996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Time To The Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
First Time To The Track

Last weekend I took my 996TT for a PCA DE event at the Carolina Motorsports Park. It was my first track event ever and the amount of learning/fun I had was incredible! I have done autocross last year so accidentally "drifting" for a few seconds did not make me sweat bullets. My instructor is an ex Formula Ford racer and he was not too concerned since I handled it well. They do have a 2 spinout rule anyway!

Also this was probably not the fastest way to pull out of some tight corners but powering out in second gear breaks loose the rear wheels pretty good before PSM kicks in. I'm wondering if the all wheel drive is really working .

My car only has a Softronic tune, Agency Power exhaust, and short throw shifter.
I did notice that if I let out the clutch fast going from 3rd (at 6000 rpm) to 4th there was a slight (1/2 second) delay before the car accelerated. If I let the clutch out easier from 3rd to 4th it accelerated immediately. Is that clutch slip? I did not notice this during fast gear changing from 2nd to 3rd.
Also I do not notice any issues during normal driving.
Is my clutch starting to go?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I have had the same issue with my car. It's definitely not the clutch. It's the ECU nannies trying to put a stop to your fun.

I don't notice the issue much, if at all when I have the PSM off.

Later, Steve

Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Steve,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm glad it's not a clutch issue.
I've never launched in first gear but have done rolling pulls.

Jim