996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stupid #16 check valve IPD Plenum vs New intermediate piece

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:32 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I did this job and don't see how you can do it and feel confident with yourself without taking the DR valves off.

Attached Images   

Last edited by BauerR; 11-20-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 AM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
I will take them out then. Appreciate.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uwrasta
I will take them out then. Appreciate.
when i replaced mine with the ipd 68 there was no need to remove the dv's ( if my memory serves, but its been a few years.. ) but it WAS a bitc* and there was some "wrestling" involved with re-instaiing the new plenum. it had to even be gently "tapped" with a hammer and this even with the motor mts loosened and lowered iirc. again its been quite some time.. but it's a very tight fit up there.

i think you'll enjoy the part. i noticed some add'l "low end" torque. though I'm sure some would say thats because i wanted to feel justified in having made the swap to the ipd.

happy wrenching and GL.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:04 PM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
Getting ready to remove the plenum over the long weekend. Hope all goes well. Still have to remove the oil filter housing then diverters and throttle body. Any words of wisdom out there

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo779.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	516625  
Old 11-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
you wont be able to remove the oil filter housing. the bolts are in the back of the motor. you have to work around it you can unbolt the a/c compressor leave the lines attached and lay it on a towel over the bumper that helps with a little room

Well that sucks. I’ll work around it. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:28 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
you wont be able to remove the oil filter housing. the bolts are in the back of the motor. you have to work around it you can unbolt the a/c compressor leave the lines attached and lay it on a towel over the bumper that helps with a little room

Originally Posted by uwrasta993
Well that sucks. I’ll work around it. Thanks for the input.

Look at my pix. You can remove the housing for sure. You have to take out the DV's and you'll see more.

I would suggest ordering the housing gasket.

Last edited by BauerR; 11-23-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by BauerR
Look at my pix. You can remove the housing for sure. You have to take out the DV's and you'll see more.

thanks i was looking for a thread or post for taking that house out. how many bolts and anything I have to look out for?? I assume I must take the oil filter off? or does the houseing come out complete with filter.

rd

thanks

Old 11-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by uwrasta
thanks i was looking for a thread or post for taking that house out. how many bolts and anything I have to look out for?? I assume I must take the oil filter off? or does the houseing come out complete with filter.

rd

thanks
I changed my oil at the same time, so I took it out but I don't remember if you needed to.

There are 3 bolts and a gasket. Buy the gasket.

Also, did you back out the brass fittings on the IPD and use some Teflon to seal the threads?

Name:	Screenshot_20171123-095159.png
Views:	68
Size:	886.5 KB
ID:	516644  

Last edited by BauerR; 11-23-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Got it thanks. I’m gonna change my oil too but thought I would do it after the install so I can start the engine and warm up a bit. I have the seal and will back the fittings out. I don’t get the part till Monday. This weekend I’m working on my backup camera and double din. I will also tackle the removal. Thanks!!!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Now is also a good time to invest in some zip ties and zip every damn thing you see!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Thanks. Yep will do!!!!!!

Thanks happy thanksgiving.

Did the homelink mirror and stereo backup camera upgrade too

Hope I don’t run into to much trouble with the plenum!!!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo116.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1,005.5 KB
ID:	516647

Name:	photo995.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1,011.0 KB
ID:	516650

Name:	photo59.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	516649

Name:	photo367.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1,007.1 KB
ID:	516648

A few pics that may help when I removed my plenum. You can remove the oil filter housing - the blue towel covering the oil flow port after removal. Just be systematic in removal. Ensure you take pics. The plenum is a pain. It must be perfect when replacing as all things have to line up. Good luck! Brock

Old 11-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Well got it out. And I didn’t take the diverts out or the oil filter housing. Just slipped right out. Maybe I’m just lucky. I did drop the motor down about 2-3 inches and had a sh.t ton of space. Now just waiting for my IPD to get here Monday. Didn’t even take the cross bar out.

Name:	photo295.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	516667   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo941.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	516668  
Old 11-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
See it's not that bad at all but can be made out to be a bog deal. Shops charge 2 hours and many do it at home. The key is to check all those old fittings and lined. Zip tie everything you can and pressure test when done.
Nice job!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
I hope your install goes as smooth as your removal. Post some pics of your car when you get a chance. I almost bought that same color combo 3 years ago. That’s a nice car you got.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.