996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is this 996TT worth $39,000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:31 AM
shreezybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Deleted

Deleted

Last edited by shreezybaby; 08-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:07 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It looks to have been pretty neglected. How are the brakes? Did the dealer do the missing maintenance? Did you take it for a drive? Have you had someone who knows cars look at it? Pre purchase inspection from a qualified independent mechanic?

At first glance the car does not look well maintained. There is a bit of a paradox here. You could buy a car for 39k that needs 10k worth of work or you could buy a car with everything right for 50k. Assuming that it has has the needed maintenance completed and it checks out OK in a PPI, it might be worth the risk for a bit lower price. If the engine wasn't cared for you could wind up with a 15,000 to 20,000 dollar problem.

Remember that even though these cars are selling at obtainable prices they still cost every bit the part of a 130,000 dollar car to maintain. There area few pretty expensive common issues with these cars as well.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 AM
stevej is an unknown quantity at this point
all of the cosmetic stuff is fixable, for a fee, I guess the maths need to stack up for purchase and repair costs versus a car that has a higher price but better condition. The paint damage on the bumper is due to a bump, worth knowing if there is any other damage under that bumper cover. I also would prefer the standard wheels, ideally in mint condition, more money to spend if you are like me. Personally I'd pass on this one, non X50 cars with a mild tune are great to drive.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 AM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
The problems shown can add up to $3-4K to fix. I wouln't pass on an 03 X50 at that price for what's shown, nor the miles.

The question is: what mechanical estimate was the PO facing that caused him to walk away from the car?

Old 04-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Deleted

Last edited by shreezybaby; 08-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Good price, but there are a number of red flags.

I'd pass unless you're mechanically inclined and looking for a project to tinker on.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:42 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shreezybaby
Here's the weird part. When I mentioned the value of the car diminishing due to high mileage, the previous owner casual mentioned rolling back the odometer (and my jaw dropped). ...
Odometer rollback on this platform is no trivial thing. You have to find a freelance tech able to do it and willing to participate in a felony. It's my understanding dealer service equipment can alter mileage up to about 900 miles on the odo, and then it's basically burned into the electronics.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Last edited by shreezybaby; 08-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:57 PM
That's the thing. This Porsche is located at a highly rated shop in Los Angeles and the sellers older brother owns the shop. Would a PPI reveal odometer rollback?
No. The ECU and instrument cluster are bound to the VIN and each carries a certain amount of the vehicle's information. The instrument cluster can be swapped and 'taught' the VIN of the car/ECU it's paired with.

PM me with the name of the shop, if you want, as I'm local and know most of them. I can tell you if they (in my opinion) are likely to have the hookup for an instrument swap.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Rook is an unknown quantity at this point
Wouldn't it be more worth the effort and expense to get a TT in better cosmetic shape and change out the turbos and a tune to get x50 performance? It sounds like the OP isn't buying this car for a collection or investment. Might be a better way to get the performance without the added repair costs.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rook
Wouldn't it be more worth the effort and expense to get a TT in better cosmetic shape and change out the turbos and a tune to get x50 performance? It sounds like the OP isn't buying this car for a collection or investment. Might be a better way to get the performance without the added repair costs.
This

Old 04-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
There's ample 996 Turbos out there in the mid to low 40s....I'd pass on this one, it's not been loved and looks pretty shabby.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I may be interested in selling mine ..

I'm in SoCal, Laguna Hills area ... 2002 black, on brown. Only about 35k original miles, I'm second owner. In the middle of a divorce, been debating a sale, haven't had time to deal with it. I have 2 sets of rims, original decklid, stock exhaust etc. and few other goodies laying around. Simplifying my life would probably be smart right now. Won't sell for 39k, but would probably let it go for mid 40's.

Car is in WAY better shape than that, it's not a concourse show car, but it's in great shape, a good driver. Some mods listed in signature, I would consider selling, probably in the mid 40's if you are interested.

Private message me if interested.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for advice, a bit new to the forums!

Been browsing the countrywide 996 market to get into my first P car and found one that is in relatively rough shape but being offered for a reasonable price. The car in question is a black/grey 2003 996TT x50. The seller is firm at $39,000. It's a local Porsche shop that purchased the car from the only previous owner because he decided to upgrade rather than pay for the service. There are 88,000 miles on it from the single owner with detailed carfax history but no receipts or printed records. The only advantage is that it's an x50 and it's within my budget. The higher mileage is making me wary, alongside the damage to the paint, wheels, and interiors. Photpographs attached

What to do, oh guru's of 6 speed? Should I wait a few more months until a lower mileage car comes on the market or just bite the bullet and get my feet wet in this thing? It started out for sale at 42,000 and the seller has come down to reality in the past 2 months of tire kickers.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I think this car might make some sense at around 34 to 35k range. It will probably sit until it gets down to that or until they fix it up.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Miadragon is an unknown quantity at this point
This the same one listed in the automobile for sale section?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this 996TT worth $39,000