996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lets Put A Corvette Engine In A Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Oh man, that looks like a blast!

thanks Roland!

Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned
Ferrarislave is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Lets Put A Corvette Engine In A Porsche?

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
the LS1 motor weighs a tad over 400 lbs, probably the same as the porsche motor.

Also just about the same as the rotary

I've got a buddy w/ an LS1 RX7 back east. He says the car is just an absolute blast around a track. Much respect to this guy for the project he did in that 911 and for some reason a ls1 in an e36 M3 now really really intrigues me

you keep talking about heavy, slow, unbalanced V8 You do realize the LS is probably one of the top motors made right now right? It's anything but heavy, slow revving and unbalanced
It is a great motor, but I would not want it in a Porsche, nor a Mazda RX, and certaintly not in a BMW. You loose the "soul" of the car. The LS certaintly does not rev to 8500rpm's or 9000rpm's, except the pure race motors, so to me it is a slow reving motor.

An LS is great in a boat, or a kit car, or a Vette where it belongs, no where else!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Re: Re: Re: Lets Put A Corvette Engine In A Porsche?

Originally posted by Ferrarislave
The LS certaintly does not rev to 8500rpm's or 9000rpm's, except the pure race motors, so to me it is a slow reving motor.
does the RX7 motor, or any of the motors in the porsches that are getting swapped for? Or the e36? Nope

Motors belong wherever the owner thinks they should go

So your theory on the weight was thrown out, the "slow revving" quote was negated because the other motors by your terms were "slow revving" What the E36 shifts at 7200? I know those old porsche motors aren't going above that.

While you say the cars lose their soul, i bet a lot would say these cars now have a brand new ego.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 09-14-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned
I think you are trying to get at my for bashing American cars and engines. Im not doing that, I like American cars, and own a few and they are very realible, powerfull etc.. I just think that taking out a E36 M3 motor and swaping it for a Corvette motor is stupid, the Corvette motor will not rev as high, it will overall just not be as fun. The M series BMW's were never ment to be Hotrods, it just goes against what the cars where built for. Espacially being a fan of BMW's I think it is unethical

It is owners choice, and in my opinion it's lame.

Now a LS7 in a Kitcar, or something of that nature would be really cool, or a LS in GM SUV.

Last edited by Ferrarislave; 09-14-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
No, i'm not trying to get at you for bashing american cars at all. It's just the basis you are bringing isn't working. The LS motors come pretty close, teh LS6 goes to 6500 while the M3 goes to what, 7100? I've driven LS6's that rev up to 7500. You brought in weight, the LS is lighter then the old inlines (probably the new as well). My buddy w/ the RX w/ the LS said handling improved, so there goes that theory again.

Nothing was ever ment to be a hot rod, that's the beauty of it. But man an E36 w/ an LS6 would be an f'ing blast no doubt. But I understand you don't see the point, most people don't have that madness in them. I don't care what is in what, if it's cool, it's cool. That porsche is definately cool. An LS'd E36 would probably be cooler in my eyes. And even cooler cause it'd **** a whole lotta people off.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 09-14-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Ferrarislave, What American cars do you own??

Last edited by MANA; 09-14-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 PM
aben8057 is on a distinguished road
They actually fit this Chevy LT1 into a 944

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...75031552QQrdZ1

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned
Mana, Currently own, a Silverado with a vortec 6000, had a Lincoln Navigator before the Range, also have a fleet of Chevy work vans. No American sports cars if that is what you’re asking.

I think it is incredible to have cars like Vipers, and Vettes, with tremendous power and all, but throwing a Chevy motor into a BMW is just wrong all together. I would never do it, if I wanted more power I would look to other alternatives and stay brand loyal by dropping in a M5 motor, or E46. While my argument doesn't have much to support itself, I still believe it ruins the car.

If I had a E36 with a LS in it, It would make me vomit each time I walked to the car. Seeing a Camaro or a Corvette coverd by a BMW, yuck! Even more so would be hearing the deep sound of the LS as apposed to the soft whine of a rev revving M motor.

If I wanted a car to go all out, like you said, “most people don't have that madness in them†I would build a Viper like Mana’s and not “ruinâ€Â, a BMW or RX by throwing in a American V8.

A better example would be something like dropping a suprecharged LS7 in a Gallardo because it has more power, is lighter in weight, and would make the car more fun. While that might sound great to the Camaro hotrodders it sounds terrible to me. The car would loose its soul, it wouldn't be a Lambo anymore, but a kit car, same goes for all the other swaps such as the E36 etc..

Last edited by Ferrarislave; 09-14-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:08 PM
orijinal_poser is on a distinguished road
rotaries can & will support high revving. just like honda type r motors. the renesis rotary engine in the rx8 has a 9000 rpm redline & is so quiet hitting redline that a mazda put in a buzzer above 7 grand i believe. the last gen RX7 had a redline somewhere between 7-8 grand. with twin turbos.

my m3 revs up to 7000 rpm with a dinan chip. stock redline is 6500 rpm.....

although it may be interesting and i do respect the blood, sweat, & tears that went into swaps like that, i cannot stand them. i guess i am a "purist".

and also, the LSx in an e36 has already been done. http://www.vorshlag.com/E36ProjectBook.asp

i've always thought about doing this to **** off the guys who are swapping LSx's into everything. swap in a rotary into a c5 z06. that would spin some heads

Last edited by orijinal_poser; 09-14-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned
Yes, it was hard for me to put into words the way I feel. But I also can't stand them, I am a purist also. I recently drove a Friends RX8, and it was a blast, I loved hearing the engine scream under the hood. While if I had a Corvette I would not want that, I would want deep muscle grunt, and not some high pitched whine.

Overall, I give the people credit for doing the swaps, they are very good mechanics, and have good thinking and problem solving skills, but it is pointless to do in my book. Get a kit car, or build on your Corvette, or Camaro platform!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
I'm straddling this issue. The V8 in a 911 seems a bit of a stretch to me. I can't argue against it analytically, but emotionally, I'd feel an LS1 911 would just *feel* wrong.

OTOH, when I first saw the Renegade Hybrids site a few years ago, and contemplated a V8 Chevy engine in a 944, I just about creamed my tidy whities. The engine in a 944 (NA, at least) is pretty gutless, and doesn't sound too special, so I wouldn't feel bad about losing it. A front-engined, powerful, RWD sportscar with a balanced chassis? Poor man's Ferrari 550 Maranello

Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned
Definetly! A Chevy powerd BMW, or Porsche = yuck!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've had those so called slow revving small block chevy motors in race trim shifting at 9 and crossing the lights at 11,000 RPM. An all aluminum SBC racing engine is well under 400 lbs BTW.
Regardless, I don't think I would do it, but I can see his reasoning, it is a hell of lot cheaper to build and race than a porsche flat six. FWIW, I think a SBC powerplant is a far superior platform for a racing engine than any porsche motor, it's proven itself many times.
I agree that putting one in a porsche makes it no longer a porsche, unless it's for all out racing, what's the point?
However, a comparison btwn a SBC and a flat six as racing engine platforms is another story all together.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 09-14-2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
I guess the owner wanted a German based muscle car??? If it makes him happy, good for him...

IMO, putting a Vette engine in a Porsche defeats the purpose of buying the car. Porsche 911s are known for performing better than cars with bigger engines and more power. This isn't a Porsche though... It's a.................... Muscle car?? Muscle cars are cool, but I would rather have this car in stock trim. Reason being because it has such an original design and it was born a classic!

This would make Ferdinand Porsche cry.

PS - By small engines I mean they use flat-6s, instead of v8s and larger... You get the point.

And one more thing:
Although it's a weird car, I would love to drive it and see how it performs!

Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I can understand being pissed if this guy did it to a 996, but this is what, a early 80's 911? That thing wouldn't be able to stick up w/ much at the track, now I bet it's a demon.

Cars like this are still around for projects like this. I seriously doubt Ferdinand Porsche would cry, he was as much of a hot rodder in his young days as anyone. He'd probably look puzzled then ask the guy for the keys to see how it performed.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 09-15-2005 at 09:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lets Put A Corvette Engine In A Porsche?