996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tips for 6 hour drive home

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I would never drive a car I just bought that far of a distance. Funny up until about forty I never thought twice about doing a lot of things that usually ended up being a bad idea lol.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
IITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would never drive a car I just bought that far of a distance. Funny up until about forty I never thought twice about doing a lot of things that usually ended up being a bad idea lol.
I turned 30 this year so I still have a few years to go

Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IITURBO
OK so UPS royally screwed me, the bank over nighted the loan check on Monday, they told me that it would be guaranteed delivery for Tuesday so I went ahead and booked the flight for Wednesday. Guess what, check never showed up and the messed up thing is I called UPS multiple times yesterday and they assured me that it would be delivered. If I knew earlier in the day yesterday I would have figured out another solution, but since they guaranteed me delivery yesterday I believed them. So now I'm here at work, missed my flight, and super pissed. Second issue now is my plane ticket, I tried calling US Airways multiple times yesterday only to be disconnected after every attempt, then I emailed them and got an automated response saying someone will get back to me within a week. I was so excited to drive the car home today, now I'm thinking of just paying to have it shipped to me, especially with all this unpredictable snow were having it's impossible to set a day without the fear of bad weather messing up plans. What do you guys think I should do?

Ship it. I had mine shipped last year. Best idea ever. I have a guy with a single enclosed trailer I used. Fully insured. Does only high end stuff and concept cars. I'll PM you.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cuemaster
its a 5300$ option now.
Just like the 63K in options on my Pana TTS??

Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Daytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura about
Bought one once, and put the money down, jumped in, aimed it at the interstate, and just happened to noticed the emergency brake was on. Can't check the oil level easily ether so get your checklist..

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
BW Copeland is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rmc1148
I found mine in OH, 800 miles away. I drove it back over the holiday weekend and had a blast. I went through the mountains and did some sight seeing. I'd do it again and probably will next year.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
When I bought my first used 911, a 1999, it was from Kingsport Tennessee in which I had a blast driving it back home to Chicago....But after that though ,, I wish I still had my old 1989 944 Turbo S which was extensively modified from Auto authority..

Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Make sure you have food and water.

If you are flying to the car, this might not be an option but....

I drove my GT2 back and forth to the Mad Scientist in the deep woods of Arkansas. I stopped in Hope to see Bubba Clintons' place, and the Klipsch factory, where my speakers were made. I asked a guy at the gas station how many people lived in Hope and he yelled....I apologize for using this word, quote "about 10K, not counting ******s!!"

I then stayed in a hotel in an extremely high crime area in north Little Rock. And of course, if your car broke down, all sorts of bad things could happen while you wait for the tow truck.

So, my advice is to be prepared to defend yourself.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
I would do all I could to turn it into a 3 hour drive.

Be safe, have fun, and try to stop and smell the roses!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
IITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to all
Guys unfortunately I will not be driving it home. The car will be shipped via enclosed trailer, hopefully I have it in my possession by Saturday.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 AM
zracer196 is infamous around these partszracer196 is infamous around these parts
Congrats!!

I know for me I enjoy flying / seeing & testing car / driving them home. Had a bunch...I have limited my distance to about 1200 miles or so...Two day drive max. Went to KS, Chicago, MD, etc. all back to Florida. Good times.

Also rode a sport bike from CT to FL.

I say "life is short" as well! But I like adventures...

Enjoy your car!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Bought mine in San Francisco. Drove it to Vegas for a quick overnight. Then Drove it to Houston. Not one incident and had a blast. Why buy a car and not drive it? Afraid to drive? Puhleaze.

Get a good PPI (which you should do regardless), get AAA or similar and keep your phone charged. Oh, and the Waze app and a great radar detector. Then get to high gear and go.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
Bought mine in San Francisco. Drove it to Vegas for a quick overnight. Then Drove it to Houston. Not one incident and had a blast. Why buy a car and not drive it? Afraid to drive? Puhleaze.

Get a good PPI (which you should do regardless), get AAA or similar and keep your phone charged. Oh, and the Waze app and a great radar detector. Then get to high gear and go.
100% Agree.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:01 PM
jimq is infamous around these parts
Dont over think it, Get in it and drive like any car.