996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Quick/Easy, no ball joint removal coilover install DIY video.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Video Quick/Easy, (no ball joint removal) coilover install DIY video.

So you want to install coil overs quickly and easily huh??? ... Let's do it!!

Note: ++This video and info really pertains to the removal and install of the FRONT suspension of 996 Turbo. The rear suspension is quite easy and straight forward. There are a few excellent diy's that go into more details which you should also have a look at if you are getting ready to upgrade your suspension.++

Before I did my coilover install I had read a few guys mention that it was possible to remove the front stock suspension and more importantly install new front coilovers without the need to separate the front tie rod ball joints. Although I do have ball joint separators so it would not have been an issue I still wanted to see if it was possible.

My conclusion: Yes, it is possible!

What I discovered is that all you have to do is loosen (not remove, just back out about 1/2") four bolts that hold a plate on each side under the front sway bar and lower control arms (see pic below). By doing this the sway bar drops slightly lower and gives you room to push down on the wheel carrier and have the newly mounted coilover swing under the fender and into position.

Here are the basic steps (please remember that safety is VERY important so use proper jacking points, jack stands, etc. You may not be able to see it in my video but there are jack stands in place. I never work on cars without them!) :

Raise both front wheels off ground and remove wheels. Leave front end on jackstands. You do this so that nothing is pre-loaded. You can start on either side but there are a few steps I did that need to be done on both sides before moving on. See below.

1. Remove bolt holding the shock to the wheel carrier.
2. Remove brake caliper and brake line holder + sensor connector that are behind brakes. Carefully hang caliper off to the side with zip ties or similar.
3. Unbolt/remove the drop links. (on both sides so sway bar can hang down)
4. Remove the small lower spring perch bolt. This will allow you to spin the perch around.
5. Spin the perch until you can see a small recess under the spring. Use a flat screw driver to pry the stock spring out of the perch and then wind/screw the spring down the perch and over the shock body.
6. Remove completely the 6 allen bolts from inner CV joint to diff. Once allens are removed pull inner CV joint towards outside of car to shorten overall length of driveshaft.
7. Loosen 4 bolts holding plate for swaybar bushings and lower control arm. (Back out these bolts about 1/2", no need to remove fully.) You must do the 4 bolts on passenger AND driver side regardless which side you start on. (see pic below to see which bolts)
8. Remove the three bolts holding top mount/camber plate of shock inside frunk.
9. Compress the shock piston so that you can swing the entire shock/spring/wheel carrier outside of fender.

Reverse process to install new coilovers. I suggest lowering coilover perches to lowest settings on bench and then once they are installed in the car follow the specs as to where to set the perches in their correct range according to the coil over manufacturer.

Below are the 4 bolts that should be loosened about 1/2" so that the sway bar can hang slightly lower.

Pic below is of passenger side, you will find the same on driver side.

Last edited by gophaster; 07-03-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00 AM
m2fit4u2 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed instruction and video on this install.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
No problem....hope it helps

Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Great job. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:53 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
I used this method to remove both front axles for CV boot replacement, and I'll be using it again for my suspension install next week. I can attest to it being a very quick and easy method vs. popping ball joints which can potentially rip boots. Great video OP!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys...yup, it really does make it easier.