996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Massive power/tq drop on Dyno, possible cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
I'm not sure if that diagnostic with the car off will do any good. Logging airflow, ignition angle, lambdas, boost, etc. with a wide open throttle pull is what you need. Either with a Durametric or Cobb device.
Back in the day before all the choices of amazing exhausts we have now, guys were making holes in the exhaust through the exhaust tips to bypass the mufflers section. That's probably what Bobby did.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
if you want to sort out the car yourself, get a durametric cable and hook it up and log the sensors that Todd wants. My recomendation take the car over to Maxrpm Motorsports across the river from you in Bremerton and talk with Alex the Owner. Hes the closest Porsche shop who can do more then bolt on modifications. he did the Work on my Car, and a few other big builds. He also works with Todd at Protomotive on tuning and Cobb if thats the route you want.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Since you are local to me, I've got one VIN left open on my enthusiast version durametric cable if your tuner doesn't provide a cable for you to log with.

Do a boost leak check first and fix any that you find and if you're still having problems after that is resolved I'll let you use my cable to log if you don't have one.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
nlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Since you are local to me, I've got one VIN left open on my enthusiast version durametric cable if your tuner doesn't provide a cable for you to log with.

Do a boost leak check first and fix any that you find and if you're still having problems after that is resolved I'll let you use my cable to log if you don't have one.
I will do a pull today from 3k to 6.5k as that is the redline.

I will not be able to check for boosts leaks till this weekend.

Thank you everyone for your help, will try to do the data logging using the OBD Link MX module i have for my car.

Will invest in the Cobb later on.

Seattleturbo thanks for the offer after I check for leaks and check the gapping on my spark plugs if the issue is not resolved may have to take you up on the offer.

If I have time this week will try to make the trip over to Maxrpm.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996tt550hp
Easily watch the hp dip down then go back up i had that issue and had knock. Fixed it and now its smooth all the way to redline. The graph should be going up not down.
Yeah that does not always mean its knocking.i mean u cant look at that dyno graph and tell absolutely its detonation.If its pig rich which it looks to be then usually its not knocking because the cylinders are cool from the rich condition but it can happen even if its rich.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
nlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of lightnlcxmoses is a glorious beacon of light
Just did some data logging it did not produce results in a graph...

Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Were you able to pull a spreadsheet file from it showing the data over time? A graph is easy enough to create, its the readings that are important.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Here are the logs the have been attached in excel format.

Attached Files
File Type: csv

Last edited by nlcxmoses; 03-22-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Converting the important things into a graph currently. Should have the data up soon.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
I checked the lambda values (afr) and they are somewhat correct and is not at all what the dyno sheet said they were.
I checked three of your files.

Looking at the boost i see you are as high as 1,3bar/20psi between 5100 and 6100rpm before falling back to 14psi/1bar
But it looks to me that you are doing a 2nd gear pull, you need to do this in at least 4th gear or there will be dificulities reading and getting logged the proper numbers.

Buy my advice is to call markski and get it retuned and he will also help you with the boost leak and whatever else there may be with the car.
To me the figures looks odd.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Were all of these full throttle runs up to 7k? Looks like it let off around 5500 due to the spike in lambda

From what it looks like, the AF is still dropping down below 11 at 3700 and starts going back up at 5200

What PSI/BAR is the car supposed to be tuned at? I know its only the tool's estimation but it looks like it thinks that the car is getting near 1.9 BAR of pressure at 4200 which is where your AF starts dropping down.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ronny-

Buy my advice is to call markski and get it retuned and he will also help you with the boost leak and whatever else there may be with the car.
he has in all likelyhood the single best tuner in the country for the stock dme. todd at protomotive has been building and tuning these cars for decades. the file is just hugely old
Originally Posted by nlcxmoses
Found the mod sheet that came with the car.
does bobby tune like he spells?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ronny-
I checked the lambda values (afr) and they are somewhat correct and is not at all what the dyno sheet said they were.
I checked three of your files.

Looking at the boost i see you are as high as 1,3bar/20psi between 5100 and 6100rpm before falling back to 14psi/1bar
But it looks to me that you are doing a 2nd gear pull, you need to do this in at least 4th gear or there will be dificulities reading and getting logged the proper numbers.

I did all the pulls in 3rd gear except for 1 of the pulls in 2nd gear

My dash displayed 1.0/1.1 bars the entire time I did these pulls.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by su_maverick
Were all of these full throttle runs up to 7k? Looks like it let off around 5500 due to the spike in lambda

From what it looks like, the AF is still dropping down below 11 at 3700 and starts going back up at 5200

What PSI/BAR is the car supposed to be tuned at? I know its only the tool's estimation but it looks like it thinks that the car is getting near 1.9 BAR of pressure at 4200 which is where your AF starts dropping down.
No I did not do the pull to 7k i left off close to 6k.

The car should be at 1.2/1.3 bar when i did a pull earlier today it hit 1.3 but that was in 4th gear.

I really think I do have a boost leak. as every time I did the pull in 3rd gear it only hit 1.1.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
what you are likely seeing (and im to lazy to pull up the logs) is a very old tune, combined with a few boost leaks old plugs old coils etc etc. since the car is new to you start from scratch. do a 4 gear pull from 3k to redline. send it to todd. do a full service on the car plugs coils fluids all the stuff that likely hasnt been done in a long time. then a full boost leak and smoke test. fix all the leaks load the new file and re dyno. from there you should see a marked improvement

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.