996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Outkasted is on a distinguished road
exhaust question

I am gaining knowledge on my new to me 996 turbo. I bought it with an aftermarket (FVD) exhaust that has a horrible drone. I talked to couple of shops and they say there is no where to mount anti-drone tubes. What i want to know is will a 2016 991 turbo S exhaust fit the 996. Reason being is i found one for pretty cheap and consider this a better option than going back to a stock 996 exhaust because i assume it is a bit more free flowing, could be wrong. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
no, that will not fit your car. Look into Kline, mine is drone free

Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks, appreciate it. Going to look for a stock one.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
The anti drone pipes can fit, you just need to be creative. They did help but still more drone than the stock exhaust (it drones also, just not very much).

Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Oh wow I love that. Going to see if I can get that done somewhere

Old 08-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Third-reef/ Do you know what diameter pipe you used and how long. My estimate is 25 inches total length for the right frequency for me. Just curious how long you fit under there.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
The resonator tubes are 2" and about 30" long. The problem with that calculation is that it requires an assumption about gas temperature and it dramatically effects the length it calculates. I tried to get every picture i could of resonators on 996 turbo exhausts and then replicate the length

Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I stopped the drone by making a big washer and putting it on the inside of the exhaust tips. It takes a minute to remove if you want total free-flow at the track, and it was completely effective in getting the wife back in the car.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:20 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It's so hard to build an exhaust for these cars that doesn't drone. Exhaust valves are a good option that I've considered.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Slider, could provide a picture? I was thinking the same think because i have the same problem with the wifey.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Maybe it's a wife problem? Mine just did a 1500 mile road trip in mine w/ 3" catless EB Werks? No mufflers, no cats.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM
I saw sliders washer idea in another post with a diagram. Currently trying to find a welder or someone who can perform either option the tubes or washer. Washer is my choice. Seems easiest

Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Outkasted
Oh wow I love that. Going to see if I can get that done somewhere
You have to have the helmholz resonators at the proper length and diameter in order for them to provide optimal drone canceling. I have several of the UW exhausts and the exact calculations are part math and part trial and error to target the precise frequencies. As such, this is why some people see less than perfect results. Ideally you would want the length of the resonators adjustable so that you can fine tune the results.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 PM
I may tweak the length of mine. While it has decreased the drone significantly, it also shifted it from 2900 down to about 2200 rpm. I could trim it and put a slip on shorter or longer pipe with out needing to take the bumper or the exhaust off.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
You have to have the helmholz resonators at the proper length and diameter in order for them to provide optimal drone canceling. I have several of the UW exhausts and the exact calculations are part math and part trial and error to target the precise frequencies. As such, this is why some people see less than perfect results. Ideally you would want the length of the resonators adjustable so that you can fine tune the results.

An easy way to accomplish this is buy using slip fit pipes. Then you can drive/adjust as necessary and set them where they work properly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exhaust question