996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drove a Cayman S at my Porsche dealers launch party

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
my cayman got about 1k miles on it now. will be track test 1/30, 2/2/ 2/3 2/20. but so far on streets it's a hoot. handling is incredible. hp is down a bit, but i really have no need for more hp. let see how many GT3 and TT i will blow by at laguna seca next week.
So in your assessment so far, the Cayman outhandles the GT3, or only on the really tight stuff?

Should us GT2/3 guys be worried? Or better yet, trade our cars in for the Cayman S? I was going to buy one, but more for my sister... who thinks it's utterly cute.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Should us GT2/3 guys be worried? Or better yet, trade our cars in for the Cayman S? I was going to buy one, but more for my sister... who thinks it's utterly cute.
kim rock'in a Cayman S, way to go tyson! better yet, swap the GT3 motor with her i bet u'll be rock'in it every single day.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
cynicali is infamous around these parts
Russ, if I may, how tall are you?

Old 01-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Mad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AMG ETR
Its already been done by our German parent (FVD DE) and a couple others
Evan
For real? Pics/info pls?

Old 01-22-2006, 05:38 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
its growing on me. was conv a friend to buy one but he like the 997 much more

Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
mikejones997 is infamous around these partsmikejones997 is infamous around these parts
i drove one and i did not like it at all. a honda s2000 handles much better.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
I am waiting for the convertable to come out.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Life Dies
I am waiting for the convertable to come out.
LOL, you mean a boxsterS. FYI it's already out

Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know why top gear reivew is important at all. i dont trust any reviews, i trust the results when i drive it.

my cayman got about 1k miles on it now. will be track test 1/30, 2/2/ 2/3 2/20. but so far on streets it's a hoot. handling is incredible. hp is down a bit, but i really have no need for more hp. let see how many GT3 and TT i will blow by at laguna seca next week.

Save the BS talk for the Miata and the Minicooper guys.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hamann7
So in your assessment so far, the Cayman outhandles the GT3, or only on the really tight stuff?

I think I'll do the same.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Junior Mint
Big Carrot is infamous around these parts
I drove one for a couple of days last week, and I really liked it! My only gripe is the power. If that thing had another 100hp, I'd think hard about trading my turbo in!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
mooty, are you going to track it with the 19's?
________
I have a set of profil 10 and K58’s coming. But wont get here until mid feb. those will run 235 and 285. but until then, I have to just run PS2 on the 19”

_________

Tyson, are you the Tyson who recommend me to stan the radar man. Great guy, thanks.

I am comparing a stock cayman with my gt3 with motons. Currently the cayman pushes in slow turns. I doubt I can dial that out until I put coil over on it, lower it to get 3 or more deg of camber up front.

Cayman doesn’t necessarily handle better than GT2/3. you have to drive them differently. GTx mostly slow in fast out, put pwr down early with LSD and rear wt bias. Cayman is more of a momentum car, enter fast, accelerate smoothly through the turn.

Should us GT2/3 guys be worried? Or better yet, trade our cars in for the Cayman S?

No, I would keep both GT3 and cayman. On the street, I feel cayman is a superior car than my GT3 due the spring rate and the fact that I drove very slow on the streets. Ask stan and he will tell you why ;-)

I was going to buy one, but more for my sister... who thinks it's utterly cute.

It is a cute car, nothing wrong that.
My GT3 is rather cute like a bug too, LOL.

Save the BS talk for the Miata and the Minicooper guys.

Are you trying to be sarcastic or offensive?
And miata is one of THE BEST cars ever made. NorCal sm champ is faster in his miata than 70% of the GT3’s in POC/PRC on the track.
If you can tell my your lap time on a track, I can tell you if I will blow by you or not. Certainly you’ll be faster on the straight, but anyone can be fast on the straight given the hp.