Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

SportShift Gearbox

Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 PM
00aston is on a distinguished road
SportShift Gearbox

Changes are very clunky, making it quite uncomfortable to drive.

Would an box oil change assist on smoothening shifts? Note that I do go through the clutch learn process as stated in other threads.

Car has done about 40,000km and there is no mention by the previous owner of box oil changes

Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Before you drive it next time, take 20 seconds idle before putting it in gear. Upshift manually lifting on the gas between shifts. See if that helps. I had an 07 6 speed, have now an 09 sportshift, and trading next week for a 15 GT and was considering a 6 speed but only because they are more common, then last minute changed to a sportshift. Once you drive it like its meant to, you will like it.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Before you drive it next time, take 20 seconds idle before putting it in gear. Upshift manually lifting on the gas between shifts. See if that helps. I had an 07 6 speed, have now an 09 sportshift, and trading next week for a 15 GT and was considering a 6 speed but only because they are more common, then last minute changed to a sportshift. Once you drive it like its meant to, you will like it.
I do usually let it idle before taking off.
Do you think box oil would help?

Old 08-23-2015, 02:31 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
No expert on mechanical stuff, but others on this forum seem to be

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
The sport shift is a learning progress and thats why i love it. If its a new car to you then you'll need time to get used to it but if you've owned it for a while then maybe there's more to it.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:35 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Are you driving it like a manual? As stated above, you need to lift off the throttle on upshifts, and the timing and speed of the lift have to be varied depending on revs, how hard you are accelerating etc., just like in a manual, in order for the shift to be executed smoothly.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:59 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
The problem is not at high speed driving, it's going through parking lots and such. The Sportshift is unpredictable when it decides to lurch or engage gradually

Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Just don't drive it in 'D', ever, even in parking lots That way only you make the decision when and how to shift.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by spinecho
Just don't drive it in 'D', ever, even in parking lots That way only you make the decision when and how to shift.
Not true when you're backing out of a spot!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Welcome to the forums, but you might have some reading online and from that owners manual. The ASM for Vantage is NOT an automatic, just putting that out of the way..like a lot of others have stated, the Vantage ASM is a manual transmission vehicle, just shifted hydraulically.

What year and how much mileage.
Is it the original clutch.
Has the car been to the dealer for a fault scan, does it have the latest updates.
Do you perform a clutch learn every cold start, do you drive with D selected or paddles. Do you keep sport mode always selected.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Ditto to above. Almost bought a '15 GT with 6 speed, decided to find one with sportshift. Had both vantages before... Prefer sportshift.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by rohnin
Not true when you're backing out of a spot!
Not sure what you mean. Reverse is an unusually tall gear, both on SS and manual Vantages, well known 'issue'. Maybe SS1/2 are different, but with my SS3 I have no problems with reversing - it just takes a very sensitive right foot to get the correct balance of amount and rate of throttle input for the desired result.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Mine is a SS1, when you let off the brake sometimes it wants to lurch, other times it engages slowly (reverse). Yes I perform clutch learn at every start up

This will be a non issue as I'm selling the car this week

Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Welcome to the forums, but you might have some reading online and from that owners manual. The ASM for Vantage is NOT an automatic, just putting that out of the way..like a lot of others have stated, the Vantage ASM is a manual transmission vehicle, just shifted hydraulically.

What year and how much mileage.
Is it the original clutch.
Has the car been to the dealer for a fault scan, does it have the latest updates.
Do you perform a clutch learn every cold start, do you drive with D selected or paddles. Do you keep sport mode always selected.
It's a 4.7L 2009
45000kms
Haven't seen records of clutch change- but it doesn't slip
Hasn't been to dealer yet- only had it for a short period. Serviced by Aston the week before I purchased it (evidenced by receipts)
Clutch learn every cold start
Driven mostly with paddles
Always in sport mode

Problem is mostly at low speeds - clunky shifts and the occasional stall.
I thought fresh box fluids will smoothen it up a bit. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 AM
I had no problems like that with mine which was also a 2009, with 43,000 miles on it. I think it's worth taking it to the Aston Martin dealer who has the equipment to determine what the problem is cause it's not normal.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SportShift Gearbox