996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New PSS10s - Where does this go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
New PSS10s - Where does this go?

I have some nice new PSS-10s to put in today but they came with some rubber washers that are not on the installation diagram. There are only 2 so, either front or back - don't know... Any ideas?

Thanks for any guidance...

Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Prob over the top hats, likley the rear.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
You're not blowing my skirt up with your oozing confidence...

Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Prob over the top hats, likley the rear.
OK, you are the winner - Bilstein confirmed your placement. They don't put it on the completed assembly in the box because it always falls off when people take them out of the bag.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
My thought process was that the fronts already have a rubber deal with the bearing setup so it must be the rears. You can take your steering bearings apart to clean them and re pack with grease if you arent getting new ones.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Nice set up. Hope you like them as much as I do. I have my front and rear set to the lowest setting for street and it still is a significant improvement over stock. Enjoy!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 AM
I got all the pieces in yesterday and set the height for all corners. When I took it out for a test, I'm getting a nasty clunk on the slightest bump on the front left. Sway bar???

Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Akatsuki... is on a distinguished road
make sure u dont set the rears too low. Apparently these things dont handle well if it goes too low in the rear. Google it.. there's a thread about it somewhere. I didnt find out until after the install.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:35 PM
All figured out - the top nut was loose on the front left - clunk is gone.

Initially, I set all the shocks to max height in the range recommended by Bilstein. I put the car down and measured the heights on all the corners and compared. I then did the math to figure out how to make them all equal (more or less).

I had to lower the rears about half an inch and raise the fronts the same, so I'm out of spec a little on both, but I'm hoping not enough to matter unless I go four-wheeling.

Bilstein specs allow for an adjustment range of 5 mm in the rear and 10 mm in front - that's not a lot of play. (0.2 of an inch rear, 0.4 of an inch front) but the appearance was obvious that the rear was higher. It looks pretty good now.

I'll drive it around like this for a while and see if I want to make any other adjustments.

Last edited by Slider; 04-29-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 PM
OK, I've had a chance to try this out... I need to review before I forget what it was like before...

Let me start with saying that I thought the ride was pretty perfect before the switch to PSS10, but I've got to say, the difference is quite noticeable. Firm but not too much - I set softest on the front and 5 (mid-way) on the rear. When going over a wart type speed bump, the rebound feels pretty even between front and back so I think it is well balanced. The ride in twisties feels even more stable than before. The car is about 3/4 inch lower than before. Overall, I am very happy with the new feel - worth the money for sure.

Note - I used a spring compressor to get the old shocks out, so I only had to disconnect the driveshafts in the front. The only other thing touched were the drop links and the shocks so it really feels like I don't need a new alignment - I could really tell last time I replaced front end parts that things were out an alignment was required. Not so this time.

Last edited by Slider; 04-29-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Do these work w/ front axles or must they be removed? If you don't mind me asking where did you source these from? Thanks, looks great.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 PM
The biggest alignment issue when going lower is the rear toe. Too much will wear out the insides of your tires in short order.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by BMiller33
Do these work w/ front axles or must they be removed? If you don't mind me asking where did you source these from? Thanks, looks great.
I just disconnected from the front diff. It just takes a few minutes - 6 bolts & the bottom cover. 10 minutes. That was just required for installation - the shocks are fine with front diff connected.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.