996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cleaning turbo housing threads with tap and die video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:38 PM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by devilock138
Can you use an extractor to get it out? Its reverse threads bores into what's left of the stud and should get it out of there.
I drilled the remains out and tapped new threads, fixed and all sealed up. On to the other side I chased all my old threads and they cleaned up well but one stud that was beyond saving I tried to remove using every trick possible and it snapped at the barrel then my extractor snapped in it lol. Drilling through the bolt no big deal, drilling through the extractor is totally different.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:04 AM
spiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the video. Ran into a similar issue doing a turbo-back install. Thanks to uwrasta993 for helping me out! He was the bolt-master.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 AM
devilock138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sveach756, breaking taps and extractors or any of that ultra hard metal really sucks. I suppose you had to go up a size for the holes you had to drill out and tap. What are your thoughts on helicoil or timesert in that application?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 AM
devilock138 is an unknown quantity at this point
And thank you for keeping the neighborhoods safe, spiderman!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 AM
mxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by devilock138
Sveach756, breaking taps and extractors or any of that ultra hard metal really sucks. I suppose you had to go up a size for the holes you had to drill out and tap. What are your thoughts on helicoil or timesert in that application?
If you want to save it you need a set of carbide bits like this https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/77215606 or remove the part and bring it to someone like me who has a machine shop and has all the tooling.

Time-sert would also work fine but you still have to get thru whatever you broke off in there.

BTW, I can't speak to how things would go under the car with a drill. I always have the part on the mill when doing a job like this.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, it's far from catastrophic. The drilling out will just take longer and I'm fairly certain the original threads will be salvageable once I get past the extractor.
Shawn

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.