996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

6tt to 7GT2 RS - build odyssey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 AM
VERYDISCO is on a distinguished road
I so like this thread...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Thanks Very!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevemfr

It was good to be able to check details, though. For instance, the cut in the fender has a plastic edge-protector-profile clipped over it under the flare. I do not know if I like this idea: good place to trap moisture. On the other hand, the hard edge will chip paint quickly with rocks and such... Not sure what I will do yet.
Might not be Porsche spec, but could mask off and paint that area with a rubberized undercoating. Basically paint it, then mask what the area that that plastic trim piece would cover and paint on a rubberized protector.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
That is actually a good idea. Thanks! I have to disassemble the front end and put everything together properly, so I will report back then. And I will def keep this in mind as a possible solution. I am not so fond of Porsche spec in this case.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:41 PM
VERYDISCO is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about using Plastidip Spltime?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 PM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
Fantastic thread. In for updates

Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
I'm curious... With all the bodywork needed and what not, wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to buy/modify a 997 to GT2 specs?

Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 AM
Knew this would happen sooner or later. RTFM is a known acronym, does RTFT work? JK TXTurbo. Explained in (probably much too much) detail further up.

I purchased this as a project that someone else had given up on. If you paid anywhere near retail for the GT2 RS parts alone, you'd be spending more than I paid for the entire project. So for me it is very worthwhile. In general tho, you are absolutely correct. It is not worthwhile. And if you read my first post, I was looking for a 997tt when I found this project.

In reply to another 6tt owner who was toying with the idea of turning his car into a 7 GT2 RS on p.1 of the thread:
Originally Posted by stevemfr
But to make a conversion like this worthwhile, you'd have to find a donor car for around $20k. If you go all OEM parts on the conversion, you are looking at easily $30k+ parts and labor (it is easy to spend much more, too lol). This puts a completed car at around $60k total, you are def in 997tt territory. And then you still have a 996 - and a modified one to boot. If you do it because YOU want it, you have good connections to a body shop (really good prices!), and spend a long time sourcing the parts from wherever they become available at good prices, it might make sense. But I definitely would NOT do this to an undamaged car. A 996tt that was spun into a guardrail and smacked on all 4 corners without serious damage to the chassis would be a good starting point. They are around. But TBH, it is much easier and probably makes much more sense resale-wise to start with a 997tt.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 AM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
I figured that would be the response . I assume you don't have a budget but if you do are you above in line or trending to finish below?

I am curious what you will insure this for once you are done as I am sure it will be magnificent. Be curious to know at the end what percent are 996 turbo vs 997 turbo, and gt2rs parts

Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 AM
I am sliding down the slope at a very high rate - and it's getting steeper. The original budget is out the window. LOL

The car is titled as a 996 turbo and will remain that way.

Parts-wise:
- Body - externally all OEM 997tt except doors (including all door internals and glass), roof, and windshield. Underneath there are only minor differences between a 996 and 997
- Mechanical / electrical - 996tt
- Suspension - 996 and 7 are more or less the same. I plan to swap uprights to 7 GT3/2 parts in the future. All the rest will be standard 996/7 upgrade parts: LCAs F&R, toe links, etc.
- Brakes - 380mm Cup/7tt all around with Cup calipers
- GT2 RS specific parts - OEM Spoiler/Decklid, OEM rear bumper w/carbon parts, OEM front bumper w/ spoiler and carbon grills, aftermarket carbon trunk lid, aftermarket carbon IC ducts
- Interior - all 996 except 7 GT2 RS folding buckets (or possibly 6 GT3 one-piece buckets depending on which I find to be more comfortable), Tequipment 6/7 rollbar

Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by VERYDISCO
Are you talking about using Plastidip Spltime?
Sorry Very,
I meant to answer this several days ago: Splitime is referring to regular rubberized undercoating.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:30 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I would suggest having it professionally appraised afterwards, keep your receipts. Then have a stated value insurance policy done for it. Trust me, with a special car you don't want to rely on your insurance company to do you right in the vent of a problem - they will cut your throat in a moment and not think twice. Their little blue book is almost certain to not reflect current pricing let alone the effort you'll have expended into this car. Been there, done that, got screwed - and I just watched someone barely escape this recently.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will def do. My insurance agent lives right behind us, so I'm sure we'll get this worked out.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^ tough to get an evaluation on what youre building that'll be honored across the board should that ever become necessary?. but man steve, i rabidly support what youre doing and can't wait for the finished product.

keywords: "original budget & out window etc ".

i salute you nonetheless!

Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Can't just get an appraisal and expect it'll be honored if they haven't insured for it beforehand. Stated value is the any to go with an appraisal to back it up - ask your insurance company about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 6tt to 7GT2 RS - build odyssey