996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

JIC/ZMS sports suspension kit impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 PM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
JIC/ZMS sports suspension kit impressions

Was looking to tighten up my suspension for some Canyon/HPDE fun and began researching suspension setups a few months ago. Was originally interested in KWv3 and Ohlins setup but then I saw the new JIC/ZMS suspension setups. From my initial research JIC was big in Porsche with their Cross suspension setups which was well received by the community. Their new stuff is much higher quality, made-in-usa with a new design from the cross setup. Talked to a few people on the boards about the owner Jon and I decided to meet up with him at his shop since he is local.

Jon really knew his stuff and I immediately was comfortable with putting my car in his hands. I decided on the single adjustable sports kit with 8kg/12kg springs (447/671 lbs/in). His kit comes with solid adjustable mounts and front swaybar drop links. He also gave me advice about what suspension components that I might need for my application. I was going to perform the install myself but after speaking to Jon for an hour, I could tell that he could install/setup the suspension much better than I could. I let him have it for the full treatment including install/ride height adjustment/alignment.

Installation pics (Jon actually let me know that you dont need to remove the front wheel carrier to install suspension as shown below):

Alignment:

When I picked up the car he explained all the alignment settings that he made along with the ride height that he choose. Then he took me on a ride to show me how compliant the ride was. Even with the stiff springs, I was not bothered by the uneven Los Angeles roads. I took the car on a several canyon runs, the car is transformed. Car is more responsive, with less body roll, more control in long corners, tight corners. Definitely better than the disconnected stock suspension that it replaced. My suspension is also GF-approved as I took her out several times without any complaints from her. Happy GF, happy life.

Final Ride Height:

Thumbs up to Jon and JIC/ZMS.

Last edited by Enclavet; 04-25-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:15 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Nice review, thanks for sharing. I have 8 year old JIC cross coilovers on my car. Same springs as yours but I find them to be a bit too stiff. I'm also getting more bounce than I would like which might be due to the age of the dampers and them needing to be rebuilt. I've emailed Jon and he says they can rebuild them but that obviously involves me removing them, shipping them, waiting, reinstalling and new alignment. I'm reluctant to go through all that without being certain the rebuild will improve the ride. So, still weighing my options.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jeanmarcboilard
Nice review, thanks for sharing. I have 8 year old JIC cross coilovers on my car. Same springs as yours but I find them to be a bit too stiff. I'm also getting more bounce than I would like which might be due to the age of the dampers and them needing to be rebuilt. I've emailed Jon and he says they can rebuild them but that obviously involves me removing them, shipping them, waiting, reinstalling and new alignment. I'm reluctant to go through all that without being certain the rebuild will improve the ride. So, still weighing my options.
I assume that you already played with your damper settings? If you have and no change, I think you would need to do a rebuild.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Yes, they're dialed down. I think you're right.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:28 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Good stuff, nice looking setup. Upgraded suspension + a better alignment makes a huge difference on these cars. I used the same method of screwing down the stock springs off the perch. Works like a charm

Old 04-25-2016, 03:40 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Yes, they're dialed down. I think you're right.
Make sure you're not set too low and bouncing off the bump stops.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by sinKing
Make sure you're not set too low and bouncing off the bump stops.
That's a good point, it's not crazy low but I'll check.
When I push down on the front fender, I can barely budge the car down to begin with.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 AM
desiromeo812 is a name known to alldesiromeo812 is a name known to alldesiromeo812 is a name known to alldesiromeo812 is a name known to alldesiromeo812 is a name known to alldesiromeo812 is a name known to all
What was the price for this kit if you dont mind me asking? You can PM it to me or just list publicly.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:46 PM
cheeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you ever decide what you wanted to do with your JIC? I'm in the same boat. I just spent $150 on an alignment too.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:27 PM
I haven't done anything. I think they're doing what they're suppose to, I'm just not use to really stiff sport suspension. They were amazing on the track, barely any roll in the car.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo211.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	713.2 KB
ID:	469579  
Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM
I haven't done anything. I think they're doing what they're suppose to, I'm just not use to really stiff sport suspension. They were amazing on the track, barely any roll in the car.
Cool, that's good to hear. I have a similar exeperience; the coilovers are stiff, shock bodies are dry and all seems to be in good condition but the car bounces around 30mph, and some of the adjustment ***** no longer have any clicks so I'm wondering if it's time.

When I ran konis on another car, it would always take an extra "half bounce" to absorb the road, meaning the shocks worked best when it was coming out of compression back to neutral height. I wonder if these are the same.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
I have the old CROSS setup. The ride is acceptable for the handling improvements in my opinion. However, there are some weak links. I broke the sway bar link connectors on both sides. They were cheap pot metal. I had some fabricated out of high strength steel. No probs since. I bet the new set up is on par with what should be on our cars regarding quality.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:00 PM
dos531 has a spectacular aura aboutdos531 has a spectacular aura about
I'm currently replacing my older JIC Cross setup with the new JIC/ZMS setup. Jon said the new setup has more rebound damping, so it will be less bouncy even with identical spring rates.

Old setup will be for sale here soon.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Jon really knows his stuff and is great at revalving, refreshing shocks. I ran the JIC for the better part of 10 years. Phnemonal on track and for me faster and easier to drive fast than the JRZ I have now. JIC are not as agood at dual purpose though. They are a track shock for all intents and purposes. If Jon still serviced them I would still own some.

That being said my car is too fast to guinea pig a new design which is why I don't have his new ones.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Jon really knows his stuff and is great at revalving, refreshing shocks. I ran the JIC for the better part of 10 years. Phnemonal on track and for me faster and easier to drive fast than the JRZ I have now. JIC are not as agood at dual purpose though. They are a track shock for all intents and purposes. If Jon still serviced them I would still own some.

That being said my car is too fast to guinea pig a new design which is why I don't have his new ones.
The person corresponding to me emails went by the name of Jon, though he liked to spell it JON. I think he's Japanese and is the actual gentleman servicing the shocks. I told him I wouldn't be able to take the shocks off until May at the earliest since it's my only car. He was very disappointed lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JIC/ZMS sports suspension kit impressions