996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Damaged coolant pipe question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
Damaged coolant pipe question

I feel like an absolute *******. Removing my old turbo inlet for a new setup everything was going fine until water appeared from my inlet... The saw I was using punctured the coolant return pipe at the L shaped bend closest to the block highlighted below. The hole is about 4mm and the width of a saw blade, is this something that can be welded? If not is this pipe replaceable without dropping the engine?
Thanks...
Shawn

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo558.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	474327  
Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
even it could be welded it would likely have to be removed to get proper pentration and cleaning. may as well replace it

Old 04-16-2017, 12:24 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You could maybe patch it with a hose over it with 2 clamps.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Yea I'll end up replacing it/ have a shop replace it, I'd be risking a lot to patch it and hope it holds. I was getting a coolant flush this week or next just not a fun accident. I hate coolant and swore it off years ago so I guess timing kind of works out.

Can it be replaced without dropping the engine? I'm still on a learning curve with the car.
Thanks
Shawn

Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 PM
A local Porsche shop recommended I take the pipe out and they could weld the hole. I dropped the engine a few inches, drained the coolant, and it turns out that part 99610606970 is too long to take out with the engine in the car :-( I've JB welded the leak some more and will put everything back together and pressure test tomorrow. There wasn't anything on the internet about this part number or coolant pipe so I figured I'd update the thread.

I'll be buying a replacement for whenever I have to get a new clutch/ pin the coolant lines.

Moral of the story use short blades when taking the oem turbo inlet out, the aluminum piping is very weak.

Shawn

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Table spoon of jet seal in the cooling system will help seal any small leaks. Used this when I had a rad leaking , worked great until I removed the red and had it re crimped.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM
That stuff always scares me for some reason, if the JB weld doesn't work I'll look into it.
Thanks
Shawn

Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sveach756
That stuff always scares me for some reason, if the JB weld doesn't work I'll look into it.
Thanks
Shawn
Was given to me by a reputable rad shop to stop the leak until I took the cooling system apart. Put several hundred miles on the car after adding this, seemed to work really well....just a thought.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
We've all done mods where something peripheral is unexpected damaged. No fun, but it happens. Take it as a lesson learned.

Couldn't help but think of this infomercial:

Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
But wait before you order! You also get this wonderful battery operated fish scaler...

:facepalm:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.