996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Ok I have a catalytic converter code. Comes and goes. Usually in damp conditions. Never in summer. I thought proceeding in the following order: 1. Check contacts (probably not it, or possible)? 2. Changing the sensors? 3. Anyone knows what makes are they? Can I get them direct I.e. Denso? 4. Fitting an emulator? Anyone done this? Finally, I have a tune. Would they disable oxygen sensors? How would I find this out? Thanks.

Last edited by Terminator; 09-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I suggest to contact your tuner and they will let you know what the options are to address the O2 code.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Agree about contacting tuner but you could also electro-clean contacts and put some dielectric grease on them. I always change mine at the 50k mark or when they act up= preventive maintenance. I usually go with Bosch or Denso.

Last edited by rmc1148; 09-28-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Agree about contacting tuner but you could also electro-clean contacts and put some dielectric grease on them. I always change mine at the 50k mark or when they act up= preventive maintenance. I usually go with Bosch or Denso.
Thanks mate. Do you have Bosch or Denso part number by any chance? Preference? Where to buy?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by levinsje
I suggest to contact your tuner and they will let you know what the options are to address the O2 code.
Don't know the tuner. Inherited the tune. Bummer. But the code wasn't there before so I am guessing sensors. Do they play a role in the tune?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:38 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Check some of the venders here and elsewhere for part numbers/pricing. Amazon has good prices but I usually use ecs or rockauto.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmc1148
NO. Do not do this. The O2 sensor contacts should not be cleaned nor greased with anything. This is stated in the factory manual.

The sensor should not be unscrewed until after the connector is separated.

My info why is the sensor breathes through its cable/lead and connector. It needs outside air to work and this air wants to be dust, moisture and contaminant free.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Ok I have a catalytic converter code. Comes and goes. Usually in damp conditions. Never in summer. I thought proceeding in the following order: 1. Check contacts (probably not it, or possible)? 2. Changing the sensors? 3. Anyone knows what makes are they? Can I get them direct I.e. Denso? 4. Fitting an emulator? Anyone done this? Finally, I have a tune. Would they disable oxygen sensors? How would I find this out? Thanks.
What is the converter code? I would hazard a guess it is P0420 or P0430. This is converter performing below efficiency. (This means the converter just can't store enough oxygen to do its job.)

If the code points to the converter the usual course of action is to if there are any other codes -- could be a pending code too so read pending codes -- that point to "aging" O2 sensors to replace the sensors indicated and then clear the codes and drive the car. If the converter codes come back then replace the converters.

My Boxster generated a P0430 code most often in the winter months. I switched from using a discount gasoline to using Shell V-Power, which helped cut down how often the code appeared.

Some few months back I had the car in for something else and I asked the tech to find and fix the rattling heat shields. He reported back the shields were fine the noise was a converter rattling, its "brick" was loose. I suspected as much. But I was tired of the noise and the code coming back so I picked up two used converters and had him install them. (Before I bought the used converters I gave them a good shake test and confirmed both were quiet. I handled them with care too.)

Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 PM
The 02 sensor does not breath through the electrical connection period.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I will have to find my source on this.

In the meantime, from the factory 996 Turbo DME repair manual:

♦ Do not use contact spray on the connectors to oxygen sensors.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
This is not the source I was thinking of when I posted but this will do.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...-02_Sensor.htm

"911 Carrera 4 has a new, water-proof oxygen sensor. Water-proof means that the upper sensor section and housing are connected leak-proof with a later welded seam and previous reference air openings are omitted. Reference air is now taken via the connecting lead and plug connection. For this reason it is important to keep contact solutions, lubricants, liquids or similar products out of the 3-pin plug, since they would lead to sensor failure"

Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Yes you are correct about the air flow around wire sheathing but the connectors themselves can be cleaned and lightly greased. I have changed dozens of o2 sensors and have never had an issue but completely see your way of following rules.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Don't know the tuner. Inherited the tune. Bummer. But the code wasn't there before so I am guessing sensors. Do they play a role in the tune?
Email all of the tuners and ask them if they have your VIN on their flash files... they will come back vey quickly... took me all of 2 days and 7 emails to find out my old tune

Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Had same code p0430. When markski flashed the car check engine light went away. Im running high flow cats

Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Yes my code is 0420. Yes I am getting it mostly in damp winter months. So is the oxygen sensor the most likely culprit? @ Macster, did your used sensor replacement did the job and stop the code? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor