996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Durametric fuel gauge reset?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 AM
breakfast is infamous around these partsbreakfast is infamous around these partsbreakfast is infamous around these parts
Durametric fuel gauge reset?

Is this a possibility with it?

Im convinced my '03TT is not reading quite right. Gauge works just fine.
But I cant seem to get much more than 40-42 liters or 10-11 gallons once the light comes on. (At first running it down quite low it only ever took around 40 liters)

Is this right?

I think the previous owner likely disconnected the battery with less than half a tank so the calibration got all wonky.

It seems to be getting slightly better over time but I am curious if I can do a calibration with durametric or another way?

I briefly read that filling up, then disconnecting battery for a while can work.

Thoughts?

thanks

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Curious to hear what others have to say, my shop said it was a time consuming process to to fix this, and that you needed PWIS.

I never bothered paying to have it calibreated.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Short answer is yes. Things in general regarding fuel system (that I have heard of)

1. Fuse, E6 (usually fuel will squirt back at you)
2. Pinched vent tubing (TSB 5/99, 2015)
3. Incorrect fuel level display (TSB 01/04, 2066)
4. Calibration issues...(see below)
5. Various "legends" about nozzle differences, angle of entry and depth of entry (OK I know what you guys are thinking...gutter minds)...I have heard 9:00 position works better...LOL
6. Fuel pump, ruptured fuel lines...all resulting in car won't start
7. Fuel level sender unit (either failed or the floater arm is stuck behind hoses)
8. Fuel filter
9. Gage cluster faulty...yikes

For calibration:
The factory calibration procedure is to use 28 liters (7.3 US gallons), not 13 liters. It is also important that the fuel tank is completely empty before starting this procedure.

"Calibrating fuel level sensor system
1. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.
2. Remove cap over the fuel level sensor system.
3. Remove fuel level sensor. Removing and installing fuel pump.
4. Using a fuel extractor, completely drain the fuel tank through the fuel level sensor opening.
5. Make sure that the two recesses on the left and right hand sides of the tank are emptied completely.
6. Reinstall the fuel level sensor and, with "ignition off", fill the tank with exactly 28 liters of fuel.
7. Perform tank calibration with the Porsche System Tester 2 (PIWIS or Durametric):
- Select vehicle type (911 Carrera)
- Select control modules
- Select instrument cluster
- Select menu item "Tank calibration"
- Confirm calibration
8. The fuel level sensor system has now been calibrated."

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Ck986 is on a distinguished road
I think I had this problem but after disconnecting my battery so many times over the last few months, to do basic maintenance I think my gauge somehow fixed itself. I always disconnected the power with a full tank. Previously when filling the car the gauge would read just under the top tic, this last time I filled it up it actually went all the way. I hope I reset it somehow, but I'm sure I will mess it up again the next time I disconnect the power.