996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cold start engines chirp.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM
kamkaz is infamous around these partskamkaz is infamous around these parts
Cold start engines chirp.

I drive the car every couple of weeks. The last few start ups this little chirp has started. I'm use to hearing this when I start the car after a car wash but not on cold/dry starts.

Take a listen:

You can hear it at the 7 second mark.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:44 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
How old is your drivebelt?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Good question. I'll have to check the service logs.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
r6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to all
The belts are cheap ($25 or so) and not too bad to change. Throw one on and see if it goes away likely time for a new one for preventative measures any way.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
Yea pull off the drive belt and start the car - it might be an idler or one of the pulleys - thats an easy way to isolate it if it doesn't it on every start up. just don't run the car too long with the belt off for obvious reasons

Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
battery is old and at low voltage, lima belt slips for a second

look at the rearlights during starting and hear low cranking rpm....

maybe change both and be happy

Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll do both at the next service. I'm sure it will fix it.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Someone on the facebook group had a similar issue that wound up being the turbo blades rubbing on the housings because the bearings were worn. Check for that if it isn't the belt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.