996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New rotors and pads , quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
New rotors and pads , quick question

My 02 996tt is due for rotors and pads. I am going to DIY, but wanted to make sure what I'm looking at looks ok (street use) and am open to suggestions. I just started tracking my 360 and would love to track the Porsche, but unfortunately at 6'6'' with a helmet on my head is in the ceiling (ie touching with small bend to side) so I don't need to consider track equipment (unless someone has a suggestion, but knees in the dash/wheel and head in the ceiling with a helmet doesn't seem like it's going to work).

Brembo rotors, front and rear: $455 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Bre...FXKEwu&vxp=mtr

Pads: Open to suggestions here, prefer low dust and quite obviously. Was thinking something like $261 for these Hawk pads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-HPS-Bra...5VUvD-&vxp=mtr

Anything else I need to get to DIY (no warning yet)? Am going to follow this guide: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-replace.html

Last edited by MikeR397; 09-04-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:33 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Flush your brake fluid through while you are at it.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 PM
infinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to behold
I would look at going 350mm 997 with a caliper spacer if you have to replace the rotors. Not sure if there is any reason to keep the 330 stock size.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Am definatley doing fluid while at it.

Don't I need new calipers if I go to bigger 997 rotor?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:16 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You need some spacers for the bigger rotor setup.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
no reason to go bigger anything if your not tracking hard. the oem setup is much better than most realize with correct pads and rotors. i was able to score a free setup to upgrade to 6/4 calipers and 350mm rotors but would never have paid to do it

Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
^^this
Even for the track, you can go quite far with good pads and fluid.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 AM
So those Brembo rotors and Hawk pads I linked too look like good choices?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
personally i wouldnt use drilled rotors. sebro slotted rotors will do the job quite nicely. for pads the hawks dust like a sandstorm. try some pfc carbon metallic or endless pads. not cheap but well worth it as they have a long lifespan and low dust with great braking ability

Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
I had Hawk HPS's on my M3 and a 32Krazy said, they are very dusy. Also, if you get the dust wet, then let it dry it ends up like concrete!
I tried EBD RedStuff on my 996TT. Their website states ""EBC lowest dust fast street pad..." If this is their lowest dust pad, I'd hate to see their worst! It seems like just pulling off the driveway leaves a visible film.
Some aftermarket pads do not have the little notch for the brake wear sensor. Not an issue for some, but you should be aware of it.
Depending on how old and what temperatures your brakes have been exposed to, the brake wear sensor may simply crumble in your fingers when you remove it from the old pad. They are pretty cheap so having spares on hand is a good idea.

You definitely need to have an impact screw driver available. The little screws that hold the rotor on can be a bear to get out and it's very easy to round off the inside. A little anti-seize when you put them back on is a good idea.
Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
ArmorAll makes a spray on coating for wheels that once treated makes brake dust pretty easy to wipe off. If you've got dusting issues this stuff could certainly help and sure has with my brakes.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:22 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
ArmorAll makes a spray on coating for wheels that once treated makes brake dust pretty easy to wipe off. If you've got dusting issues this stuff could certainly help and sure has with my brakes.
great tip! Probably silicone based, like the tire shine stuff.

djcooper@rennkit.com

Old 09-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highlander
I had Hawk HPS's on my M3 and a 32Krazy said, they are very dusy. Also, if you get the dust wet, then let it dry it ends up like concrete!
I tried EBD RedStuff on my 996TT. Their website states ""EBC lowest dust fast street pad..." If this is their lowest dust pad, I'd hate to see their worst! It seems like just pulling off the driveway leaves a visible film.
Some aftermarket pads do not have the little notch for the brake wear sensor. Not an issue for some, but you should be aware of it.
Depending on how old and what temperatures your brakes have been exposed to, the brake wear sensor may simply crumble in your fingers when you remove it from the old pad. They are pretty cheap so having spares on hand is a good idea.

You definitely need to have an impact screw driver available. The little screws that hold the rotor on can be a bear to get out and it's very easy to round off the inside. A little anti-seize when you put them back on is a good idea.
Good Luck!
Anti-seize not necessary. The factory manual doesn't call for any lube on those parts at all. The only lube call out is just a thin coating of some kind of lube (Optimoly TA) to the centering surface of the wheel hub.

Those screws do not have to be tight. Just snug enough the screw has no play in the hole. The screws are only intended to hold the rotor to the hub when the wheel is unbolted.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Macster
Anti-seize not necessary. ...
I agree we don't need any here, but N.E. MI? Just thinking about driving up there will cause the screw to rust to the rotor and/or hub...

Old 09-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I use it on my XFR. Works amazing, lasts a long time, longer than the rest of the car staying clean. Otherwise wheels turn black before I get back from the car wash!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New rotors and pads , quick question