996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ready offer up a pair of intercoolers to the o'll girl!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Ready offer up a pair of intercoolers to the o'll girl!

After a lot of cutting, grinding and cursing, the SRM/Sam intercoolers are ready to join the car. All I need to do is rivet and seal the upper ducts that were severed.
I used a combination of techniques I saw here to get to this point. Everyone has been extremely helpful!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_161119[1].jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	440309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_155301[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	440310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_155240[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	440311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_161138[1].jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	440312  
Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I like the pic of the carnage on the floor haha! Nice work bud you will be rewarded now!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
One thing, if you haven't already, rinse and blow air through the intercoolers. Make sure there's no stray bits of aluminum or plastic in there. I see you have them sealed but if you didn't do it before do it now to be sure. Looks like you had different clips for the intercooler ducts than I did, hope that didn't pose too big an issue - you're in the home stretch :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
One thing, if you haven't already, rinse and blow air through the intercoolers. Make sure there's no stray bits of aluminum or plastic in there. I see you have them sealed but if you didn't do it before do it now to be sure. Looks like you had different clips for the intercooler ducts than I did, hope that didn't pose too big an issue - you're in the home stretch :-)
I noticed some stray aluminum when I unwrapped them and cleaned immediately with some brake cleaner and my air gun.

Thanks for the heads up, though!

What clips were different?

Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I thought the clips holding the duct halves were different but looking closer I think you just used zip ties to make a loop - neat idea!

Cleaning mine I ran the garden hose through them both ways and thoroughly flooded them :-)

Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
My experience with zip ties shows them to be unreliable, especially when subjected to heat cycles. What are the consequences of one of them breaking? Maybe those become a service item during spark plug/coil R&R?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Highlander
My experience with zip ties shows them to be unreliable, especially when subjected to heat cycles. What are the consequences of one of them breaking? Maybe those become a service item during spark plug/coil R&R?
My car may see 2500 miles a year so I figured I'd change the plugs every January and check on things.