996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercooler Install Instructions/Time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Intercooler Install Instructions/Time?

Hey Guys,

Going to be doing intercoolers this weekend. Any detailed instructions? Can't really seem to locate anything that still has valid pictures in a thread (most pictures are dead).

How long should I anticipate? Read report of 1 hour up to 4.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Try this one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...le_Removal.htm

Its a pretty straight forward job but may take time depending on your resources space and how fast you work. My first time removing the stock bumper probably took me 15-20 minutes, now I can do it in like 5.
What took longer than I expected was trimming the stock ducts. depending on what intercoolers you have you may have to trim a little or a lot.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Cool, right on. I generally (unfortunately) get insomnia on the weekends (which is weird since I only sleep 4-5 hours a night anyways). Figure I'll start this one morning about 3 am. See how it goes.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You are a nut!
I'll text you some pics. It's about 4 hours with the trimming if you take the time. You are essentially taking the lip off the upper and lower ducts so that they sit flush onto the IC core and a little around the inlet/outlet if they are in the way. They should clip using the outer factory outer clips.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
You are a nut!
I'll text you some pics. It's about 4 hours with the trimming if you take the time. You are essentially taking the lip off the upper and lower ducts so that they sit flush onto the IC core and a little around the inlet/outlet if they are in the way. They should clip using the outer factory outer clips.

i just found wagners instructions...they say 2X units and each unit is 5 minutes...so an hour....vs your 4

Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
i just found wagners instructions...they say 2X units and each unit is 5 minutes...so an hour....vs your 4
Are you installing the Wagners and what size?
Please update us on the intercooler install especially fitment in the ducts and cages..

Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Hey Guys,

Going to be doing intercoolers this weekend. Any detailed instructions? Can't really seem to locate anything that still has valid pictures in a thread (most pictures are dead).

How long should I anticipate? Read report of 1 hour up to 4.
I think I missed where you mentioned what size and brand intercooler you went with.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
LOL i'm talking about the job A-Z. If you do it in less than 4 dinners on me
Or is the car already apart?

* Wagner 3.5's

Old 07-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
LOL i'm talking about the job A-Z. If you do it in less than 4 dinners on me
Or is the car already apart?

* Wagner 3.5's

gonna start pulling apart tonight....so the 1 hour is once i'm in there

Old 07-01-2016, 01:34 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Stock size replacement? Easy! 4.5 or larger? Longer!

Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Sam, UPS man isn't here yet. But I'm ready.

Ironically the hardest part has been getting the hex bolt for the bumperettes off. Hercules must have put them on. I had to cut a Allen wrench and put it on a socket attached to a breaker bar to get loose

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo509.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	452564

Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
Get those rubber hoses off too. And clean the turbo outlet with brake cleaner for a nice grab when you clam on the new silicone. Dude you are looking younger each day

Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Methanol cleans the hoses good and makes them sticky, hairspray to lube and hold for dam near forever.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
while you have the bumper off reroute the access cable down to were the bumper outlets are at. when you reinstall the bumper tiewrap it to one of the vent slats from the inside. now all you have to do is reach in and grab it when the battery dies and you need to open the lid

Old 07-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor
When all else fails at 30psi, HAIR SPRAY!

Good one Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.