Logging 101: How to Log, What to Log, and What to do with it Afterwards

Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
regarding these parameters do you have a formula to view the knock?
To look at Boost Control or Knock, use the following:
> RPM
> Engine load
> Ignition angle
> Mass air flow
> Actual value throttle
> Oxygen sensing bank 1 Lambda Value
> Lambda setpoint B1
> Boost pressure of sensor
> Setpoint boost pressure
> Boost pressure control P/D factor
> Corr. factor for BPC with charge air temp.
> Corr. factor for BPC with knock control
im chasing a low timing issue and would like to rule out knock as a possible reason for the low timing

Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT996
One more thing: I strongly suggest disabling your virus scanner during that logging. Mine had a serious impact on the sample rate (like only 50% compared to without virus scanner)
Interesting. I'll add it to the sticky, hadn't heard that before.

I can confirm the above. Having the graph running slows down the sample rate. I am actually logging 18 values with a resolution of 10 samples per second. More should be possible with a faster notebook (currently 2.13 GHz Core2Duo).

Having an SSD harddisk is quite helpful. Durametric didn't spent time on perfomance of that logging stuff. You have to tweak the system in order to get what you want.

What I learned:

- adding RPM/s to my graphs. Very helpful information
Good deal. Yea, I'm using a 2010 MBP with a 2.66 i7 processor and a SSD drive so my sample rate has always been very good.

I really enjoy comparing the RPM/Sec. It lets you see performance changes beyond just tuning updates. I.e. lightweight wheels/rotors/etc, DA changes, boost leaks, and even general maintenance/health improvements.

- Logging knock:

That's what I missed and I wonder what these values will show if knock occurs. Do you have samples when that happens and probably explanations of the values and what they really represent?

In understand that these are not the knock sensors, but a reaction on knock, right?
^Bingo

For Knock, see below:

Originally Posted by Danyol
Tim you're right and seem knowledgeable, 2 knock sensors but individual cylinder retard; can you explain how the system works?
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
The six are estimated off the two sensors. the sensors are one the middle cylinder on bank one and bank two. the engineers figured this out many years ago. code is cheaper then more parts in the car.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
regarding these parameters do you have a formula to view the knock?
I'm chasing a low timing issue and would like to rule out knock as a possible reason for the low timing

As I understand it, you can't really have a "formula" to punch in the logged values to show knock.

The computer is monitoring knock, but it's not something we see directly, we see the resulting work of the computers effort (i.e. in timing etc). Usually with serious knock, you will hear it better than anything else. But if the computer is detecting it, it will usually start to throw a good bit of failsafes at the motor to attempt to get things back under control.

I feel like knock often gets thrown around as a culprit, but is rarely the real issue. We just all know it as a sign of bad things going on, but view it as a bit generic. It often is the end result of other components not performing to snuff.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Added "knock" to the FAQ portion with some of the general observations and questions typically asked.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
nice thread. this will help new guys alot. im always surprised about how many people dont take the time to play around with duramtric and see what their cars are doing.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Thanx so much! But... I am having a logging issue. Can you help? It won't log.

Durametric Pro, latest software, no anti virus, slowest sample rate, enable logging, 2009 C2S.

I get the software up and it recognizes the car itself, no problems. I reset the service reminder so it is working at least with that. If I have no items selected, the graph is zipping along charting nothing of course. As soon as I select an item, the graph freezes and stops logging. If I STOP, then select an item, then START, it is frozen and won't log. I tried all combos of things following your example at the start of this thread.... nothing. Tried rebooting, reconnecting, etc etc etc. Again, if no parameter is selected, it zips along fine tracking nothing.

Any insights?

Bruce in Philly

Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 PM
^Hmm thats a weird one.

Have you tried uninstalling the software and USB drivers all together and then reinstall?
What are the specs on the computer being used?
Which specific durametric cable are you using?
Any chance you can try a different laptop, or your laptop on another Porsche?

You may also want to go to task manager (press control + alt + delete to pull up task manager), then select the "durametirc" program, right click on it select "go to process", now right click on the program name (under the new tab "processes") and then go down to "set priority" and set to "high". That may help some.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
I doubt it is the computer.

- Durametric Pro cable - purchased last month
- Win 7 64
- i5-2410M 2.3 Ghz
- 6 GB
- anti virus turned off
- Wireless turned off

Fairly modern PC. I really don't think there is a performance issue. I works with setting service reminder and some simple coding changes.

I will send a note to Durametric.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Hi guys Ive managed to get a few logs for various values but can you tell me what I need to tick in the Actual Values section to log AFR/Lambda ??

Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Hi guys Ive managed to get a few logs for various values but can you tell me what I need to tick in the Actual Values section to log AFR/Lambda ??

Oxygen sensing, bank 1 Lambda Value
Oxygen sensing, bank 2 Lambda Value

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
I doubt it is the computer.

- Durametric Pro cable - purchased last month
- Win 7 64
- i5-2410M 2.3 Ghz
- 6 GB
- anti virus turned off
- Wireless turned off

Fairly modern PC. I really don't think there is a performance issue. I works with setting service reminder and some simple coding changes.

I will send a note to Durametric.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I was having issues at first as well. I ended up uninstalling the latest software and installed the older version. Worked for me.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by scsponger31
I was having issues at first as well. I ended up uninstalling the latest software and installed the older version. Worked for me.
Thanx for the tip. I will drop them an Email. What year/model is your car? (oops I see you have a 996... issue is with 997.2 DFI)

Actually, I have been working with Durametric on and off for a bunch of weeks now. They acknowledged an issue and noted I am not the only DFI owner experiencing this. They sent me a beta program to run, and a few other odd files and exercises to collect diagnostic data. They told me the car is responding with something like "invalid request" when Durametric asks for real-time values.

By the way, Durametric here in the US is a distributor for Hex Microsystems, a South African company, who developed these diagnostic tools for Porsche and BMW systems.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 01-06-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Does anyone have idea how to translate "Rough Running cylinders 1-6" values to something usable?
Last september I asked Durametric add individual cylinder retardation to the tool. Porsche OBD II DME 7.8 Diagnostic Manual mentions following info about data collected:

Rough running, cylinder 1
Rough running, cylinder 6
Rough running, cylinder 2
Rough running, cylinder 4
Rough running, cylinder 3
Rough running, cylinder 5
Cylinder 1 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
combustion. Retardation in steps from 0.75° to a maximum of
15°]
Cylinder 6 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
15°]
Cylinder 2 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
15°]
Cylinder 4 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
15°]
Cylinder 3 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
15°]
Cylinder 5 retardation [ignition angle retarded due to knocking
15°]
Safety retardation [ignition angle of all cylinders retarded in case
of failure of camshaft position sensors or knock sensors. 0 -
Retardation not active 1 - retardation active]

So it's there, and nowadays some loggers claim it to be available.
The answer I got from Durametric is:

We do not find information related to the ignition angle retardation due to knocking. As you have seen, the tool already includes values for the Rough Running cylinders 1-6.

I also asked how to intrepret given Rough Running values (
1/S^2). Answer:

We don't have that information. They are included in the tool because Porsche supports them; but we don't necessarily attempt to understand their meaning or usage.

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM
LSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud of
Getting a cable from Marksi delivered tomorrow along with my ECU. The thread is both amazing and super helpful. Thanks a ton. Helps us dumb guys out a tad.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Pete95zhn, I think you would be best to start a new thread documenting the full information and setup on your car. Sounds like something else is going on to trigger an error like that. Fueling, octane, plugs, boost leak, etc, it could be one of many things. Post up a thread with all the details & symptoms, and we'll try to narrow things down one by one.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mbgt72
Pete95zhn, I think you would be best to start a new thread documenting the full information and setup on your car. Sounds like something else is going on to trigger an error like that. Fueling, octane, plugs, boost leak, etc, it could be one of many things. Post up a thread with all the details & symptoms, and we'll try to narrow things down one by one.
Sorry, there's no problem with my car, there's a problem with Durametric. =)
While it duly reports these rough running numbers -which btw are quite unuseful,unless...more of this below- it doesn't report the really useful data, which is this ignition retadation per individual cylinder in 0.75 degree steps up to maximum of 15 degrees. PST2 can do this, but it's unobtanium for common mortals.
Now, if someone could get some data out of ME7.8, namely "ignition retard per knock event", ie how many knock events per certain timeframe is required to one 0.75 degree retadation, a total individual retardation could (maybe) be calculated from Durametric logs.
Not live data to be used at dyno tuning, but better than nothing to see if something's fundamentally wrong in ingnition tuning.

PS. In Audi's ME7.x this info is "KRFKLN - Ignition retard per knock event."

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric Logging 101: How to Log, What to Log, and What to do with it Afterwards