996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Let's talk seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:40 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
Cobra Misano's are also a nice seat
I really like this to but back to 3200 for a set, then add brackets and harnesses on top of that. Looking close to 4k

Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
OEM GT3 seats are the best street car seats I've ever experienced. They are super supportive and also very comfortable for extended driving. I jumped on a PCA classified ad and paid about the same as I would have for a new pair of Pole Positions with mounting hardware. I feel the GT3 seats are worth every penny. They really make each drive feel like an event and look fantastic in the 996 interior.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i have the corbeau lg1 in leather with sub mounts and lumbar support in my car. thats a steel tube from a with injected foam over the frame to share the seat. in leather shipped was under 1400$. great buy reclines, and with the lower thigh bolster easy ingress and egress.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:01 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by split71
Just picked up a set of Euro GT3's a few months back. They are fantastic fixed back seats. I mold into them perfectly @ 5'11" and ~185lb. I haven't had a chance to sit in the others, but I imagine they are close in fitment and comfort.

On the other hand, the Euro GT3's, unlike the FIA counterparts, have what seems to be a 'lifetime' race seat capability (minus damage of course). When you pick up the aftermarket stuff, the seats have manufacturer dates that would require reinspection and possible replacement. This is also highlighted above in the post about the Recaro Pole positions not being fully tested before being sold to the public.

The Euro GT3 seat is the best bang for the buck, imo. It offers the ability to stay in the car and be used as a track safety equipment for the life of it minus damage. Good value.
The OEM Euro GT3 seats are not legal to race as they do not carry FIA certification. You can do DEs or TT with them but not legal to race in any PCA class. With that said, they are the best value of any seat out there because the retain 100% of their value, actually appreciating slightly.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Got any pics of them in the car? I'd be interested to see how they look in our cars.

Do they tilt forward as well for rear access?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i have the corbeau lg1 in leather with sub mounts and lumbar support in my car. thats a steel tube from a with injected foam over the frame to share the seat. in leather shipped was under 1400$. great buy reclines, and with the lower thigh bolster easy ingress and egress.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gophaster
Got any pics of them in the car? I'd be interested to see how they look in our cars.

Do they tilt forward as well for rear access?

Thanks
tilt forward and recline. i had the leather material which doesn't have any seat logos on them. heres a few pics
the only thing i found out was i couldn't use the recaro seat rails i had. these seats mounting points are fairly narrow. so i used the corbeau seat rails. they work find but are short in the length of the rail. on a planted technology base i would like them to slide back a bit farther

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	436290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	436291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	436292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	436293  
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flewis763
If someone made something close to a 997 gt2 seat for less than 3k it would be awesome but no one does.
I have connections to a smaller co. specialized in composites. Now that we have a set of originals to work with, we were thinking of doing a small production run of similar seats (not exact copies, as we do not want to have any issues with Lear, the OEM manufacturer, but probably very close).

Lear is the manufacturer of all of the Porsche seats starting with the 997s, btw. I am not 100% sure on the 996 (aside from the GT3 seats, of course).

We've even looked into having them tested. This would mean selling a minimum of 50+ pairs and adding over €14-1500/pair to the price though.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
yeah! i bet there would. but they're gonna be five grand new! or close.. no??
Our target price would be around €3000-3500. We'd need a min of around 20 pair sold to make it worthwhile, though.

We've been toying with the idea...

Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
steve i can only wish.. still way to rich for my blood/car. its all about value vs spend, and my cars sitting at 25k/30 MAX!! so euros make that what, at least! 4k us. looks like i wont look at my seats every time i get in..or i'll find a trade + cash... SOME day lol

man, i missed/lost a LOCAL! like NEW set of leather pole positions with alcantara inserts for 25/2800!? i could've kicked myself. was listed here too, so was no CL scam. oh well. caught snoozing again ...

Old 01-03-2016, 10:39 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Thanks for the pics...Yeah, I think I prefer without the logos too. I can only imagine how much more supportive these are than the standard stock seats. Price is really good too. I'm thinking having a shop reupholster the stock seats would be more than 1400(which these seats are for the pair)??. I like the look of the Corbeau A4 as well, wonder if they would work too.

Just to be sure I understand, you ended up using Corbeau rails? They are specific to 996 or are they universal? Did you have to buy anything besides the seats and the rails? Sorry for all the ?'s...guess I need to do some reading on this subject.

Thanks!

tilt forward and recline. i had the leather material which doesn't have any seat logos on them. heres a few pics
the only thing i found out was i couldn't use the recaro seat rails i had. these seats mounting points are fairly narrow. so i used the corbeau seat rails. they work find but are short in the length of the rail. on a planted technology base i would like them to slide back a bit farther

Last edited by gophaster; 01-03-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned
Thanks for the pics...Yeah, I think I prefer without the logos too. I can only imagine how much more supportive these are than the standard stock seats. Price is really good too. I'm thinking having a shop reupholster the stock seats would be more than 1400(which these seats are for the pair)??. I like the look of the Corbeau A4 as well, wonder if they would work too.

Just to be sure I understand, you ended up using Corbeau rails? They are specific to 996 or are they universal? Did you have to buy anything besides the seats and the rails? Sorry for all the ?'s...guess I need to do some reading on this subject.

Thanks!
most aftermarket seats need a base to mount on to install in the car. i use planted technology. gmg also makes a base and recaro has some floor mounts as well. the rails allow the seat to slide forward and back. the rails i had are for a 14" spread. the corbeau seat base is 4" narrower so a 10" rails set has to be used to bolt to the seat and allow the handle to attach to both sides of the seat. about 80$ a set so 2 sets for 2 seats. they just aren't very long to allow more forward to rear sliding.
yes 1400$ for the pair in leather with inflatable lumbar support and sub mount slots cut in. shipped usa. try racingseats.com lots of info. some seats have surmount options some don't. some in leather some not. this seat for all i was looking for. they are a bit thick in the padding but com portable. my best choice hands down would have been recaro sportster cs but WAY out of my seat budget

Old 01-03-2016, 12:47 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i think i confuse ( without pics in front of me )
the pole positions from the sportster CS but the sportsters are really the ones. they are the ****. either way, thats some serious coinage unless you're lucky enough to find someone parting a car.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:05 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Actually, the Euro is not that strong anymore. €3000 is somewhere around $3250.

If we decide to go ahead I will likely try to make some sort of announcement here anyway.
We shall see...

Old 01-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Great info, thank you very much. I will continue to study.

One more question I thought of. How does the leather on your LG1 seats compare to the stock leather in the car??

Need to see if I can find a Corbeau dealer local to me so I can see these puppies in person.

I'd like to see the Recaro Sportsters too but I'm pretty sure those are going to look amazing in person... Damn its hard for me to justify their cost though.

most aftermarket seats need a base to mount on to install in the car. i use planted technology. gmg also makes a base and recaro has some floor mounts as well. the rails allow the seat to slide forward and back. the rails i had are for a 14" spread. the corbeau seat base is 4" narrower so a 10" rails set has to be used to bolt to the seat and allow the handle to attach to both sides of the seat. about 80$ a set so 2 sets for 2 seats. they just aren't very long to allow more forward to rear sliding.
yes 1400$ for the pair in leather with inflatable lumbar support and sub mount slots cut in. shipped usa. try racingseats.com lots of info. some seats have surmount options some don't. some in leather some not. this seat for all i was looking for. they are a bit thick in the padding but com portable. my best choice hands down would have been recaro sportster cs but WAY out of my seat budget

Old 01-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned
Great info, thank you very much. I will continue to study.

One more question I thought of. How does the leather on your LG1 seats compare to the stock leather in the car??

Need to see if I can find a Corbeau dealer local to me so I can see these puppies in person.

I'd like to see the Recaro Sportsters too but I'm pretty sure those are going to look amazing in person... Damn its hard for me to justify their cost though.
its not german leather so theres no comparison. it is better than vinyl and smells great once conditioned

Old 01-03-2016, 06:19 PM
OK, cool thanks again. I will see if I can have a look at them somewhere around here.

its not german leather so theres no comparison. it is better than vinyl and smells great once conditioned

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's talk seats