996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Replace my shocks or go for coil overs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
My links did not need adjustment on either of my cars but perhaps my 9s are different to your 10s

Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 AM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by timccloud
My links did not need adjustment on either of my cars but perhaps my 9s are different to your 10s
I'm pretty certain they sent me the wrong drop links, they should have been a straight forward fit. Cost me extra $ with indy plus they're all scratched up from the vice to have them shortened. I was clear as day with email and conversation it was for a 996 turbo with PSS10's.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:21 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Ride height looks great! Sorry to hear you had the issues with the drop links but looks like you got it sorted.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Replace my shocks or go for coil overs.

Originally Posted by JimTT
Well its all done, PSS10's, Tarret drop links (f & r) and rear LCA thrust solid bushings are in.
Had a short drive and all seems really good, no knocking or unusual noises. Installer had them at set at 6 rear and 4 front but I felt they were a bit soft and I clicked them to 8 & 6 which seems to be just right for my driving style. Changing the settings was quite easy.

I am a little disappointed with Tarret as their front drop links were way too long and had to have them modified. My indy said he wasted a lot of time and in the end he had to cut them down by 30mm and re tapped them to the correct size. Not sure what happened here, maybe they sent me the wrong ones.

Having a full track day this Sunday and might set them a bit firmer for the track, it will be interesting to see how it all goes but car use is mainly daily driving and some spirited driving through the hills on weekends.

So far car feels very planted but quite compliant over harsh bumps.

I'll give them a better review in due course.

I just want to thank everyone's input (especially powdrhound & Timcloud) in helping out with advice and steering me in the right direction, its very much appreciated.

Anyway here is the new lower stance, about 15mm lower than ROW.

and the drop links with the vice marks to tap them
Ride height looks same as mine Jimbo but u need get some spacers 24mm up front 15mm down back.

What tyres do u run up front? I use 235 federal semi slicks about 250 a pair i think from someone down ur way easy to find on e bay. 235s huge improvement over 225s.

I should be home in January so hopefully will see u then.

Last edited by timccloud; 09-23-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Ride height looks same as mine Jimbo but u need get some spacers 24mm up front 15mm down back.

What tyres do u run up front? I use 235 federal semi slicks about 250 a pair i think from someone down ur way easy to find on e bay. 235s huge improvement over 225s.

I should be home in January so hopefully will see u then.
Michelin PSS 225 40 front and PS2 295 30 back, I love my Michelins. I never skimp on quality tires. You probably already know this but you need to use right ratio front to back as you can burn out your front diff. I believe with 235 40 fronts you need to have 315 30 rears.
I have heard Federals can have tread separation issues.

I read you lowered yours by 30mm and mine was around 15mm.

Do you have a date locked in for January?

Measured from ground level through wheel cap center and wheel arch.
Front 628mm
Rear 645mm

Here's another shot.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Maybe they could come apart over 250 but i dont often pass that.

To much understeer with 225s if ur pushing i find

I have 315s in the cupboard which ill fit once i have time to roll the guards.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 PM
If u used the specs i sent and it looks like u did, ur at the same height as me which they said was around 30mm lower but who knows maybe its 15mm

Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 AM
Maybe they could come apart over 250 but i dont often pass that.

To much understeer with 225s if ur pushing i find

I have 315s in the cupboard which ill fit once i have time to roll the guards.
So you do go past 250 on the odd occasion.

If u used the specs i sent and it looks like u did, ur at the same height as me which they said was around 30mm lower but who knows maybe its 15mm
Thanks again for helping out, I owe you a few beers.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:30 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I am a little disappointed with Tarret as their front drop links were way too long and had to have them modified. My indy said he wasted a lot of time and in the end he had to cut them down by 30mm and re tapped them to the correct size. Not sure what happened here, maybe they sent me the wrong ones.

and the drop links with the vice marks to tap them
Jim,
Looks like you are missing the drop link mounts that are normally threaded onto the base of the shock just above the upright and below the lower spring perch. These mounts allow the drop link to be mounted much higher up thus eliminating the binding you normally get when the drop links are mounted to the upright pinch bolt. This is the reason your drop link was too long. Tarret sells a much shorter drop link that can be used the old fashioned way but it appears you had the extended DL which required use of their mounting bracket.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/n5YYfX]

Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Pwdrhound
I sent Taret photos and Ira said they most likely did supplied the wrong sizes.
The only difference that I can see with your pic is the perch, I ordered links excluding perch for PSS10's. Links are different for PSS10's than other shocks. Should have been straight forward.

Here's another pic.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:20 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Pwdrhound
The only difference that I can see with your pic is the perch, I ordered links excluding perch for PSS10's. Links are different for PSS10's than other shocks. Should have been straight forward.

Here's another pic.

Yes, they sent you the wrong links. You should have got the short ones.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 AM
[QUOTE=JimTT;4405157]
Pwdrhound
The only difference that I can see with your pic is the perch, I ordered links excluding perch for PSS10's. Links are different for PSS10's than other shocks. Should have been.

Jimbo ask him for a refund or a credit he owes u that at least.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i find it really strange that so many seem to have out of the box issues with an install of a tarett product. this in spite of how well engineered and how much an improvement the actual part itself, might be to the cars suspension. it's more common than i thought. i mean, ira will always take a call to help which is cool, but why should that be necessary? my bud who works on these all day every day had to call and we STILL threw in the towel on a camber plate install attempt. i'm still pissed and less a -.1 degree of neg camber lol

car looks good jimbo but the rear still appears a tad high for my liking, though being high has never been chief among my complaints. i'm guessing, a 20mm drop,.. max.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i find it really strange that so many seem to have out of the box issues with an install of a tarett product. this in spite of how well engineered and how much an improvement the actual part itself, might be to the cars suspension. it's more common than i thought. i mean, ira will always take a call to help which is cool, but why should that be necessary? my bud who works on these all day every day had to call and we STILL threw in the towel on a camber plate install attempt. i'm still pissed and less a -.1 degree of neg camber lol

car looks good jimbo but the rear still appears a tad high for my liking, though being high has never been chief among my complaints. i'm guessing, a 20mm drop,.. max.
Thanks Mark
Currently happy with the height but that might change.

As with the incorrect drop link lengths, my Indy cut and tapped them to the correct height. I was very lucky I had someone experienced.

I didn't get a reply from Tarett so I sent them another email and this was their response.

Taretts 1st response email after my second email to them.
Hi Jim,
Sorry, I thought I answered you last night. It looks like we have the correct link listed on your receipt. The red section should be 5.78” long. Maybe we assembled it with the wrong length link. That hasn’t happened yet, but it’s possible. Do you know how long your link was?

Thanks,
Ira

Taretts 2nd email

There are two possibilities. First is that we assembled the kit with the wrong link. If so, than sorry and maybe I can make up for the inconvenience with a discount on anything else that you might need. The other possibility is that it had the correct link, which may now be too short. Looking at your picture, I’m wondering if the suspension is loaded or hanging? If it’s hanging, than the link may be too short. The swaybar arm should be very close to the LCA when the suspension is hanging. As the suspension gets loaded, the swaybar will move away from the lower arm and up towards the axle. If the link is too short, the bar will contact the axle when hitting bumps. I’d recommend checking to see how close the bar is to the axle with the suspension loaded.

Taretts 3nd email

It’s hard to say for sure, but it looks like the link is still too long, so no worries about it hitting the axle. It looks longer than the 5.78” one. I think it’s likely that we must have assembled it with the wrong link. A measurement will tell for sure. If so, please let me know how I can make up for your inconvenience. Also, I noticed that you have the link attached on the outer side of the bar. Different bars require different setups, but most have the links on the inner side. Either way, as long as there is no binding or contact between the link and wheel carrier, you should be ok like that.

Last edited by JimTT; 09-26-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Get him to send u the correct set or get a refund Jimbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace my shocks or go for coil overs.