996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Storage and Gas Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
whtrabt is on a distinguished road
Storage and Gas Question

Hey guys

So that time has come again to store the Turbo during our harsh northern winters. Just wondering if anyone sees a bad side as to NOT filling the tank completely full. Last year I was told that it needs to be completely full to avoid condensation and possibly rust? I really didn't questions it much and said who cares as its just a tank of gas so filled it and stabilized it. But this spring it took a few weeks to get that old gas out of there as I don't drive it every day in spring/summer. So not boosting was hard lol! And I also noticed that when the old gas was out the car ran much much better. With the old gas even though it was stabilized it felt like the car was almost misfiring at high speeds or medium boost (.5-1.0 bar)

So long story short do I really need to fill the tank completely? Or can I just put like a quarter tank and stabilize it. Then come spring get it out of there rather quickly or just fill up with fresh gas so it dilutes all that old stuff?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I store my cars with stabil full tank never a problem. I keep gas in storage for over a year for emergencies and have never had an issue. Opinions will vary. My 911 runs as well in the spring as when I put it away.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmc1148
I store my cars with stabil full tank never a problem. I keep gas in storage for over a year for emergencies and have never had an issue. Opinions will vary. My 911 runs as well in the spring as when I put it away.
+1 stabil wins

Old 10-01-2015, 04:54 AM
mxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Just to add a bit....make sure you are getting the alcohol (blue) version of stabil if you are in fact running what is now "normal" pump gas.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Don't over think it. There are people from both camps. Just add stabil and run the gas out immediately in spring. You will be fine.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by whtrabt
Hey guys

So that time has come again to store the Turbo during our harsh northern winters. Just wondering if anyone sees a bad side as to NOT filling the tank completely full. Last year I was told that it needs to be completely full to avoid condensation and possibly rust? I really didn't questions it much and said who cares as its just a tank of gas so filled it and stabilized it. But this spring it took a few weeks to get that old gas out of there as I don't drive it every day in spring/summer. So not boosting was hard lol! And I also noticed that when the old gas was out the car ran much much better. With the old gas even though it was stabilized it felt like the car was almost misfiring at high speeds or medium boost (.5-1.0 bar)

So long story short do I really need to fill the tank completely? Or can I just put like a quarter tank and stabilize it. Then come spring get it out of there rather quickly or just fill up with fresh gas so it dilutes all that old stuff?

Thanks!
With the vapor recovery system and plastic tanks condensation is not a real issue.

I would still lean towards filling the tank if not brim full nearly so as this ensures the fuel pump and lines are submerged and are not as likely to dry out and possibly fail prematurely.

Might add this is doubly important in the Turbo as its fuel system is quite complex with the two siphon jets and hoses and what have you.

The downside is when the storage period is over with one is faced with driving the car enough to burn through a tank of stale gas. I experienced a 2011 Infiniti with 6 month old gasoline and while the engine didn't have a problem starting or idling the engine felt flat until I ran the tank level down and was then able to fill up with fresh premium gasoline. The Infiniti engine was transformed by the fresh gasoline.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I drive mine year around if I can .