Rear wiper necessary? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored by: Vivid Racing

Rear wiper necessary?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 PM

spooltime will become famous soon enough
Rear wiper necessary?

When I bought my car, the car's rear wiper had been removed. I was given the removed wiper parts with the car. I'm now thinking about reinstalling the wiper assembly.

From an aesthetic point of view, it's difficult to argue that the car looks better with the rear wiper arm in place. But having had the experience of being caught in a prolonged rainstorm while driving recently, rear visibility is a very real problem without the ability to wipe the rear glass, even with Rain-X applied. Hence, the dilemma.

I went back and read most of the older previous debates on this issue on this forum and others, and it seems clear that there are proponents in favor or retaining and in favor of removing. I'm not worried about damaging my paint by mishandling the wiper blade or the few extra pounds it represents if reinstalled, so I'm just torn between function and form. Anyone that's reinstalled the rear wiper and glad they did?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 PM

xmaciek82x is a splendid one to beholdxmaciek82x is a splendid one to beholdxmaciek82x is a splendid one to beholdxmaciek82x is a splendid one to beholdxmaciek82x is a splendid one to beholdxmaciek82x is a splendid one to behold
I never used mine. I wouldn't say it is necessary.

I would not go out of my way to remove it, but I would also not go out of my way to reinstall it either.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM

White Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rock has a reputation beyond repute
Deleted mine. Looks way better
Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM

splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
Mine was removed when I bought the car, I have not missed having it and I drive in all weather conditions.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Was uninstalled when I bought it, never missed it even driving in heavy rain. Maybe if you drive through heavy snow it would be useful?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
When I bought my car, the car's rear wiper had been removed. I was given the removed wiper parts with the car. I'm now thinking about reinstalling the wiper assembly.

From an aesthetic point of view, it's difficult to argue that the car looks better with the rear wiper arm in place. But having had the experience of being caught in a prolonged rainstorm while driving recently, rear visibility is a very real problem without the ability to wipe the rear glass, even with Rain-X applied. Hence, the dilemma.

I went back and read most of the older previous debates on this issue on this forum and others, and it seems clear that there are proponents in favor or retaining and in favor of removing. I'm not worried about damaging my paint by mishandling the wiper blade or the few extra pounds it represents if reinstalled, so I'm just torn between function and form. Anyone that's reinstalled the rear wiper and glad they did?
The rear window wiper is behind me.

What's-a behind me is not important. (To borrow a line from the movie Gumball Rally.)

I left my Turbo's rear window wiper installed. I drive the car in all weather and the rear window wiper comes in handy in rain/bad weather.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM

Stebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud ofStebo has much to be proud of
I feel compelled to mention that the engine is also behind you...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:39 PM

Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebo View Post
I feel compelled to mention that the engine is also behind you...
Yes. And I left it as it came from the factory.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 AM

JH996tt will become famous soon enough
I deleted the wiper. I bought the car with it, and I used it only in heavy snow conditions...
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

SeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
I found it to be pretty useless in the rain/mist/general crap weather here in Washington. I deleted it before last winter, and never missed having it.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Have never ever used it, took it off immeditately. It also lifts at speed and then slams back down when decelerating, not something i was interested in with the speeds i see.

Bumperplugs.com, 20 minutes, a few lbs shaved off the car and it looks a billion times better as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM

BMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant futureBMiller33 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rock View Post
Deleted mine. Looks way better
Same. Spray some rainx or equiv on the windows you wont even need the front wipers.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM

911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Deleted mine, don't really drive in the rain much and the available slot on the horseshoe can be used for a trans fluid pump.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM

'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
it rains in SoCal seven days a year on average ( 42 if they stop chemtrailing )

so, i fully appreciate the rear wiper, every time there are copious rain events. it helps to see the chevy pickups that invariably barrel down upon us often.

added rear window visibility, ( or not ) is not a test of one's manhood. that said, if looks are all ( or most ) that matters? sure, wiper delete.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
I use mine every time it rains - not so much when driving, mostly whenever I reverse. This point has been bantered around many times. You have to go with what makes you feel good.

I've never had the wiper lift at any speed (any speed!).