996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New rotors and pads , quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MikeR397
My 02 996tt is due for rotors and pads. I am going to DIY, but wanted to make sure what I'm looking at looks ok (street use) and am open to suggestions. I just started tracking my 360 and would love to track the Porsche, but unfortunately at 6'6'' with a helmet on my head is in the ceiling (ie touching with small bend to side) so I don't need to consider track equipment (unless someone has a suggestion, but knees in the dash/wheel and head in the ceiling with a helmet doesn't seem like it's going to work).

Brembo rotors, front and rear: $455 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Bre...FXKEwu&vxp=mtr

Pads: Open to suggestions here, prefer low dust and quite obviously. Was thinking something like $261 for these Hawk pads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-HPS-Bra...5VUvD-&vxp=mtr

Anything else I need to get to DIY (no warning yet)? Am going to follow this guide: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-replace.html
Couple suggestions:
If your current rotors aren't really worn, no reason to replace. The rotors will crack between the holes long before they wear out. Might as well use up your current ones first. Every time you remove the calipers to change rotors you have a good chance of stripping out the threads on the aluminum upright, so change as little as possible.

Get dedicated race pads like those from from PFC or Pagid and use them only for track. 996tt is too fast & heavy for any street pad to hold up to track use.

Tie off the brake wear sensors (just unplug from pad and zip tie). They will burn up at track temp and throw false alerts. Most Race pads don't have the holes for the sensors anyway.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have some BHP pads for sale that do not put out much dust at all. I did a bunch of research on this a while a back and have not been disappointed. PM me if interested. $100 delivered. They are for a front stock 996 Turbo brakes.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM
mrrrkva is on a distinguished road
Did you ever sell your pads? I am interested. Lets do it!