996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Unobtainium

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
My Unobtainium

Hi everyone,
I talked a bit about it last year when I had it installed by Chris but did not have a chance to post up any sound clips of this exhaust in action before the snow rolled in due to a very busy schedule last year. So now that I've had the time I figured I would get some video, and post it up.
Chris built an incredible s.s. dual 3.5"-3" w/ x- pipe system for my car. His welding skills are second to none and he is a very knowledgeable man in his field. He has done some exhaust work for me in the past for my b5 s4 and around here has made quite a name for himself with the enthusiast crowd, he is a great guy to work with.
Now in regards to my 996tt exhaust I didn't think a catless, mufflerless setup like this could be so civilized while cruising at speed, it's mind boggling. I had a catless titanium setup previously from another manufacturer which sounded great but the drone at highway speeds would give me a headache and it was almost impossible to conversate with your passenger. This exhaust's drone is essentially nonexistent, highway cruising is now a pleasure, it's easy to talk to each other while driving and you don't have to have the stereo turned up to ten just make out what song is playing anymore. Now with my setup (K24/68 HTA billets, headers) the exhaust is very audible when on the gas, mash the go pedal and the car screams to redline with a thunderous roar. It's hard to say what I love the most, the full throttle roar, the snaps and pops from the overrun while downshifting or the now clearly audible woosh of the turbos that sound like they will suck in children and small animals alike if they venture too close. The hardest thing for me with this exhaust was to have it installed and not to display it on the wall as it is truly a work of art. Now for the pic's and vid's.

Didn't realize until after but my sunroof was tilted open, so it would have been even quieter.

Last edited by The Pork Hunt; 05-09-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Sounds great!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Indeed it does sound good, should've done a wot past the camera though lol, it gets rowdy! Hope to have my car back this weekend if anyone in the NOVA area would like to hear one of these exhausts

Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
hands down my favorite exhaust. one day i will have one!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Indeed it does sound good, should've done a wot past the camera though lol, it gets rowdy! Hope to have my car back this weekend if anyone in the NOVA area would like to hear one of these exhausts
If you're coming down 95 you should swing by my house! I would love to check out your setup!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
sounds good

Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
That is sweet, I'm sure it will be bringing a smile to your face every time you drive your car.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I would like to know the exact length of those branch resonators.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Yeah, lots of folks want to duplicate them it seems.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 05-19-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Had this pointed out to me that should explain to folks how it works and provide the math to do it yourself

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-drone-489463/

Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
So i went out and did some measurements in my dronemobile (also picked up ice cream). I got a peak of 107 Hz at 2100 and 129Hz at 2600. Did the math in the above link and the 2100 comes out at 105 Hz and the 2600 at 130. So measurements are pretty close to calculations

The 107 Hz is the dominant one so if i do the math on it base on the link i get .801m or 2.627 feet for the 1/4 wave resonator. This is based on the speed of sound listed for 20C ambient 343 m/sec. i took a guess of exhaust being at 400C that puts the speed of sound at 520 m/sec. if i use this i get 1.215 m or 3.986 feet. Take away from all this: They need to be longer than we can make them. This why UW has the wavy pattern. It is a trade off between making them longer and adding elbows that reduce the efficiency of the resonator or Q

I am going to try adding this to my Kilne knock off and i will report back

Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You can make the end a bigger outer diameter pipe that can be adjusted and tacked in place to fine tune.