996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need Help! Anyone who has changed BOVs on 996TT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 07:59 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Need Help! Anyone who has changed BOVs on 996TT!

I have gotten the rear BOV out but have found the front BOV clamps are facing away from me toward the front of the car. I cannot see any way to get pliers on these two clamps in the cramped space I have to work in. If you have overcome this hurdle please tell me how.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2003, 08:13 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Help! Anyone who has changed BOVs on 996TT!

Originally posted by MBailey
I have gotten the rear BOV out but have found the front BOV clamps are facing away from me toward the front of the car. I cannot see any way to get pliers on these two clamps in the cramped space I have to work in. If you have overcome this hurdle please tell me how.
Thanks
You may need one of these : Available from several internet tool places , some a little cheaper, but this place got them to me in 48 hours : Astro Pneumatic Hose Clamp Plier

Old 11-08-2003, 08:51 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
MKW,
Did you successfully use this tool to solve a problem like mine? How does it work?
Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Don't be afraid to twist and turn the hoses that is what I had to do to get the rear one off. Those blasted clamps suck and who was the moron that put them on facing away from the engine lid???

I will pm you my phone # if you want any more help.

Good Luck!

Old 11-08-2003, 09:25 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
The space is very cramped but try to get a little mirror in there (a dentist's mirror is perfect) to see how the clamps work and the best way to go about removing them. If I remember correctly, we ended up turning the clamp around and then removing it on msindi's car. The kit should also come with more clamps if I am not mistaken, so in a worst case scenario you could just cut the stock ones. Please let us know how you make out.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
It's easier to just leave the front DV on the rubber manifold and remove the lower clamp of the DV and remove the front DV and rubber manifold as one unit. If you notice in the pics the top clamp is still facing forward.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:16 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Need Help! Anyone who has changed BOVs on 996TT!

Originally posted by MKW
You may need one of these : Available from several internet tool places , some a little cheaper, but this place got them to me in 48 hours : Astro Pneumatic Hose Clamp Plier
I had to use this tool to change my DVs. Seems like most of my clamps where turned towards the front , even the F-manifold ones as noted by Oak , so his recommendation wouldn't have worked in my case.

Old 11-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Banned
sticky is on a distinguished road
Are these BOV's or diverter valves?

Old 11-08-2003, 03:17 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Diverter/re-circulating valves....
Those clamps are a PITA to remove and so I replaced mine with the regular hose clamps that I got with my Bailey DVs...

Old 11-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Unhappy

Thanks for all the advice. I was not successful today. I was trying the grab the far prong of the clamp and slowly turn it around with some long 90 degree needle nose pliers. I got the rear BOV back on and all hoses reattached with no codes (thank God) upon starting.
My hands are cut up and sore and need some rest. I may try again in a week or so or may try to hire a trustworthy person that has some experiance (not hard to have more than me). If I had one of you guys to look over my shoulder I probably could have completed the job.
Again thank you all for your responces