996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why do chipped TT's blow MAF's more often than stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Why do chipped TT's blow MAF's more often than stock?

After ready tons of your posts about blowing MAF's, I've noticed over 90% of the cars have been chipped. In fact I can't think of a thread I've read where this has happened to a stock setup. What's the deal?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Up On 3 Racing is infamous around these parts
You will probably find that most of those cars have some sort of aftermarket reusable performance filter such as K&N. Performance filters are good but must be oiled properly. If they are over oiled and get on the MAF sensor you will need to replace it. Quality software shouldn't be the reason for a MAF sensor going bad.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 AM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Up On 3 Racing
You will probably find that most of those cars have some sort of aftermarket reusable performance filter such as K&N. Performance filters are good but must be oiled properly. If they are over oiled and get on the MAF sensor you will need to replace it. Quality software shouldn't be the reason for a MAF sensor going bad.
Ok that makes some sense. I assume you can chip without putting an aftermarket filter in. Maybe that's the way to go?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 AM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
This is not a problem that can be blamed 100% on aftermarket filters, or software. Many stock cars have these issues as well, you just dont hear about it nearly as much because Porsche warranties the MAF instead of blaming it on the filter. I see this on a daily basis. The oiled filters definately shorten the service intervals on the MAF though. Marc

Old 02-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
After ready tons of your posts about blowing MAF's, I've noticed over 90% of the cars have been chipped. In fact I can't think of a thread I've read where this has happened to a stock setup. What's the deal?
Mine went with a stock ECU (34k miles), a Porsche OEM air filter and an exhaust (my only mod).

As for the MAF going bad...

It will either go back because the "hot wire" is getting too much voltage (fries it) or the wire gets contaminated by dirt (aftermarket air filters *can* contribute to this with their oil). A chipped ECU can have incorrect parameters...

Old 02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
MAF's fail for a few reasons, contamination can send them off, but can usually be cleaned. Another often overlooked problems is actually the MAF plug, poor or corroded connections, and the MAF gets blamed when you replace it with a new one, and the only thing you really accomplished was to renew the continuity ( good contact ) and blame the MAF. When a MAF craps the bed, the car runs poorly or doesnt run at all, and you get all sorts of codes, that can be traced back to the MAF with a little deductive logic. Generally the failure mode has been the substrate lamination, delaminating and allowing corrosion of the circuitry or the pc ( printed circuit) breaking.
Look for TSB's online, generally the VW and Audi sites have a wealth of info.
I have gotten a lot of my background info from VW/Audi techline, and of course servicing VW/P/A.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I dont think filters or chip mods are always directly responsible for MAF failure. I think these MAFs have a finite lifespan and can gradually deteriorate over time. Of course oil or water can rapidly destroy a MAF but without such insults many MAFs fail randomly over time. I think when you mod the car you suddenly force alot more air past the MAF which instantly exposes any deficiencies which may have developed slowly over time. Thus mods get associated with MAF failures imo...

Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
MAF's have been blamed on failed marriages too

Old 02-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Sup sharky, I've heard racecars will do that too.
Did your goodies show up yet?

Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jayster
Sup sharky, I've heard racecars will do that too.
Did your goodies show up yet?
They did indeed! Thanks man.. hood isn't that bad and is easy to fix.. you're right

Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Shhhh! That hood was really f'd up when it left here! Honest *****.....LOL

Old 02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
DeeMan007 is infamous around these parts
Sorry for the questions, but the search function is not working still...
1. How do you know if the MAF has blown?
2. Is it just replaced with an OEM MAF or is there a better aftermarket performance one for that?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DeeMan007
Sorry for the questions, but the search function is not working still...
1. How do you know if the MAF has blown?
2. Is it just replaced with an OEM MAF or is there a better aftermarket performance one for that?

Thanks!
1. If it is blown, the ABS/PSM lights will come on and stay on. If it is contaminated, then you will get low-speed hesitation/jerkiness (when cruising in 1st gear). Sometimes, a contaminated/dirty MAF can be cleaned. You might also see that your tailpipes are more "white" after hard runs which indicates that you are running more "lean" under hard throttle.

2. You should replace it with the Porsche turbo OEM part. Some people have suggested replacing it with the Boxster MAF, but that will cause a higher idle and other issues unless you are modded to stage 4 or higher. If you need a new one, give Stephen (Nathan, actually) a call at Imagine Auto and they will ship you over one rather quickly.

I just replaced mine and did a few tests (some with the Boxster MAF) less than 1 month ago. If you have any questions, please drop me a PM. I might be able to save you some heartache.

Last edited by Ruiner; 02-23-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:07 AM
DeeMan007 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the insight...I'll PM if I need some more help!

Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by jayster
Shhhh! That hood was really f'd up when it left here! Honest *****.....LOL
Nah it really wasn't/isn't much of a fix. Teeny!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why do chipped TT's blow MAF's more often than stock?