996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ipod question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:05 PM
john stephanus is on a distinguished road
ipod question

I know I am probably wayyy behind on this sort of thing, but I heard over the weekend that one can use an ipod as the source for your car's stereo system. Way better than 6 cd's in the trunk...so it seems. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Banned
Chordate is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, you can buy the iTrip from griffin. It transmitts the music over the radio waves, and you can tune to the specific channel using your sound system. Although this is analog, the quality is still good, but a little worse than a CD player

Here is a link
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T7194LL/A

Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks much...sounds like a great thing.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
I just got a 29\0GB Ipod on my bday and bought the Belkin FM Transmitter (I trip for new Ipod not out yet I think....besides this is supposed to be better).
You can also connect Ipod via cradle to car (if yo want permanent wiring - better sound quality this way).
FUnny thing is I was just thinking of posting who here had an Ipod and how they were using it in the car....beat me to it or psychic

Old 11-17-2003, 05:21 AM
Wheat is on a distinguished road
Be wary of the fm transmitter in or near metroplitan areas. I live about 30 miles outside of NY and always had problems. Outside of met areas, they work great. I'm hardwiring my ipod into my new pioneer nav system today. Input will be in the ashtray.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:40 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Wheat - let me/us know what parts are needed and plz post pics once install is done...

Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes...I am very interested in more info on hardwiring it into my car.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:36 PM
JM996 is on a distinguished road
I am getting a iPod as a suprise anniversary gift that I know nothing about (I swear). I was wondering how this might be hard wired to the 03 Bose system too. If anybody has an idea let me know.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
YSITSMN is on a distinguished road
I am also using the FM transmiter right now. I aam not sure if you have hardwire the pod in to the stock deck. Let me do some looking around and I will get back to the post. I know that there are a few C.O. that have plugs that go in to the changer input and alow you to add in a aux souce.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Can someone explain why an iPod is so good relative to other MP3 players? I am interested in one, but want to know the advantages.
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Scott...from what I read the combo of capacity, easy intuitive usability, slick design, etc. set it apart.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 PM
YSITSMN is on a distinguished road
Well if you have a MAC it is a much better unit. I don't know how many other players can hold up to 40 GB of music.... Pictures, Voice Recordings, and text. If you own a mac you can also put your I calander on it and use it as a planner. They are comming out with all knids of stuff for it right now. The possibilitys for this unit are much better that a typical mp3 player The I pod was MAC only but is now PC friendly.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Banned
Small (It is the smallest hard-drive MP3 Player on the market)

Easy to use (The OS is extremely easy to use, unlike most other hard-drive MP3 players, you can create play lists on the fly)

Sounds excellent (If you think your CD player sounds good, just wait till you hear the ipod, it is unbelievable, especially with the included headphones)

Its also has games on it, and an organizer

It also looks cool... so get it

Make sure you get the 20GB version for 399 (or the 40GB version)
Do not get the 10GB version because the 20GB version has the docking station ($40 value), remote ($40 value) and the case ($40 value) and also the extra 10 GB (worth quite a bit) for only $100 more than the 10GB version. (the 10GB version has none of these extras)

for more info, go to www.ipod.com

Old 11-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Banned
I see that this was moved to the O/T section, which is completely acceptible because it is O/T. However, if it started in the O/T section, I am sure that we would not have anywhere neer this amounts of posts. Plus, there was a question about fitting the IPOD into a 996. Anyways, I think if you bring the O/T link inside the 996 Turbo section (like as a stickey), it would get a lot more people coming into it. I can understand if you cannot do this though.

Old 11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
JM996 is on a distinguished road
A plug that goes on the changer allowing an aux source would work out great. Let me know what you find. I did some searchs relative to iPod and didn't come up with much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ipod question