996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Smog has never been so easy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Smog has never been so easy!

So I took possession of a highly modified 996 Turbo last month (3.8L GMG WC build) and didn't know what I had in store for the OR DEQ (Smog). I had a check engine light yesterday so cleared it then realized I also cleared all of my readiness codes. I followed the link on this forum and after two tries got them all to ready. I also turned the Giac down to Stock mode.

Brought it to DEQ and was done in 20mins total. The guy doing the work had s****** a new GT3RS with 200miles the previous day that was brought in on a trailer and taken away the same. That's one way to keep the mikes and dirt to a min!

My GMG WC exhaust never caused an issue and passed his visual. They don't "sniff" here, but mine has ~200cel cats anyways.

More first impressions later, but have to say the different programs Stock, Pump, Race) are fun to play with. I'm on Stock now for the Smog, and it's quite linear in power (comparing to my 997.1 GT3). Pump and Race get a bit harder!

996TT welcome to OR! She's already made it through her first ice storm as well!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
What mods are on the car?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
1998 MY + cars, Ontario 'smog' is even easier...OBD2 only -passes the switched on 'readiness';s and go...

Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 PM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Do you have links handy for the readiness DIYs?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is a GMG built 3.8L, 5bar/72lb injectors, Tial Alpha 24/30 turbos, GT2 tranny, pinned water lines, GMG exhaust, motions.... and much more. Car is really sorted!

Here is what I read and used- Obd2 readiness drive:
Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.
Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.
Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.
Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear* for approx 5 mins.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Picture of my Silver fleet- wasn't planning on all Silver (truck/trailer/car) but at least it hides the dirt better than my White GT3!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:03 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
We have roadside drive-thru sniffers, I went through one today in my daily and was surprised to see the "passed" sign light up. Surprised because I've never seen them have a sign out like that, oh and it's a TDi lol. I'm hoping it's in the same place tomorrow, if the weather isn't complete garbage I hope to roll the 911 through and see what it says. I'd love to skip the process! Only counts if within 30days of expiration but I'd like a benchmark :-)

Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Nice car. I have to pass emissions every other year here. Last time I put the stock exhaust back on and loaded the stock tune. I drive around for an hour or so at low rpm and take it in. It idles and drives fine at low speed even though I have injectors. No codes and is able to pass the sniff test.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:17 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Nice car. I have to pass emissions every other year here. Last time I put the stock exhaust back on and loaded the stock tune. I drive around for an hour or so at low rpm and take it in. It idles and drives fine at low speed even though I have injectors. No codes and is able to pass the sniff test.
Do these cars still need to pass the sniff test? I thought, at least in California, any car 2000 and newer just does visual (usually just checking that your engine bay looks "stock" and you have cats) and obd test

It has been a while since I've done smog though so who knows.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 AM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Picture of my Silver fleet- wasn't planning on all Silver (truck/trailer/car) but at least it hides the dirt better than my White GT3!

Unrelated, but which wheels are those. FronFront look like Forgestar F14 but the rear look different. May just be the angle.

Beautiful car!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by G-Rat
Unrelated, but which wheels are those. FronFront look like Forgestar F14 but the rear look different. May just be the angle.

Beautiful car!
https://www.gmgracing.com/store/other-1/new-arrivals/wheels/gmg-wc-gt-monoblock-1.html

Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Yes those are the ones. I also have a few sets of hollow twists (all-season Contis now on car) and these black CCWs in NB offset. Just need some ~20mm spacers for the back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.